Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132275 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #765 on: January 07, 2020, 05:37:35 am »

Execution is everything. A suitably loopy movie on that premise could be gold. This was apparently trying to be a drama.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 07, 2020, 09:17:40 am »

Execution is everything. A suitably loopy movie on that premise could be gold. This was apparently trying to be a drama.

Oh... Oh no...
Love, scriver~

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 07, 2020, 10:08:21 am »

There's a movie out called "Lucy in the Sky".
...drove 950 miles cross-country wearing adult diapers...
As it turns out, the character doesn't wear diapers at any point at all in the movie, you know, probably what people remember most regarding the 'true events'
A wholly pointless exercise
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 08, 2020, 11:45:25 am »

...Marketing fail, obviously. Because had I known of it, I'd totally have seen that

Executions for Marketing. Got it.

Edit: I'm currently hate-watching Ready Player One, and taking notes to see if it's as bad as I expect. I'll have to post my notes when I'm done so you don't need to watch it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 01:41:14 pm by Iduno »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 17, 2020, 01:29:16 pm »

I watched the first ~41 minutes of the movie, which I recommend nobody else ever do. I mean, it isn't the worst movie, because you'd have to put in effort to accomplish that, and probably hire Adam Sandler.

Here are my notes as I watched, so you don't have to. I don't know anyone's name, and the movie doesn't seem to say anyone's name more than once, so they all ended up with nicknames. Also, most of the movie is in VR, so you also have to learn gamer tags if you care enough to know who they are.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 18, 2020, 12:24:14 am »

I decided not to pay any attention to Ready Player One after reading reviews of the book. Apparently the author spends 5-6 pages doing nothing but listing TV shows and movies from the 1980s and saying how he's better than you because he's seen every episode. I mean, the only value in that is in going "oh I remember that show" or something.
The specific 80s trivia that the actual author is into turns out to be the secret sauce that makes you Bill Gates in that universe.

Basically it's pure Mary Sue / self-insert stuff where knowing about the precise 80s stuff that the author is into (and only that stuff - the character and everyone in the story is apparently entirely unfamiliar with any 80s British TV or cult stuff, for instance) makes you some sort of globe-ruling Uberlord.

It's not as clear because many of the fans of the book are immersed in that sort of 80s American pop-culture stuff, but if you changed the theme slightly it would be apparent what a nerd power fantasy wankfest it is. For example, I like some animes, but there are a tons I've never seen. Imaging if I wrote a book about how the richest man in the world was a huge anime fan, and he left clues related to all sorts of animes, and whoever got the clues right inherits the wealth and his company. ... Except, they were only clues about animes that I've seen. So readers would be left wondering why nobody in this world remembers Dragonball, Pokemon, Naruto or Bleach.

A story written by a trivia nerd, about how a trivia nerd becomes the ruler of the world because his specific trivia knowledge somehow becomes world-shatteringly important can't help but devolve to self-insert fanfic level.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 12:41:11 am by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 18, 2020, 05:00:37 am »

As I recall, I shied away from it because it was obvious time period/culture wank and I didn't see how any good could come from that. Being author wank on top of that just means the nails in that coffin were a lot longer than I realized.

Laserblast is a 1970s movie about a man who doesn't know what shirts are for finding an alien ray gun after some turtles hunt down and murder its last owner. The turtle boss then contacts them to ask why the fuck they let some jackass ape run around blowing things up, so they turn around and head aaaaaaaaaaall the way back to Earth. Meanwhile the guy turns into a zombie at night and blows up people and places that have crossed him. He's a layabout in a nameless desert town so these are all incredibly petty, and nobody accomplishes anything throughout the entirety of the movie.

The movie is most notable for having claymation turtle-aliens, the sheriff from Murder She Wrote, and Octavian from Cleopatra.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 18, 2020, 05:23:03 am »

I watched the first ~41 minutes of the movie, which I recommend nobody else ever do.
But dude, you missed out on

Also the 3edgy5me 12-year-old hitman was pretty funny.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 18, 2020, 05:42:43 am »

As I recall, I shied away from it because it was obvious time period/culture wank and I didn't see how any good could come from that. Being author wank on top of that just means the nails in that coffin were a lot longer than I realized.

Laserblast is a 1970s movie about a man who doesn't know what shirts are for finding an alien ray gun after some turtles hunt down and murder its last owner. The turtle boss then contacts them to ask why the fuck they let some jackass ape run around blowing things up, so they turn around and head aaaaaaaaaaall the way back to Earth. Meanwhile the guy turns into a zombie at night and blows up people and places that have crossed him. He's a layabout in a nameless desert town so these are all incredibly petty, and nobody accomplishes anything throughout the entirety of the movie.

