Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132229 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #750 on: December 31, 2019, 11:04:22 pm »

Screamers (Island of the Fishmen) exceeded all of my expectations. Delightfully campy oldschool romp through a tropical island inhabited by absurdly strong fishmen (until they hit the protagonist, naturally) and something even worse. Highly recommend if you enjoy that particular brand of entertainment. I'd say more but I don't want to spoil the predictable but amusing plot.

The Day Time Ended is about as bad as you'd expect from the title, but for different reasons. I thought it'd be a knockoff The Day the World Stood Still, but it's really just a showcase of pre-80s UFO lights and sound effects plus something something time travel. Weirdly enough there's several different alien and spaceship models involved, but absolutely no plot to speak of and very little of anything occurs. Nothing whatsoever is ever explained, either. Bonus points for a child cultist, at least.

Special mention must also be made of the fact that nobody in this film knows what legs are for. This is some of the most casual strolling away from vaguely menacing suitcase-sized alien spaceships I have ever seen.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 01, 2020, 03:57:45 pm »

Just came back from watching Uncut Gems and what a stressful stressful film. Anxiety inducing, edge of the seat, two hours of “how can it get any worse.” It’s not an Adam Sandler film, but a film with Adam Sandler in it. Sandler’s got this reputation of lousy acting in lousy films but this really shows off his dramatic acting chops. He fits and disappears into the role to the point where you kinda forget your watching Adam Sandler. Had to convince my father to check this out and he was pretty much rendered speechless by the end.

The movie’s got enough balls to give a central role to Kevin Garnett, surprisingly enough, and he’s able to keep up!

Great movie
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 01, 2020, 04:11:32 pm »

New Year's Eve viewing pleasure (before the Royal Variety show, of course) ended up being The City of Lost Children, as it's one of the host's favorites and I hadn't seen it before.

Mmm, Jeunet+Caro... That's some lip-smacking good cinema right thar. The Octopus cooking scene is just fantastically brilliant, and Dominique Pinon is as amazing as ever (I had no idea Ron Perlman spoke French either). I'm a big fan of Delicatessen and Micmacs, and Amélie of course, so I needed to fill in this blank spot in my viewing history.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 02, 2020, 12:58:38 am »

It’s not an Adam Sandler film, but a film with Adam Sandler in it. Sandler’s got this reputation of lousy acting in lousy films but this really shows off his dramatic acting chops. He fits and disappears into the role to the point where you kinda forget your watching Adam Sandler.
This is how I felt about Jack Black in Kong. "He wasn't anything like Jack Black" is probably the highest praise you can give Jack Black, and the equivalent is probably at least as true for Sandler.

(I had no idea Ron Perlman spoke French either)
For some reason this interests me more than the actual movie. Perlman is just fun to watch I guess.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 02, 2020, 01:14:18 am »

Just came back from watching Uncut Gems and what a stressful stressful film. Anxiety inducing, edge of the seat, two hours of “how can it get any worse.” It’s not an Adam Sandler film, but a film with Adam Sandler in it. Sandler’s got this reputation of lousy acting in lousy films but this really shows off his dramatic acting chops. He fits and disappears into the role to the point where you kinda forget your watching Adam Sandler.

There are very few good Adam Sandler movies. The one he did called "Click" was the best one I've seen him in, because of the same thing basically - it had a dramatic build up and payoff rather than just being cringy humor all the way through. Not really a good movie, but a gooder one as far as Mr Sandler is concerned.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 01:18:32 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 02, 2020, 03:31:30 am »

We're not forgetting "Reign Over Me", are we?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 02, 2020, 05:56:52 am »

(I had no idea Ron Perlman spoke French either)
For some reason this interests me more than the actual movie. Perlman is just fun to watch I guess.
He also speaks passable Neanderthal.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 02, 2020, 08:59:22 am »

Just came back from watching Uncut Gems and what a stressful stressful film. Anxiety inducing, edge of the seat, two hours of “how can it get any worse.” It’s not an Adam Sandler film, but a film with Adam Sandler in it. Sandler’s got this reputation of lousy acting in lousy films but this really shows off his dramatic acting chops. He fits and disappears into the role to the point where you kinda forget your watching Adam Sandler. Had to convince my father to check this out and he was pretty much rendered speechless by the end.

The movie’s got enough balls to give a central role to Kevin Garnett, surprisingly enough, and he’s able to keep up!

Great movie

I'm not falling for that again.

Edit: This might be why I don't like Abrams' movies.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 09:25:05 am by Iduno »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 02, 2020, 09:03:02 am »

Great movie

I'm not falling for that again.

For some reason this came to mind..

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 02, 2020, 01:45:01 pm »

I finally saw Cats. While some of the reviews I've read had a tiny bit of hyperbole, it was still a strongly cursed film and I'm glad I got to see it on the big screen. I couldn't tell if I was seeing the old cut or the new one though, because all the cats had mostly human hands, and Judi Dench cat could just be wearing rings normally. Regardless of which cut, there were still some big damn seams in the effects. A lot of characters seemed to be sliding over the ground, shadows seemed to disappear between shots, hands and feet floated and slid around on top of wrists and ankles, etc.

Funny how made-up words like "jellicle" lose their whimsical charm real goddamn quick when they're said dozens of times over an almost-two-hour movie about gross cat people, as opposed to a live musical or short poem.

Also it has several shakycam shots despite it being a goddamn musical for children. Shakycam is so popular and so misused in cinema that I'm surprised the camera tripod industry hasn't gone bankrupt.

I could have sworn that one of the main male cats was played by Orlando Bloom; he had a strong resemblance to Legolas, but Bloom was nowhere in the cast. I never caught this character's name, but I don't really care anyway.

I have to say that, in spite of the film they appeared in and in spite of a few numbers that sounded like they came out of a dying SoundBlaster 16, I really liked the music. The song about the Siamese twins was really catchy, and Taylor Swift's song was a lot of fun too. It's just a shame that by the time those came around, I had checked out of the film and was looking up trivia on my phone. (Everybody else was there to roast the movie too, it was all gravy.)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 02:15:25 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 02, 2020, 02:59:06 pm »

Did you get the empty movie theater experience?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 02, 2020, 03:51:47 pm »

I think there were plenty of people there, but judging from when and how often they laughed and chatted, I think they were there to see how bad it was instead of just to watch it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 04, 2020, 02:38:42 am »

I saw Knives Out. It was quite good. I recommend it.

Spoiler: Large image (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 02:44:41 am by Eschar »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 07, 2020, 04:52:30 am »

Man, you want to talk flops ... Cats isn't even in the running for the biggest flop.

There's a movie out called "Lucy in the Sky". Off a $27 million dollar budget it grossed $320,000. That's like they made less than 1% of their budget back. It takes special skill to flop so hard. The studio is going to be looking at the director and saying thanks for losing all the monies.

The best bit was looking up what this movie is about. It turns out it's a semi-fictionalized version of that real-life news story from a few years back where a female NASA astronaut (real life name Lisa, but Lucy in this movie) drove 950 miles cross-country wearing adult diapers as used in space missions so she didn't have to stop to poop so that she could attempt to assault and/or abduct a female Air Force captain who was dating a male astronaut she'd been dating before. Turns out nobody gives enough of a shit to watch a movie about this.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 05:09:25 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 07, 2020, 05:30:11 am »

...Marketing fail, obviously. Because had I known of it, I'd totally have seen that
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 96