Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132279 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #330 on: March 26, 2015, 09:33:31 am »

So, eh, somebody quoted somebody in the OOC thread mentioning a Chinese woman with a machine gun, ahem, emerging from her behind, and that reminded me of a certain Japanese film I watched a few years back.

It's called 'Zombie Ass: Toilet of the Dead'. I don't think I will venture to describe the plot, but I will say that the title is very fitting (there's some alien infestation thing as well, I recall).

Anyway, it's not really a recommendation for a cinephile, unless you suffer from an unhealthy attraction to the singular brand of crazy made in Japan.

I would recommend it to watch with a bunch of friends inundated with significant amounts of alcohol and/or stoned.

It's to be found on youtube.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:36:35 am by Il Palazzo »

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 26, 2015, 01:54:30 pm »

Frank and Robot: A funny, touching and genuine take on aging and family.  Bonus: elderly robot-assisted heists!
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 29, 2015, 09:14:12 am »

What is it with monsters and relationships recently?
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spring_2015/?search=spring

It's teh shit. Not perfect shit, mind you. Sometimes a bit too heavy on exposition, sometimes a bit corny, but beautifully shot, unusual, and with great atmosphere. You should watch it.

HeroPizza42

• Bay Watcher
  • My ☼mandrake army☼ is almost ready
    • View Profile
    • Pinterest
« Reply #333 on: March 29, 2015, 12:27:55 pm »

Jurassic park for the win every day at least for me
My Pinterest

Sorry for my grammar and spelling, I have Dyslexia amongst other problems.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 29, 2015, 02:56:17 pm »

Baymax may be a kid's movie, but it's pretty great, even though the plot becomes rather predictable after the first few minutes. Would definitely recommend.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 29, 2015, 03:02:19 pm »

Baymax
Is that what they call Big Hero 6 in your neck of the woods, Helgo?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 29, 2015, 03:25:38 pm »

Oh yeah, it is - damn country-specific names...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 13, 2015, 06:11:46 pm »

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:13:07 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 13, 2015, 07:03:00 pm »

So I saw Ex Machina today. Great movie, would recommend to anyone - but it really gets under your skin. It's science fiction exploring the border between man and machine in a new and in a sense rather subtle way, but it's best to go into it knowing as little as possible.
The Bay12 postcard club

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 13, 2015, 07:36:58 pm »

At the urging of a friend, I watched an older animated movie called Grave of the Fireflies last night. I don't usually enjoy sad movies (or japanimation for that matter), but this one was quite good. It takes place in WWII era Japan and follows a couple of kids, a little boy and his younger sister, as they try to get by. Despite a few disturbingly graphic scenes (mostly related to American bombers), I'd recommend it to someone looking for something tragic.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #340 on: April 13, 2015, 08:55:10 pm »

At the urging of a friend, I watched an older animated movie called Grave of the Fireflies last night. I don't usually enjoy sad movies (or japanimation for that matter), but this one was quite good. It takes place in WWII era Japan and follows a couple of kids, a little boy and his younger sister, as they try to get by. Despite a few disturbingly graphic scenes (mostly related to American bombers), I'd recommend it to someone looking for something tragic.
Did you or did you not cry.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 13, 2015, 10:56:41 pm »

Did you or did you not cry.

I freely admit that I was crying copiously by the end. I don't see how anyone could do any different.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #342 on: April 13, 2015, 11:18:53 pm »

Everyone cried. ;-;

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 13, 2015, 11:27:29 pm »

Speaking of recent vampire films, anyone seen 'What we do in the shadows'? An aussie pseudo-documentary about flat-sharing vampires (with a bit of a werewolf here and there).
I love this movie! I just talked a friend into watching it (and re-watched myself, of course) the other day.
I have to point out, though, that it's actually a New Zealand film. Even despite that it's still good, though! :P

(Also I agree entirely with your comments on Fury. Man, that movie made me angry. What a waste of a cinema ticket- although I don't think I paid for it myself, or else I'd remember being far angrier about it, surely.)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 14, 2015, 05:16:12 am »

So I saw Ex Machina today. Great movie, would recommend to anyone - but it really gets under your skin. It's science fiction exploring the border between man and machine in a new and in a sense rather subtle way, but it's best to go into it knowing as little as possible.
Agreed. To me, this together with Her and Under the Skin are the trifecta of recent SF cinema.

I have to point out, though, that it's actually a New Zealand film. Even despite that it's still good, though! :P
Huh. I though NZ was a town in Shire rural Australia.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 96