Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132343 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #435 on: May 25, 2017, 06:06:22 am »

Not games, but for those of you in Australia (no idea if they ship overseas or how expensive that would be) JB Hi-fi is having a 40% off sale on Monster Pictures releases until Sunday, on DVD and blu-ray. There are some excellent titles in there, so if you're interested in owning copies of these and supporting the creators without breaking your wallet, especially with shipping costs, now's your chance.

Heck, I didn't even realise JB sold Monster Studios stuff, I probably would have been buying these long ago.
Even full-price this seems to be far cheaper than tracking them down in other stores, and obviously easier than ordering them online.   
Perhaps not exactly a "recommendation" per se, as I haven't yet seen any of these films myself (apart from ABCs of Death 2, which was amazing), but I certainly recommend that those of you in the applicable part(s) of the world check out the titles on offer and see if there are any you want!

I'm probably going to pick up The Greasy Strangler, Cat Sick Blues, Antibirth and the ABCs of Death Omnibus at the very least, possibly more (such as Landmine Goes Click, Charlie's Farm, Bullets For the Dead, Chocolate Strawberry Vanilla, Summer of Blood and I Am Not a Serial Killer) once I've had more of a look and perhaps watched a few trailers. Mostly I'm just excited to realise that these films are so readily available in physical form, let alone this cheap!
'Tis a shame Observance doesn't appear to be included, though. I thought that was a Monster Pictures film, but perhaps not.

So, um, Drive (2011). It's nice, noir-ish flick. Nothing extraordinary about it, it's just all-around good, that's what I make of this movie.
Never replied to this, but I actually watched that quite a long time after this post. Possibly even after than my most-recent replies in here.
I wouldn't say there was "nothing extraordinary about it", it was freakin' excellent! Gosling is a great actor in my opinion, and the... well, I don't want to spoil too much, but the sheer suddenness of certain things in the film really shocked me, in a most enjoyable way. Perhaps the later parts of the film were a little disappointing given how high it had built my expectations, but eh, on the whole I definitely enjoyed it a lot.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 25, 2017, 10:02:45 am »

The Duellists (1977) Ridley Scott's first film as Director.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #437 on: May 25, 2017, 11:24:43 am »

Seconded. Very realistic sword fights, though my favorite sword fight is in Deluge. I wish I had saved that informal translation that Haspen provided.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 25, 2017, 12:21:57 pm »

The Duellists is great. The novel is probably better - what it lacks in visual extravaganza (such as fights), it gains in better understanding of the characters. Conrad's flowery language is a treat in itself.

my favorite sword fight is in Deluge. I wish I had saved that informal translation that Haspen provided.
here's a very good translation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljExTEPNFnM

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #439 on: May 25, 2017, 12:57:11 pm »

Yeah yeah, but Haspen's was very funny.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 08, 2017, 05:13:40 am »

Just finished watching The Butterfly's Dream.
Excellent, excellent film about a pair of Turkish poets in the time of the second World War.   
It's well-shot with wonderful costumes and what-have-you, and it make me shed tears on at least two separate occasions. And I haven't been feeling overly emotional lately, so for once that wasn't merely a reflection of my mental state. Also as an added bonus it is in Turkish with subtitles, so I need not worry about my poor hearing ruining the film for me.   

And of course, it was also filled with beautiful poetry, so if you like that sort of thing you'll probably love this film.
It may be somewhat boring to someone with no such interests, though, I suppose.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 08, 2017, 10:03:56 am »

Amadeus (1984) Not obscure by any stretch, but it's a ridiculously good movie (imo, the best movie ever made--way better than Citizen Kane.) Directed by Miloš Forman.

Also, @Il Palazzo, the saber duel in The Deluge is lit! Sadly, I have only seen that part of the film :C

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #442 on: November 06, 2017, 05:24:44 pm »

Someone recommend an obscure movie- - -
- -currently on Netflix...
Awesome With Autism

“The art of life is to live in the present moment.”
— Emmet Fox

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 28, 2017, 12:18:30 am »

So, this is a bit unorthodox for the thread, but I want to ask for a recommendation. I've seen most people agree that Kingdom of Heaven is a mediocre or bad movie. But I've heard nothing but good things about the director's cut of the movie--have any of you seen it? Would you recommend the director's cut?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 28, 2017, 12:23:20 am »

I would recommend it, ya. The story is a little light at times, but it's got good acting and better fight scenes--both individual and set-piece.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 18, 2018, 03:32:08 am »

Just watched Shape of Water, damn. Underrated film of the year. Honestly, if not for some plot holes (which Del Toro does a great job of masking and working around), it would be a 10/10. Do yourself a favor and give it a watch.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 18, 2018, 03:38:49 am »

Still waiting for it to come to theaters here (if it ever does :V)

Tho a movie that was a very pleasant suprise was Jumanji 2. It's not oscar material or anything, but it's a fun action romp with suprisingly good casting/acting and chemistry between the main characters. Fun pretty much from beginning to the end, kinda suprising to see it come out this late in the year as this felt more like a summer movie or something.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 18, 2018, 06:05:05 am »

So, this is a bit unorthodox for the thread, but I want to ask for a recommendation. I've seen most people agree that Kingdom of Heaven is a mediocre or bad movie. But I've heard nothing but good things about the director's cut of the movie--have any of you seen it? Would you recommend the director's cut?
I liked it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 22, 2018, 09:14:54 pm »

Just rewatched L.A. Confidential. Another awesome movie, if you are a fan of film noir or neo-noir and haven't seen it, treat yo self.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #449 on: January 25, 2018, 02:48:49 pm »

Just rewatched L.A. Confidential. Another awesome movie, if you are a fan of film noir or neo-noir and haven't seen it, treat yo self.
Just watched a clip and I'm hooked. Definitely watching this. You should watch Miller's Crossing.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 96