Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132277 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #375 on: October 05, 2015, 11:30:28 am »

Particle Fever (2013) is a very nice documentary about the LHC and the Higgs boson discovery. Not terribly heady, it's focused on getting you to understand the reasons behind the excitement it generated in academia, rather than on explaining the physics behind its operation.
If you are still wondering what was the whole media craze from a few years back about, check it out.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 05, 2015, 11:48:38 am »

I've been on an MST3K binge lately and feel that I should share some of my favorites.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What, no Time of the Apes?? Or Catalina Caper, featuring a bizarre cameo by what appears to be Little Richard on horse tranquilizers?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 12, 2015, 11:45:52 am »

I finally persuaded my friends to watch Turbo Kid with me!
What a great movie... it was actually much, much better than I was expecting. I knew New Zealand makes good films, but apparently Canada does too- and this was a joint effort between studios from both countries, apparently.

Now I'm in that strange, bittersweet post-movie mood I enter into after watching a film I really enjoy... I'll probably be acting weird for at least a day. Possibly more, given that part of the soundtrack is available online to prolong the feeling. It's like that perfect moment where you're watching the credits feeling kinda sad, but stretched out to last longer. Excuse me, I'm gonna go hit play on the soundtrack again...
I recommend Turbo Kid to everyone.
Watched it earlier and it was amazing... way better than I was expecting. I'm not even sure what I was expecting, but the reality was much, much better.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 12, 2015, 11:51:07 am »

I've been on an MST3K binge lately and feel that I should share some of my favorites.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What, no Time of the Apes?? Or Catalina Caper, featuring a bizarre cameo by what appears to be Little Richard on horse tranquilizers?
Oh, I saw Catalina Caper too. That one was hilarious.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 12, 2015, 05:15:44 pm »

I'll add my recommendation to the choir of voices praising Kingsman. It's the perfect James Bond film - grabs the absurdity of the premise and runs with it.
My only gripe with it was how the character of the female counterpart to the lead felt shoehorned-in. They couldn't quite find anything sensible for her to do.

Anyway, would be fun to watch it back-to-back with 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy'. Same basic idea - a spy movie - and some of the same actors. Completely different vibe, though.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 14, 2015, 12:37:36 pm »

Space Mutiny is hilarious, and involves, among other things, zamboni chases and an escape sequence that veers into "why don't you just shoot him" territory for about five straight minutes.
You forgot that it stars the impeccable Reb Brown as Biff Hardcheese Roll Fizzlebeef Big McLargeHuge.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 10, 2015, 10:00:12 am »

Just watched Seven Samurai (1954, Akira Kurosawa).

If you find yourself with three hours of free time in front of a device capable of playing video files, do watch this movie.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:01:59 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 10, 2015, 11:48:31 am »

I'd like to recommend Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase

No, I'm not joking. It's really good. I like it a lot. Also, watch Scooby Doo: Camp Scare. The monsters there are literally trying to kill the Scooby Gang. That's awesome.

Seriously, go watch those two movies. They're good.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 10, 2015, 12:14:05 pm »

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Only watch it with the appropriate mindset, though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 29, 2015, 05:38:22 am »

Just watched Seven Samurai (1954, Akira Kurosawa).

If you find yourself with three hours of free time in front of a device capable of playing video files, do watch this movie.
Hey, I watched that not long ago! It is indeed really, really great.
Funnily enough I watched it during my binge of terribly cruddy, ultra-cheesy 70s kung fu movies and then all of a sudden along comes a great film, truly worthy of its classic status.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Only watch it with the appropriate mindset, though.
I watched that a while ago and the special effects seemed kinda silly.
I re-watched a certain scene more recently and was amazed by how realistic they were. :P

...Anyway, I'm about to sit down and watch Deathgasm. This should be awesome.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 29, 2015, 07:39:49 am »

...Anyway, I'm about to sit down and watch Deathgasm. This should be awesome.
Yeah, that was fun. Definitely recommend it, even with the painful Kiwi accents! :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #386 on: November 29, 2015, 07:41:43 pm »

yeh nah m8

niw zilland eccent esnt thit bed es et?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 02, 2016, 06:24:11 pm »

You've probably already watched it, but I just saw Schindler's list for the first time. I found it very emotive, and if you haven't seen it I would recommend you do.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 02, 2016, 06:39:55 pm »

I'd like to recommend 'Dope'. It avoids sooo many clichés, but touches on them in delightful ways!
Also it's interesting race-dynamics-wise. America, your school system really does suck.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 02, 2016, 11:46:04 pm »

I'd like to recommend 'Dope'. It avoids sooo many clichés, but touches on them in delightful ways!
Also it's interesting race-dynamics-wise. America, your school system really does suck.
Is that the 2015 film?
Might check it out sometime.

If anyone hasn't seen The Street Fighter, they really should watch it.
Sadly I can't find any decent-quality uploads of the sequels to watch (and they probably aren't as good anyway), but the original is brilliant.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 96