Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132341 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #450 on: February 17, 2018, 04:35:29 pm »

Just came back from seeing The Post with a theater full of baby boomers (and my GM) because Black Panther is sold out literally all the time. Good stuff, Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep can both still act, only a couple of instances of "it is the principle duty of all Americans to stand for the rights of the press", surprisingly tense for a historical drama where I know the history.

And judging by all the mid-movie cheering that went on, I'm pretty sure most of the people seeing this film personally voted against Nixon and still hate him now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 11, 2018, 04:12:39 pm »

It is movie time once again, this time Annihilation. It was awesome sci-fi horror and got screwed over by the studio, so I highly recommend you see it before it leaves theaters.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 11, 2018, 04:17:35 pm »

It is movie time once again, this time Annihilation. It was awesome sci-fi horror and got screwed over by the studio, so I highly recommend you see it before it leaves theaters.
And if you're anywhere (?) that is not USA, wait until tomorrow and watch it on Netflix.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 11, 2018, 04:25:41 pm »

It's also screening in Canada and China, though I think it's out of theaters in the latter.
No Gods, No Masters.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 12, 2018, 05:54:18 pm »

Having just watched it, I also recommend it. It throws around some interesting ideas and is at times gorgeous to look at. One doesn't get to see these kind of movies very often as of late, outside of maybe Black Mirror episodes.
It does, however, suffer from a mild case of 'Prometheus scientists'.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 21, 2018, 12:32:12 pm »

if anyone wants to watch a weird movie with some good music I recommend "Phallus in Wonderland"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 06, 2018, 11:54:58 pm »

A Quiet Place (2018) -- Dir. John Krasinski

The ideas behind Alien meets the Americana of Signs with a little twinge of the western genre thrown in for good measure. While not ALL of Mr. Krasinski's decisions work out, his penchant to experiment and combine his favorite elements makes for a solid 8.5-9.0 film. It's just darn good. Not too scary, more... suspenseful. Ironic, at times. Great pacing for a 90 minute affair. Stellar performances from Krasinski himself, the wonderful Emily Blount, and the kids.

See it!!!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 08, 2018, 01:34:47 am »

Just watched A Field In England.
Very strange, but very good. I recommend it.

@Urist: that first, basic description you gave sounds rather interesting. I shall check for it on Netflix presently!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 14, 2018, 05:05:25 pm »

'Frantz'
An emotional drama about dealing with the aftermath of WWI. The subject matter is similar to e.g. 'Testament of Youth', i.e. lives and loves of young beautiful people shattered by the senseless war. But the execution is much more... continental (in a good way).

A Field In England.
I don't do mushrooms, but I keep thinking it would have blown my mind a few more times if I had been high on psilocybin while watching.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 17, 2018, 10:46:33 pm »

Seven Psychopaths. Re-watched it last night and I have to say it's one of my absolute favourite movies.
It's currently on Netflix, so you should really do yourself a favour and watch (or re-watch) it ASAP!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 18, 2018, 07:26:52 am »

That one was good. Weird but good.

I just saw Bohemian Rhapsody. It is also good.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 29, 2018, 10:02:04 pm »

For whatever reason I had The Wailing on my disk, says I got it there in late april, no idea if that's true or why I got the movie in the first place, but what the hey, decided to give it a whirl, it's korean after all, how bad can it be?

Hoo boy is it a piece of work alright, two and a half hours of slow burning wierdness and creepiness. I struggle to call it a horror since it's not your run of the mill hollywood wank but it isn't really all that scary, just, as said before, creepy and unsettling a lot of the time. Still, if you've got spare time to kill, this is a good way to do so.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 31, 2018, 07:31:08 pm »

It's been ages since I've watched it, but I remember feeling "horrified" by 8mm in much the same way. And no, not because Nic Cage is the lead; I actually thought he did reasonably well. I mean, considering...

Anyways, if you feel like getting cockslapped by the human condition while it tells you a funny anecdote, watch The Barbarian Invasions. It's French-Canadian, so enjoy seeing wannabe film snobs experience deeply mixed feelings.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 31, 2018, 09:33:31 pm »

Slow-burn creepy horror, hinging on dark twists of humanity or abstract existential anxieties is totally my thing.  Bonus if it manifests through supernatural elements.  Anybody got any more of that stuff, throw it in here.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 01, 2019, 06:28:44 am »

Seen The Void? I haven't watched it personally, but I've heard that it's supposed to be decent on those points, despite the rating.

There's also Take Shelter, which I have seen and that I did like. Because Michael Shannon says and does some things, and that's usually a positive.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 96