Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132225 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #165 on: June 10, 2014, 06:23:00 pm »

Snowpiercer.

It does not hold its punches let me tell you. But it's an awesome movie, you just gotta go in knowing it was made by a Korean bastard (even though it is originally french) so there's gonna be so rather hard to digest stuff.

Spoiler: Only if you've seen it (click to show/hide)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 10, 2014, 08:19:51 pm »

The Wrestler:
If you've seen this vessel to thespian revival of Mickey Rourke, and you thought it was worthwile, especially in the meta-aspect, go and watch JCVD. It's a film where Van Damme acts!!! It's absolutely astounding, if you're aware of his, uh, acting career. Most of it's appeal might be lost on those unfamiliar with what Van Damme stands for, but then again, how many of those are there anyway?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 10, 2014, 10:24:13 pm »

Have you seen them before? They're all utterly fantastic.
I had not, and still haven't seen the other two. Definitely on the list, though!

Perfect Blue
Man, this one... it made more sense than it could have, but I still think the thriller aspects kind of got lost under the "wait, how did...?" parts. I thought specific concepts in it were good, but I didn't like it as a whole.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #168 on: June 11, 2014, 01:08:29 am »

Aw, man, almost all of my favorites have been suggested already. I'll emphatically second Ip Man and Ip Man 2 for pure awesome. Instantly started looking for more Donnie Yen after that.

For my 'everyone has probably already seen this... right?', American Beauty. Requiem for a Dream. Big Fish. All three make me cry every time. Also Master and Commander, something I never expected to like - the 1800s nautical theme is usually just not for me, but it's one of the few movies I've willingly watched more than once.

Europa Report, for an unexpected diamond-in-rough of sci-fi, though the arc felt sort of predictable. The Man from Earth, for something much more inventive, though some people might be put off by the fact that it's pure dialog.

For a solid dose of WTF, Foodfight! (emphasis not my own) With Charley Sheen, Hilary Duff, and Wayne Brady as an obnoxious squirrel seemingly afflicted with Parkinson's. I still can't believe it was ever made, let alone released.

Take every food mascot you can think of and shove them roughly into a poorly (really, terribly, badly) 3d-animated Pixar knock-off clusterfuck. That is how Foodfight! do. Nothing in it makes sense, some of it will actually make you angry that 45 million money was spent on it. It was scheduled for release in 2003, looked worse than video-game graphics of the period, and was then delayed until 2012 when someone actually decided to push it out there - presumably for laughs. It's so bad it's surreal, and I was deeply uncomfortable with every moment it took out of my life. Enjoy!
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 11, 2014, 01:48:20 am »

History of the Future Folk is a campy story about an alien that comes to earth and starts a band. I watched it recently. It's great.

Also if you haven't seen The Big Lebowski then see it. Now.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #170 on: June 11, 2014, 02:22:47 am »

Films everyone should have seen by now but maybe some of the younger folks haven't - if you missed any of these, go watch them now, we'll wait:
Stripes
History of the World Part I
Dark Crystal
Akira
Brazil
Little Shop of Horrors
Willow
The Gods Must Be Crazy

More good films you might not have seen:
Waking Life
The Brothers Grimm (warning: half funny, half dark, half super cheesy)
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Mr. Nobody
Krabat (German, fantasy quite dark)
Idiocracy
Where the Wild Things Are (have a box of tissues ready)
Metropolis (silent)
Dark City

Also, this site is useful for finding new films to watch: http://movielens.org

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2014, 04:24:04 am »

Das Boot.  I accidentally picked up the full cut which is around five hours long.  Watched the whole thing.  Gripping (though for your own sake pick up a shorter cut).

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #172 on: June 11, 2014, 04:32:50 am »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2014, 04:44:55 am »

The Big Lebowski
It wasn't that good.
Yes it was! Also, other classics: Twelve angry men and Dr. Strangelove. These movies mark the line between man and beast.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2014, 04:49:03 am »

Also if you haven't seen The Big Lebowski then see it. Now.
I remember that being pretty good. I've only watched it once.

