Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132282 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #300 on: February 14, 2015, 01:49:21 am »

For Valentines Day I recommend Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, watchin' that villain guy show people their own hearts.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 14, 2015, 04:02:53 am »

Contagion is pretty good, and doesn't suffer from the arthouse conception that a movie isn't good unless you randomly kill some main characters at the end.

It's a pretty strange movie, mind you, but still very engaging.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 14, 2015, 04:39:19 pm »

Zeit der Kannibalen (Time of the Cannibals) was recently named best German movie of 2014. If you speak the language (or can find a translation) watch it!
Also, In Order of Disappearance is still great.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 16, 2015, 09:32:44 am »

Been watching a lot of movies lately

Fluffy movie: this is a movie for comedian Gabriel (Iglesias?) who is larger comedian, movie title comes from one of his jokes 'I'm not fat I'm fluffy'. Was a pretty good kinda funny movie but wasn't as good as most of his standup acts, it was a lot more of life story stuff and less of the hilarious comedy he normally does but still a good movie. 7.5/10 would watch again

The Giver: Based on a book by the same name, enter a 'utopian' society where the world has no problems, people are the same, there is no discrimination, and there is no emotion. Except for the one elder who keeps all the communities memories in case of dire situations where someone who knows about last events could become useful. Jonas has been chosen as the receiver of memories to fill in the aging man who currently holds them. But will the emotions become too much for him to handle? 9/10 biased because it did the book justice.

Paddington Bear: This is a very cute movie, a bit sad at points and heartwarming in others. There are a few scenes that make absolutly no sense at all but then you have to remind yourself that it's a movie about a young talking bear in London. 7.8/10 would watch again

Fury: This is a gore fest of World War Two, a new recruit is sent in to replace the recently killed assistant driver of the tank nicknamed 'FURY'. This tank's crew has been together since the start of the war and now the new guy is not welcomed at all as they fight to end the war in the heart of Germany. This movie reveals some very scary and possibly true scenes of what soilders were like during this war, one scene the new guy is forced to murder a surrendering German soilder. Watch as they fight through thick and thin of the final days of the war. 8/10 warning very graphic violence
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 16, 2015, 09:55:27 am »

Fury
This film is dumb, and the dumbness gets only accentuated by its pretentiousness. Steer away from it.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 16, 2015, 10:05:57 am »

What makes you say it's dumb?
The only problem I have is that it's inaccurate, but so is a lot of stuff about WW2

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 16, 2015, 11:12:41 am »

It's a film about a tank crew made of one-dimensional stereotypes shooting what can only be described as hilariously incompetent lemmings dressed up as SS soldiers, every now and then stopping to proclaim the horrors of war with a straight face and a wink of moral superiority.

It's internally inconsistent, tonally-challenged, ham-fisted and arrogant.

It wants to be two things at once: an anti-war film, and an army recruitment advert.

But having the redshirts and attractive civilians die just to drive the first one home feels less like the cruel randomness of war, and more like the sergeant from FMJ shouting at you: 'did you get it yet?' With the same level of subtlety.
Who gets to die and who lives is all telegraphed miles ahead and is as surprising to see as the credits roll when the film finally ends.

Half way through, the film remembers its other raison d'etre, and what you get, essentially, is a 300 movie, with mooks properly demonised and made easy to dispose of. There is no tension whatsoever, as the tank is equipped with a special forcefield making the enemies stupid.

Now maybe some people find the chiselled face of an American Hero telling them that 'war is hell' while wading through heaps of corpses of undeniably evil enemies and perhaps even heroically dying at the end a step up from other comic-book fare out there, but I found it insulting, ham-fisted and dumb.

God, I hate this film.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:14:21 am by Il Palazzo »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 16, 2015, 11:33:31 am »

So it's just like half of the other things about WW2
Haven't you played any WW2 call of duty game? Or seen other movies about it?
There are few movies that don't depict it like that, especially with all of Germany being mindless retarded mooks.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 16, 2015, 11:36:39 am »

I was never of the opinion that widespread stupidity justifies itself.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 16, 2015, 11:41:30 am »

I guess I'm just trying to say, when I saw it I wasn't expecting some amazing war film, I was expecting guys in a tank slaughtering mooks and maybe a storyline.
No stupidity doesn't justify itself but widespread stupidy does make what's going to happen predictable and expected.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #310 on: February 16, 2015, 03:07:58 pm »

I agree with all of Il Palazzo's complaints, but somehow I still managed to really enjoy all the action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 26, 2015, 04:11:52 pm »

Just saw The Kingsmen.  It was a super fun movie!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 26, 2015, 04:38:37 pm »

+1
Great movie

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 27, 2015, 07:59:27 pm »

+1
Great movie

I want to own it, just so I can watch the church scene over and over again.  I've had the Freebird guitar solo stuck in my head ever since I saw it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 10, 2015, 01:37:34 am »

I reccommend all of Leslie Nielson's comedies, including the obscure ones like Space Travesty, and the Bad Golf Trilogy
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 96