Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132289 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #480 on: April 04, 2019, 05:33:22 pm »

Finally got around to seeing Into the Spiderverse. Holy shitballs this is next level animation work. The trailers don't really do it any form of justice, and beyond that it's a very fun movie. If you like spidey, or just animation (even if you're not a fan of 3d stuff) or hell, just good movies in general, this is a damn fine way to spend two hours. Easily the top spider-man movie for me (alongside 1 and Homecoming, it's a tight fit up there :V)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 05, 2019, 09:45:45 am »

Hi, also I also literally just watched Into the Spiderverse last night. First of all, big agree, the animation is incredible--but even more than that, it's just got so much damn STYLE. Honestly... I am thinking its the best comic book movie of all time.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 05, 2019, 10:27:39 am »

I think I'm the only person in the world who didn't like the animation of Spiderverse much.  They should render things at more than 7 frames per second.    :-\  I thought it was really distracting.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 10:30:33 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 11, 2019, 08:14:42 am »

I just watched SuperLopez. It was good. Sort of a Spanish-flavoured spoof of Superman, but with its own unique charm as well.   
Apparently it was based on a comic but I wouldn't know anything about that, I can tell you the film was quite entertaining, though.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 11, 2019, 09:33:21 am »

Shazam is brilliant and hillarious and everyone should go see it. First DC movie that's truly good on every level.
AS - IG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 11, 2019, 02:15:09 pm »

I watched Crank.  It's a masterpiece of cinema.
Shoes...

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 11, 2019, 03:48:01 pm »

So... Do we talk about non-recommendations here?

I just got back from watching Captain Marvel in theaters (2D version, as is my general preference), after hearing very little about it other than that some people were apparently getting up in arms about it because "stupid SJWs" or something. The movie wasn't even playing yet at that time, and it's fairly par for the course anyways for a superheroine movie anyways, so I didn't think much about it.

And then I watched it, and it was honestly a bit terrible. Brie Larson exercised her acting chops by maintaining "mild frustration" for her entire time on-screen, and getting as dirty and disheveled a person can get without in any way compromising her perfect eye makeup or cheek highlights. Her hair was allowed an entire scene of frizziness in order to hammer home the point that her character was disoriented (and mildly frustrated about being disoriented).

Overall, IGN 9/10: Marvelous.

It's a Marvel film. They're never great. I assume most of the buzz is related to Disney buying out news outlets for good PR on everything they do.

I've been watching older movies lately. Matchstick Men was a pretty good movie about conmen and redemption or something, but not surprising. According to Sturgeon's Law Nicolas Cage should be putting out 2-3 good movies a year.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 11, 2019, 04:21:18 pm »

Most of them are at least good.  I'm hoping between the abrasiveness of the captain marvel hype and the finality of endgame we'll finally start seeing superhero fatigue set in.

Nic Cage is my favorite actor, unironically.  I thought 8mm was really good despite the general distaste for it.
Shoes...

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 12, 2019, 09:01:09 am »

Wow, this thread is still going.
So... Do we talk about non-recommendations here?

Perhaps I should change this into a general movie discussion thread?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 12, 2019, 09:29:58 am »

I watched Crank.  It's a masterpiece of cinema.
Fucking fuck yes it is. Make sure to catch the sequel as well.

Nic Cage is my favorite actor, unironically.  I thought 8mm was really good despite the general distaste for it.
It's been years since I watched it, so maybe my opinion on it would be different were I to see it again, but I remember thinking how refreshing it was to watch a movie that was actually really disturbing and unsettling. Not because of freaky beasties (which I do adore, don't get me wrong) or "Surprise! Spookums!" jump-scares, but because of a subject matter that hit a little too close to reality.

Perhaps I should change this into a general movie discussion thread?
It'll get a lot more activity, certainly. It'll also definitely absolutely maybe go horribly wrong in short order.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #490 on: April 13, 2019, 08:37:11 am »

Decided to watch Pacific Rim.  I heard it described as a very good asylum film and that's pretty accurate.  The monster fighting is great, really well choreographed and easy to read, the robots are very believable (within the logic of the universe at least) compared to something like transformers, you can see the joints and actuators and stuff moving and their designs are nice and coherent.  You can always tell what's going on in a fight, which is unfortunately a rare thing in the big blockbuster movies (again, compare to transformers, where you can't even tell where one robot ends and the other begins).

Characters are really thin and the writing feels rote.  They're hitting all the stock story beats for a movie like this but they feel suspended in the ether, a lot of the character "arc" moments aren't earned and don't feel grounded in the events of the story.  It's distracting, but considering the concept it gives the movie an almost pleasant throwback feel, very cheesy and old-fashioned in the characters and the writing.  Hence the asylum comparison.  It almost feels like a B-movie with a big budget.  That being said, I liked it a lot.  It's earnest.  You can tell everybody had their heart in the movie, even if it's cheesy it's earnestly cheesy.
Shoes...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 20, 2019, 10:34:50 pm »

I'm watching The Blind Side and so far it's shaping up to be a fine example of the venerable "Mentally handicapped, socially stunted, possibly traumatized adults just need a hobby and a white upper-class nuclear family to adopt them" genre. Maybe it's just my cynicism but I am not buying into this premise for a second.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 26, 2019, 03:34:20 am »

Saw Endgame last night. I'd say a fitting closer on a literal decade of films. Bit slow to start but it pays it all off towards the end and has a properly bittersweet ending that feels earned. Only real annoyance with it is that one scene in the final battle that was so obviously forced and on the nose that it took me right out of the damn thing.

Spoiler: Mild spoilers (click to show/hide)
AS - IG

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 27, 2019, 10:33:23 pm »

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:37:52 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #494 on: April 28, 2019, 06:20:33 pm »

Just got out of the theater for Endgame. I stayed off the internet for 2 days in the interim. Worth it.
Awesome With Autism

“The art of life is to live in the present moment.”
— Emmet Fox
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 96