The movie is most notable for having claymation turtle-aliens, the sheriff from Murder She Wrote, and Octavian from Cleopatra.

I've seen laserblast like three times, and holy shit it was made in 1978.  When I saw it I was sure it was 60s.
Shoes...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 18, 2020, 09:53:09 am »

I think in the wake of Star Wars becoming a phenomena, a bunch of studios ramped up sci-fi production to try and cash in. They didn't all take any lesson from Star Wars itself, so a lot of them just feel older in style. Star Crash or Flash Gordon would be examples. Both probably wouidn't have been made without Star Wars but both were made with hammy old school production values.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: January 18, 2020, 07:17:56 pm »

A tale as old as time. Movie industry sees one film bomb, they blacklist that entire genre instead of looking at what went wrong. They see one film succeed, they cobble together a bunch of random shit instead of learning from what went right.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: January 18, 2020, 11:57:10 pm »

This was a good out of context quote.  A groundhog day movie about an execution would be fun.  There was a good twilight zone episode like that, where the character keeps dreaming of his own execution on death row, while trying to convince the people around him that it's a dream and they'll die if he wakes up.
Shoes...

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: January 20, 2020, 01:57:39 pm »

I watched the first ~41 minutes of the movie, which I recommend nobody else ever do.
But dude, you missed out on

Also the 3edgy5me 12-year-old hitman was pretty funny.

I'll get there. Unless luck intervenes and I get a better option, like being run over by a bus.

Edit: Sadly, there was no bus, so I watched more of the movie. As always, if there are typos, it's because I'm writing this up in notepad while watching a bad movie, and it rips any motivation right out of me.

I'm going to take another short break to see if there's a gas leak in an oven around here.

A tale as old as time. Movie industry sees one film bomb, they blacklist that entire genre instead of looking at what went wrong. They see one film succeed, they cobble together a bunch of random shit instead of learning from what went right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

Same here. And now I am watching it as a joke, for reasons I can't explain. It's nowhere near as good as you expect. I'm not sure it's possible to have low enough expectations and a semi-functional brain.

Edit2: I can't help but think of Creator in Ready Player One as a shit RPG writer/GM who has a few "clever" puzzles/riddles that make sense to them, but everyone else misunderstands. Especially telling when badguy corp solves 2 of them through brute forcing by having large numbers of people trying every possible combination to find them out, which is probably the best solution in a TTRPG. Just hire a bunch of people to try every possible combination instead of interfacing with the puzzle at all.

Edit3: I finished the bad movie! I'm free!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 02:27:03 pm by Iduno »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 09, 2020, 11:42:43 pm »

So the Oscars just finished and Eminem randomly performed ‘Lose Yourself’ in a big “huh?” moment

Also Parasite deserved everything it won

Also Joaquin Phoenix talked about milk?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 11:45:59 pm by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: February 10, 2020, 12:55:14 am »

Instead of watching the Oscars I watched several terrible movies from the 50s. I stand by my decision.

Teenage Caveman is about a bunch of religious zealot cavemen who are actually living in a nuclear wasteland because history keeps going through cycles of development and oops, complete with english text and pictures of the pentagon. Very little happens, though it gets points for the obvious dick jealous bad guy goading the main character on by talking about how somebody's gotta break the rules and he understands that it's okay to be afraid. Rare gem in an otherwise bland piece.

Dead Space (1991, no relation to the game series) is either an homage to 70s scifi or bizarrely out of date. A lab experiment escapes, some chicks get naked, the sassy robot companion to the mercenary they call in dies heroically, the usual stuff. Notable for featuring Doctor Cransten and really just terrible decision making, even by ancient horrors movie/scifi standards. They keep shooting the thing with guns and it doesn't seem to be doing very much but they're also not dying a whole lot so maybe it's keeping it off balance or something? And then they run after it and can't do anything with that, and the critter itself is bursting through walls like nothing but can't make up its mind about whether it wants to feast or just run away. At least the final boss model is pretty cool.

Unknown World (advertised as "THE ORIGINAL SCHLOCK CLASSIC," just in case you were curious about my standards in movies) is also a 50s thing obsessed with nuclear annihilation. A bunch of scientists and a wealthy playboy ride an incredibly shit drill-tank into the bowels of the Earth looking for a paradise humanity can escape to if/when the surface is bathed in atomic fire. Tragically, they all die to geologic causes rather than hideous molemen or subterranean dinosaurs. 0/10 would not watch again. As a bright spot, they eventually come to the conclusion that burying themselves alive is not a viable longterm solution to their problems, which is both amusingly dark and contrasts nicely with the leader's ravings about the unavoidable end of the world. This is also the guy who, after talking about saving humanity, wanted their crew of six people to just kind of camp out along an underground lake forever, by the way. I'm still not sure what was up with that.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 96