Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132327 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #180 on: June 11, 2014, 01:06:33 pm »

I'm pretty terrible at knowing the difference between good movies and bad movies, but I do have a few recommendations:
  • Perfect Sense - kind of a romantic movie, but the underlying concept was cool enough for me to greatly appreciate it.
  • Matchstick Men - Nic Cage is a neurotic, phobic conman! Definitely on the good side of Cage movies.
  • Bringing Out The Dead - Nic Cage is a paramedic! I liked the soundtrack, and it had a slightly dreamlike quality to it.
  • Vampire's Kiss - Nic Cage may or may not be turning into a vampire! Definitely a good bad movie.
  • Dark Star - sort of comedy sci-fi? Some questionable special effects, but I loved it completely.
  • Jodorowsky's Dune - a documentary about the most amazing sci-fi movie project I've heard of. Very good, and Jodorowsky has a fun accent to listen to.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #181 on: June 11, 2014, 01:22:01 pm »

Jodorowsky's Dune is pretty good. A bit frustrating, since the film was never made and I would SO have loved that film. Jodorowsky himself is completely nuts. He reminds me of my landlord, actually, in a funny way.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 11, 2014, 01:52:24 pm »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:19:24 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 11, 2014, 01:53:43 pm »

Are we talking about the Mexican(?) surrealist film maker Jodorowsky? I've seen a few of his films and they're... I don't even know. I guess that's surrealism for you. And I'm assuming Dune would have been based on the famous book? Sounds like something I'd have to hunt down, thanks.

Nic Cage. He makes horrible films. Absolutely dreadful. On the upside he's a great actor. Interesting thing, that. I also second Dark Star recommendation. An interesting little sci-fi-com. And I can always appreciate a Kubric homage. At least I'm pretty sure it was a Kubric homage. It has a philosophical little chat with a bomb among other amusing bits, unless I'm mistaken on the film.

I don't remember seeing any Herzog films mentioned here (but then it's been 200 +/- posts since the OP), so how about Aguirre. Wrath of God is the English subtitle. It's a tale about a group of Spanish conquistadors in search of an Indian treasure city deep in the jungles of South America, somewhere along the Amazon river. There is much madness, which shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who's seen Herzog's direction or Klaus Kinski's acting in action before. Comparisons to Apocalypse Now would not be totally unfounded.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 11, 2014, 02:41:11 pm »

Are we talking about the Mexican(?) surrealist film maker Jodorowsky? I've seen a few of his films and they're... I don't even know. I guess that's surrealism for you. And I'm assuming Dune would have been based on the famous book? Sounds like something I'd have to hunt down, thanks.

He's apparently Chilean, but he worked in Mexico, and his version of Dune is one worth learning of (and the documentary of the parts of its making that happened plays out much more interestingly than most documentaries do).

Nic Cage. He makes horrible films. Absolutely dreadful. On the upside he's a great actor. Interesting thing, that. I also second Dark Star recommendation. An interesting little sci-fi-com. And I can always appreciate a Kubric homage. At least I'm pretty sure it was a Kubric homage. It has a philosophical little chat with a bomb among other amusing bits, unless I'm mistaken on the film.

I can't really say the same, but that's presumably due to different standards on what a dreadful film is. There are a few films of his that are definitely on the lower end of the quality scale (Ghost Rider or Deadfall are ones that immediately come to mind that I've seen, genuinely sub-par films, those), but some of his work, like Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans, Leaving Las Vegas, Matchstick Men, even the sillier ones like Vampire's Kiss I think of as superior-quality movies.

I don't remember seeing any Herzog films mentioned here (but then it's been 200 +/- posts since the OP), so how about Aguirre. Wrath of God is the English subtitle. It's a tale about a group of Spanish conquistadors in search of an Indian treasure city deep in the jungles of South America, somewhere along the Amazon river. There is much madness, which shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who's seen Herzog's direction or Klaus Kinski's acting in action before. Comparisons to Apocalypse Now would not be totally unfounded.

Wasn't that one filmed with a great deal of insanity involved as well? I should probably watch that, actually. I've only seen Bad Lieutenant 2 of his movies, and I sure loved that.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 11, 2014, 02:55:49 pm »

Also if you haven't seen The Big Lebowski then see it. Now.

I remember that being pretty good. I've only watched it once.

I've seen it at least five or six times. I'd recommend watching it again. It's written very well and there's a lot of subtle stuff that's harder to catch until you get more familiar with the movie.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 11, 2014, 04:21:47 pm »

Dark Crystal
And that reminds me that you need to add Labyrinth to that list.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 11, 2014, 04:28:15 pm »

Yeah, Dark Star's awesome.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 11, 2014, 04:36:21 pm »

Iron Sky anyone?

Because seriously, Iron fucking Sky.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 11, 2014, 04:53:35 pm »

Given my avatar, I guess I should mention Donnie Darko.

It's about a gifted but troubled (possibly schizophrenic) teen growing up in 80s suburban America.

Also time travel, parallel universes, the end of the world, and a creepy soft-spoken rabbit called Frank.

I'm not sure the time travel aspect holds up to close scrutiny, and it's possibly not quite as clever as it (or some fans) thinks it is, but it's still a good film and worth a watch or two.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 11, 2014, 05:14:38 pm »

Most other people just don't experience or process information this way.

Wait... really? I'm INTP to the point where I'm currently working on being able to feel anything, and I mostly process the world/plan/learn etc. through fantasizing/reading fiction... and I was a serious daydreamer/player of imaginary games as a kid.

I could be wrong, and I know my analyses doesn't apply universally.  Maybe it has more to do with being introverted or NP.  But INFP is the one type that's very strongly associated with this kind of thing (go to the INFP section on personalitycafe and most of the talk is about being off in wonderland).  And I've known a couple INFPs who said they would not just daydream, but would wander the woods actively engaging in fantasy to the point of losing touch with reality until someone else would come along and bring them back... much like the kid in that film.

Regardless, it's pretty safe to say that it's a movie very few ESTJs will relate to.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #191 on: June 12, 2014, 02:19:16 am »

Iron Sky
I mentioned that one earlier. It's pretty awesome, I must say.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #192 on: June 12, 2014, 02:45:38 am »

Iron Sky
I mentioned that one earlier. It's pretty awesome, I must say.
I've seen it on Netflix. I once watched about five minutes in before getting distracted and doing something else. That was a while ago.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 12, 2014, 10:45:00 am »

edge of tomarow
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 12, 2014, 05:45:27 pm »

I just watched The Adventures of Baron Munchausen today. Do recommend.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 96