Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132326 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #360 on: August 11, 2015, 01:18:14 am »

I thought it was pretty good :/
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 20, 2015, 10:58:49 am »

I did just finish watching "Ogniem i Mieczem" ("With Fire and Sword"). A Polish movie based on a book set in Ukranian lands of Poland during 1648-51 and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth during the Khmelnytsky Uprising.

It was really enjoyable. The acting was good, the costumes, sets and areas were really well done. I shall have to put the book series down to read at a future date, along with the other two movies "Potop" ("The Deluge") and "Pan Wołodyjowski" (English Title "Fire in the Steppe" though the polish title translates as "Colonel Wolodyjowski"). I can recommend it to anyone who likes the period, battles or just Winged Hussars.

Thinking on the topic, does anyone else know of similar movies made in other countries? Ones set in or before 1800s, historical drama type movies? I know I've seen parts of a Chinese movie that might've been based on "Romance of the Three Kingdoms". It had two large armies of soldiers clashing in the grounds of a palace, purple and yellow they might've been coloured.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 20, 2015, 11:18:42 am »

Thinking on the topic, does anyone else know of similar movies made in other countries? Ones set in or before 1800s, historical drama type movies?
Can you be more specific? The indicated time period spans some 17 centuries. The sword-and-sandals genre falls into that scope, and it alone has probably hundreds of titles.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 20, 2015, 12:10:07 pm »

Well, not really. It's more of a "what other well regarded movies might I not have heard of" because I'm not very knowledgeable about such things.

I guess I would like to see movies made by countries that focuses on their own history or well known novels based on said history. I do not mind watching movies with subtitles.
I suppose the only caveat I would have would be not movies that are heavily skewed in their perspective. Rather unavoidable sometimes I know when dealing with war but "Ogniem i Mieczem" was quite balanced in it's portrayal of both sides. At least not so far that one side is being depicted as literal evil demons who enjoy torture, killing and all that stuff.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 20, 2015, 03:14:55 pm »

If you don't mind rather old movies, Sergei Eisenstein's work may be of interest to you.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 20, 2015, 11:57:46 pm »

Not at all, I will have to look into those ones. I have heard of "Battleship Potemkin" but have never watched it. Movies with large casts for re-enacting battles are quite spectacular. I enjoy seeing all the effort that went into the sets and costumes, gives it a sense of "realness", if that makes sense.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 21, 2015, 04:42:17 am »

He also did some stuff set in the middle ages, I believe. Something about a big battle of German knights versus Slavic defenders of the city... Made during WWII, unsurprisingly.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 21, 2015, 04:55:38 pm »

Not at all, I will have to look into those ones. I have heard of "Battleship Potemkin" but have never watched it. Movies with large casts for re-enacting battles are quite spectacular. I enjoy seeing all the effort that went into the sets and costumes, gives it a sense of "realness", if that makes sense.

Speaking of old Soviet cinema with massive battle scenes, there is this 1966-67 War and Peace movie (in four parts) that has battle scenes so massive they formed an IRL cavalry regiment of Red Army for sole purpose of filming it, because it was easier to maintain a couple of thousands of soldiers rather than a couple of thousands of random extras.

He also did some stuff set in the middle ages, I believe. Something about a big battle of German knights versus Slavic defenders of the city... Made during WWII, unsurprisingly.

Alexander Nevsky. Fought against Livonian Order knights, which were Teutonic in Eisenstein film. Sunk 'em in a frozen lake, apparently.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 04:45:19 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 03, 2015, 05:24:02 pm »

Holy sweet Jesus, I've just seen a fantastic film. Coherence.

It's like if The Man from Earth had a baby with Triangle.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 17, 2015, 01:29:55 pm »

People, go and watch Turbo Kid. It's like a Canadian Mad Max.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 17, 2015, 01:38:16 pm »

Justice League: Gods and Monsters

Its a alternate reality version of the DC universe where Superman's father was Zod, Batman is actually Kirk Langstrom(Man-bat) and Wonderwoman is one of the "New Gods".  The three of them have no qualms against killing, but aren't really evil either. 

I thought it was a lot of fun to watch, and kind of want more from the same alternate universe.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 03, 2015, 07:23:56 pm »

The Martian.

It's excellent, go see it!
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 03, 2015, 08:11:48 pm »

I've been on an MST3K binge lately and feel that I should share some of my favorites.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 03, 2015, 11:57:15 pm »

"We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese."

I've watched through a few episodes of MST3K. The ones I remember was one with a giant preying mantis attacking a city, "The Melting Man" or similar and "Attack of the the Eye Monsters" for how little the producers cared about that movie.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 04, 2015, 09:34:42 am »

You guys should watch Deathgasm so that I can live vicariously through you.
It has no set release date for Australia and I want to support the film, not steal it. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 96