Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132213 times)

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #210 on: June 16, 2014, 03:23:20 pm »

Somebody mentioned The Man from Earth a while back. I remembered another "talky" film, with a similar vibe of quiet poignancy. It's called Last Night(http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1094041-last_night/), and it's about people dealing with the imminent end of the world.
There's never any exposition as to why or how the world ends, you're just dropped in the midst of the last hours before the event(which is public knowledge). Ther's no heroes trying to avert fate, just regular people coming to terms with the futility of existence. It's very, very uplifting for a film infused with an aura of inescapable doom.

Like Melancholia?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 16, 2014, 05:10:23 pm »

Completely unlike Melancholia.
For one, I'd question whether there was anything uplifting in having Lars von Trier repeatedly hit you on the head with a big blue metaphor for life-destroying depression, while whispering in your ear to abandon all hope and just give up already.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 16, 2014, 05:40:38 pm »

Since talkie films got mentioned, there's Mindwalk. I don't remember it very well, but I was entertained by it at the time. So it's a recommendation I guess? I seem to recall it was a very middle-aged film.
RottenTomatoes

Nothing quite as dramatic as Man From Earth or Last Night.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 16, 2014, 07:32:36 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:21:17 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #214 on: June 17, 2014, 12:35:16 am »

Primer. Watch Primer.
Love that movie. Still don't get it entirely though.
Unfortunately, it was recently taken off of Netflix. Not sure where you can (legally) get it now.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 17, 2014, 01:36:43 am »

Is Primer the time traveling one, in Spanish?

Edit:
Derpgoogled, I was thinking of another time travel movie, but I do remember Primer.

Editedit:
Timecrimes! That's the one I was thinking of.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:46:03 am by UrbanGiraffe »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 17, 2014, 02:00:18 am »

Primer. Watch Primer.
Love that movie. Still don't get it entirely though.
Have you seen Upstream Colour? I.e., the other Shane Carruth film.
Primer was at least understandable in principle. It was an engineer's film. You had a feeling that there was a logical plot behind all that discombabulating time travel shenanigans and its laudable refusal to give any exposition at all, and if you only spend some time working it out you'll figure it out.
Upstream Colour seems to be a completely different kettle of fish. It's a pretty damn crazy maybe mystical, maybe allegory, maybe impressionistic head-scratcher. I'm not convinced if what's happening on screen is even supposed to be disentangled, if it means anything.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 17, 2014, 02:01:31 am »

I just watched the Godfather. So now officially everyone ever has seen that movie.

Is part 2 any good?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:05:14 am by Dutchling »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #218 on: June 17, 2014, 02:19:54 am »

I just watched the Godfather. So now officially everyone ever has seen that movie.

I haven't. And I have no interest in ever watching it. Excuse me while I duck and cover.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 17, 2014, 02:22:30 am »

I haven't. And I have no interest in ever watching it. Excuse me while I duck and cover.
It's because you've read the book, isn't it? Don't fret, there's no corrective vaginal surgeries in the film. They had the sense to cut that part out.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #220 on: June 17, 2014, 02:37:39 am »

It's because you've read the book, isn't it? Don't fret, there's no corrective vaginal surgeries in the film. They had the sense to cut that part out.
I'm with Sappho here. It's weird, I can listen to a bunch of teachers talking to each other about one thing for over an hour in a single setpiece cabin, but you throw in family drama, even family drama with machine guns, and I pass out from boredom.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 17, 2014, 04:46:12 am »

How did I forget to mention this?

Dead Man is a really good movie. It's a psychedelic western about an accountant who travels by train to a frontier village in the middle of nowhere to become an accountant there. When he arrives, he finds that his position has already been filled. After this some stuff happens and he finds himself being tracked by three infamous cowboys, while he meets an Indian called Nobody that thinks he is the reincarnation of a poet.

It's a really weird movie, but I really like it. It's one of my favorite movies, alongside Moon.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:49:38 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #222 on: June 17, 2014, 07:20:54 pm »

Wait, what? The hell kind of film is this? ???
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #223 on: June 18, 2014, 12:33:22 am »

Wait, what? The hell kind of film is this? ???
He just said that part wasn't in the film. :p And it's about pre-40s gangsters.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #224 on: June 18, 2014, 01:10:02 am »

I have not read the book and I still have no interest in watching a movie about a bunch of pre-40s gangsters. (I also have no interest in reading the book.) Honestly, it blows my mind that so many people are interested in that. I find it mind-numbingly tedious and unpleasant to watch. Violence, fear, tyranny, sexism... I don't like any of that stuff. Anytime I've been forced to watch any kind of "gangster" film, I've always found myself rolling my eyes and asking how long until it's over, even as other people are at the edge of their seats.

It may also have something to do with the fact that I can't relate to "family" being in any way significant in life. My family is something I simply don't think about anymore after a horrible abusive childhood, and as soon as I was old enough, I just got up and left, moved halfway across the world. I can never understand in these gangster films why the "family" feels obligated to stay together when they could just get on a plane and leave the country. Or why you would choose to protect a family member who treats you badly rather than help someone unrelated who's good to you. It's all just nonsense to me.

And anyway, the story and images and themes of the Godfather are so ubiquitous in media nowadays that I already pretty much know the story and all the most famous lines even without watching the film.

On the other hand, I second Dead Man. Surreal, psychedelic stuff, extremely well done. Funny, emotional, mind-blowing at times. There are so many moments in that film where I just feel like YES! Why don't more films do THIS? And the characters are just amazing. Plus, the music is awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 96