Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132310 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #571 on: August 30, 2019, 11:03:18 am »

If y'all liked the raid, then y'all will like The Night Comes For Us
I mean, it's got some of the same actors from The Raid
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #572 on: August 30, 2019, 04:41:53 pm »

If you like The Raid and well choreographed and filmed action, watch Isaac Florentine's movies. Ninja - Shadow of a Tear for example.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 07, 2019, 07:32:51 pm »

I was just pondering movie fight scenes and I have a vague memory of an example of a very good one, in which the main character and his opponent brutally have at one another in a small room, seemingly evenly-matched until the protagonist manages to reach down and turn on a stove burner whilst his assailant is pinned against it, before subsequently snapping his neck or something.

It's not quite that, but the 2012 punisher fight with the Russian is pretty close to that, where he throws hot oil in his face and breaks his neck throwing him down the stairs.

I just saw It 2. I thought there were some good moments, the way they beat Pennywise is probably the best way they could've done it, close enough to the book thematically while still being comprehensible for a movie. 

But there's lots of stupid quips and jokes, and it's fucking loud and obnoxious, which kills any kind of tension the movie might set up.  There's a really obvious and out of place reference to The Thing, and thankfully the movie's not scary cause if it was that would've killed it.

It was okay, but it wasn't scary, and that's the entire point of a horror movie so unfortunately it gets an F by default.
Shoes...

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 10, 2019, 11:03:52 am »

the 2012 punisher fight with the Russian is pretty close to that, where he throws hot oil in his face and breaks his neck throwing him down the stairs.
That came out in 2004 and is made better when you know that the actor who plays the Russian is actually WWE/WCW pro wrestler Kevin Nash.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: September 10, 2019, 06:36:57 pm »

Why did I think it was 2012?  My brain wasn't working I guess.
Shoes...

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 11, 2019, 08:58:20 am »

Why did I think it was 2012?  My brain wasn't working I guess.
Probably because Thomas Jane reprised his role as the Punisher in this short film in 2012

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 28, 2019, 11:06:44 am »

I finally got around to watching Prometheus after hearing it was really bad.  I don't get the hate (well, I kind of do).  I haven't seen Covenant yet to see if it ruins everything, but the lack of answers I think is kind of the point.  I can see how that'd be disappointing but at its core the promethean (really more babelian almost) search for god is better for not having any of the answers you want.

It may have worked better as a book.
Shoes...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 28, 2019, 12:12:48 pm »

I finally got around to watching Prometheus after hearing it was really bad.  I don't get the hate (well, I kind of do).  I haven't seen Covenant yet to see if it ruins everything, but the lack of answers I think is kind of the point.  I can see how that'd be disappointing but at its core the promethean (really more babelian almost) search for god is better for not having any of the answers you want.

It may have worked better as a book.
It's fine where it doesn't give answers. It falls flat where it does, even in the most basic sense of giving motivation to the characters for doing what they're doing.
However, having listened to some interviews with and around Ridley Scott over the years, I came around to appreciating Prometheus for what it is - i.e. Pretty Pictures Strung On A Plot-like Scaffolding. From what I gathered, he doesn't care much about coherent plotlines or believable characters. He makes a film because he wants to show you some cool images that popped up his head, and the rest is subservient and an afterthought.
So, yeah. There's plenty of frankly amazing scenes in Prometheus, that I enjoy revisiting in isolation. But a good story it ain't.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 28, 2019, 02:58:37 pm »

And it led to the foundation of the Prometheus Academy of Running Away, which has provided many esteemed graduates for films both before and since.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 29, 2019, 02:46:19 am »

My main beef with it was how for a team made up of scientists and experts in their fields, pretty much every single character was dumb as dirt when the plot needed them to be in order for something bad to happen and push the story forward.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 29, 2019, 07:36:54 am »

On my side its more of a what was the name of. It was a modern day new york where a student studying tesla generator in a cave like place had to train to become a mage. Magic is being taught like science as in if atoms move fadt enough and rub enough it catches fire.

Anyone saw it and remember the name? It less than 10yr old for sure.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 29, 2019, 07:43:05 am »

On my side its more of a what was the name of. It was a modern day new york where a student studying tesla generator in a cave like place had to train to become a mage. Magic is being taught like science as in if atoms move fadt enough and rub enough it catches fire.

Anyone saw it and remember the name? It less than 10yr old for sure.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice? First thing that comes to mind.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 29, 2019, 08:39:12 am »

YEEAHSSS!!! Thank ya
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 29, 2019, 02:11:26 pm »

YEEAHSSS!!! Thank ya
I can't for the life of me recall the circumstances of watching that movie (I believe I even saw it in a theater, of all things!), but I do remember lvl5 Lightning Bolt vs Faraday cage.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 96