Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132283 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #240 on: July 02, 2014, 03:55:21 pm »

If you're into action movies I would suggest Troll Hunter. It's a movie set in Norway about some university students who end up finding a government agent who hunts trolls for a living. It's available on Netflix last I checked. Although if you can't stand subtitles I wouldn't bother
I would recommend this one as well. Isn't nearly as B-movie as it sounds.
Not the best movie IMO.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 02, 2014, 03:56:18 pm »

Not saying it's the best, but it's much better than it sounds. Worth a view if you're bored.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #242 on: July 02, 2014, 04:32:25 pm »

Not saying it's the best, but it's much better than it sounds. Worth a view if you're bored.
What I mean is: "I did not like it. I think it is a bad movie." I've friends who enjoyed it, so it's prolly just not my cup of tea.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 03, 2014, 10:41:29 am »

Troll Hunter was pretty cool, especially since it's like, the only move with that approach to that particular subject I've ever seen.

Anyways, just finished watching The Raid 2. Pretty damn good, they basically took the first one and upped it to 11. It's even got a plot to speak of now! Also some rather iconic scenes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 06, 2014, 05:23:47 pm »

I'd like the recommend The Raid and it's sequel. Hyper violent Indonesian police-drama action films, very suspenseful and amazing fight choreography. The English dub I saw was pretty good.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 06, 2014, 05:55:05 pm »

I didn't like it (The Raid 2), but oh well. :P I guess if one likes silly martial arts films it would appeal.
Man, there have been some interesting suggestions in this thread over the past couple of pages. I definitely need to check some of these out. Oh, and, Apocalypse Now has to be one of my favourite films. It was amazing to watch.
I couldn't get through the book, though. I think I got over halfway and gave up, it was just... too obtuse in its wording.

I think I already suggested my favourite films that haven't been suggested already.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 06, 2014, 11:50:46 pm »

Huh; I might be the only person I know who actually prefers the extended edition of Apocalypse Now. Thought the additions and slower pacing added to it very well. It is a war movie, but much more of an Odyssey than an action flick.

On a lighter note: Turtles Forever. Animated TMNT movie with multiple teams of turtles from different incarnations of the series (mostly the modern 'cool' turtles and the goofy 80s guys). It... it kicks so much ass. I probably won't even go to see the new one this weekend; I'll just re-watch this instead =D
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 07, 2014, 01:02:35 am »

Just found the 1313 movies plumbing the depths of Netflix somewhere. I don't know just what the hell it was that I watched, but it probably would have made more sense if I hadn't been sober.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 07, 2014, 01:04:20 am »

Huh; I might be the only person I know who actually prefers the extended edition of Apocalypse Now. Thought the additions and slower pacing added to it very well. It is a war movie, but much more of an Odyssey than an action flick.

On a lighter note: Turtles Forever. Animated TMNT movie with multiple teams of turtles from different incarnations of the series (mostly the modern 'cool' turtles and the goofy 80s guys). It... it kicks so much ass. I probably won't even go to see the new one this weekend; I'll just re-watch this instead =D

I do warn you... if you remember the 1987 Ninja Turtles very well and LIKED the 1987 Ninja Turtles... It will disappoint you in their depiction.

Lets just say, I have a suspicion that the people who made the movie actually hate the 1987 Ninja Turtles... but had to do a tribute anyway.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 07, 2014, 02:20:51 am »

Well, I've only seen the extended edition, myself.
The scene in question certainly didn't detract from the film in my opinion, though; I thought it was great.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 24, 2014, 03:46:58 pm »

Movies recently consumed:

Snowpiercer- it's as if a side scrolling beat-em-up game from the 90s was made into a movie.

Guardians of the Galaxy- surprisingly good, given the less mainstream property used. Lots of explosions
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 24, 2014, 04:52:36 pm »

Singham.  A while ago my family watched it together because we were bored and wanted to do something, so we just watched it on Netflix.  and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD WAS IT AMAZING.
It's a Bollywood movie about a badass cop in an Indian village fighting against corruption and injustice.  One of the most memorable movies I've ever seen.

I hear the sequel is pretty meh though :/

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 24, 2014, 05:00:10 pm »

I will say that Rise of the Planet of the Apes was surprisingly good. It's not a deep philosophical movie or anything (though it does have themes on the nature of bigotry and cross-cultural misunderstanding), but it was an acceptably decent movie, and I was expecting it to be terrible.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 12, 2014, 11:53:45 pm »

Blade runner was pretty good
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 12, 2014, 11:56:02 pm »

Blade runner was pretty good
What a coincidence, watching it right now.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 96