Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132279 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #345 on: April 14, 2015, 09:14:44 am »

Just saw Guardians of the Galaxy. Pretty damn awesome. Didn't know it was a Marvel tie-in until today, or I woulda watched it earlier.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 14, 2015, 09:59:01 pm »

At the urging of a friend, I watched an older animated movie called Grave of the Fireflies last night. I don't usually enjoy sad movies (or japanimation for that matter), but this one was quite good. It takes place in WWII era Japan and follows a couple of kids, a little boy and his younger sister, as they try to get by. Despite a few disturbingly graphic scenes (mostly related to American bombers), I'd recommend it to someone looking for something tragic.
Did you or did you not cry.

I freely admit that I was crying copiously by the end. I don't see how anyone could do any different.

Going to make you cry again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The thing I love about Grave of the Fireflies is it's the only film I know that tells a war story from that point of view.  War films always either play up the tragic lives of soldiers, or they portray intentional, systemic victimization, like Jews in WW2. 

But the majority of death and suffering from warfare comes from the de-stabilization that results.  Destruction of infrastructure and tearing apart of families.  Grave of the Fireflies is the only film I've ever seen that is completely about this, and I give it massive respect for this alone.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:03:23 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 26, 2015, 08:39:28 am »

Also, In Order of Disappearance is still great.
I finally got around to watching this! :D
And yes, it was a great film. I very much enjoyed its strange brand of dark humour, and The Count was one of the best characters from any movie I've watched for quite some time. I saw people hating on his 'do on IMDB, but I think they're silly. Thanks for recommending it.

I had to buy a DVD copy on eBay, but it was well worth it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 27, 2015, 02:48:50 pm »

Oh yeah, that all-organic mafia boss was great :D

Did you do the drinking game? I'd love to try that out sometime :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 27, 2015, 10:58:36 pm »

My English teacher recomended Repo Men the Genetuc Opera or something like that
The trailer looked awesome
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 14, 2015, 04:17:10 pm »

Last night I saw Seance (a.k.a. Killer in the Dark). It is a hilariously cheesy horror movie that was produced in 2001 and hasn't been released until now. It is free on Youtube and it is thoroughly entertaining. Adam West is in it. If you like B movies, it is your lucky day.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 04:18:48 pm by penguinofhonor »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 14, 2015, 04:20:41 pm »

Being John Malkovich.

The weirdness is so thick you can roll it into a joint and smoke it, and even then you wouldn't be as out of your mind as whoever came up with this thing.

This isn't a bad thing mind you, I just love when a movie is so wonderfully into being weird that it gives zero shits about everything else, while still being capable of making sense.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 14, 2015, 05:20:12 pm »

Malkovich malkovich Malkovich?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 14, 2015, 05:31:22 pm »

Malkovich malkovich!!
AS - IG

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 14, 2015, 05:34:23 pm »

Malkovich malkovich malkovich Malkovich malkovich. Malkovich... malkovich. Malkovich malkovich malkovich *sneezes* malkovich Malkovich!
The Bay12 postcard club

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 14, 2015, 10:01:31 pm »

Saw The Book of Life recently. Guillermo del Toro was a producer (along with Brad Bird of Pixar fame), but the director was a relatively little-known Hispanic animation director whose previous work had been mostly kids' cartoons like Lucha Libre.

The storyline is a fairly fresh mashup ("two best friends in love with the same girl"-meets-"Orpheus descending into Hades" tropes, but from a Mexican mythology standpoint, mixing Dia de los Muertos iconography with Mayan figures), the dialogue is snappy and the voice acting is very solid. For one, they used a ton of actual Hispanic actors, so the accents aren't fake. And the few non-Hispanic actors (Channing Tatum, Ron Perlman, Christina Applegate and Ice Cube....yes, Ice Cube) don't try to fake an accent.

But the real jewel is the art direction....dear God, the art.

It's like Grim Fandango and the Black Velvetopia level from Psychonauts had a baby.

Spoiler: Examples. (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 17, 2015, 04:44:43 pm »

In Bruges is a pretty damn good movie.

Great music too, definitely reccomended for anyone who enjoys Guy Ritchie style films, except this one is a bit darker and more serious.
AS - IG

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 23, 2015, 12:46:04 am »

It Follows

Just watched it.  One of the best horror movies I've seen.  Tension, mystery, and paranoia 100% from beginning to end.  Doesn't treat the audience like they're stupid.  Tells significant parts of the story by offering glimpses and letting you fill in the blanks, and I don't mean parts where horrible things happen to people.  Plot doesn't do anything obvious, and keeps you guessing the entire way through.  Strange retro, but unique style (I truly wondered when the movie was made and looked it up first thing afterwards).  Supernatural horror, but doesn't try to sell you a creature on special effects, not a single jump scare, low body count, only a single gory shot that's actually shown for legitimate story purpose, and doesn't sell itself on some psychological backstory about people creating a monster by doing something terrible.  It's very Slenderman in nature, but lower key.  Highly recommended for anyone who likes that rare kind of horror.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 12:48:55 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 23, 2015, 02:53:36 am »

LIES. That basketball towards the beginning scared the crap out of me.

Ok, you got me there.  I forgot about that moment.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 11, 2015, 01:01:16 am »

Not sure if I suggested yet
Imitation game
It's about code breakers during World War Two and the main character who has to deal with his quirks and his trouble interacting with other people to help crack the Nazi secret codes
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 96