Das Boot.  I accidentally picked up the full cut which is around five hours long.  Watched the whole thing.  Gripping (though for your own sake pick up a shorter cut).
I prefer the director's cut! I really love that movie, it's right there next to U-571 and K-19 The Widowmaker (<-- that movie rules).

Stripes
Akira
The Gods Must Be Crazy
These are all really good, but very different from one another. :p I thought Stripes was hilarious at the start and got less funny as it went on. I haven't seen the Gods Must Be Crazy in a really long time and I should watch it again.

Little Shop of Horrors
I'm not really into the campy horror thing but I can enjoy it sometimes, and I love a good musical, however, the whole thing together was just too weird for me, just like the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Not by any means a bad flick, just not for me.

The Brothers Grimm
I thought it was pretty disturbing in a fascinating way. I love the movie, but I can't stand watching it because some of the shit in there makes my skin crawl.

Where the Wild Things Are
I really, really don't like this movie. Knowing the story, since I've read the children's book, it makes the film kind of deflated. I watched it, and it seemed like they were trying to do something different with it, but in the end it's pretty much the same story except the entire thing is super depressing and tense. The live-action filming is rather impressive.

Doctor Strangelove
No fighting in the war room!
That movie was great.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2014, 06:48:06 am »

Perfect Blue
Man, this one... it made more sense than it could have, but I still think the thriller aspects kind of got lost under the "wait, how did...?" parts. I thought specific concepts in it were good, but I didn't like it as a whole.

Really?  The whole thing made sense to me.

I really, really don't like this movie. Knowing the story, since I've read the children's book, it makes the film kind of deflated. I watched it, and it seemed like they were trying to do something different with it, but in the end it's pretty much the same story except the entire thing is super depressing and tense. The live-action filming is rather impressive.

Now here's one that I think the majority of viewers are doomed to not understand.  The whole point of it, I think, is to show how an INFP child experiences the world in their own unique growing up process.  As half INFP myself and having talked with a few full-on INFPs about how they experience things, I could get it.  Most people are not anything like that or have developed any awareness of those who are, so it goes way over their heads.

And yeah... I was really impressed with the balance they managed in the story between innocent and terrifying.  There were a couple very, very suspenseful scenes.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 06:58:09 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 11, 2014, 07:13:04 am »

-snip-

I've only seen four of them. And a bit of the Dark Crystal, which I gave up on after a few minutes.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #177 on: June 11, 2014, 10:11:21 am »

Now here's one that I think the majority of viewers are doomed to not understand.  The whole point of it, I think, is to show how an INFP child experiences the world in their own unique growing up process.  As half INFP myself and having talked with a few full-on INFPs about how they experience things, I could get it.  Most people are not anything like that or have developed any awareness of those who are, so it goes way over their heads.

I disagree. I don't think it's as specific as that. And although I love the book, I don't consider the film to be in any way a retelling of that story. It's an original work which was inspired by the book.

The book was about feeling angry, something other children's books never did at the time. The film goes beyond that, exploring anger, fear, loneliness, hopelessness, etc. To me, this film taps into raw feelings that are usually difficult to get at. It's about many different things, but while it may have different specific meanings for different people, I think if you go into it with an open mind and no expectations or preconceptions, it's really an astounding film with something to offer to everyone. I'm actually surprised to discover that not everyone likes it or thinks it's good.

Unless you like to keep your feelings hidden carefully away, I guess, or consider showing emotion to be weak or wrong, even when you're alone. I watch that film whenever I feel the need to cry.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 11, 2014, 12:06:00 pm »

I disagree. I don't think it's as specific as that. And although I love the book, I don't consider the film to be in any way a retelling of that story. It's an original work which was inspired by the book.

The book was about feeling angry, something other children's books never did at the time. The film goes beyond that, exploring anger, fear, loneliness, hopelessness, etc. To me, this film taps into raw feelings that are usually difficult to get at. It's about many different things, but while it may have different specific meanings for different people, I think if you go into it with an open mind and no expectations or preconceptions, it's really an astounding film with something to offer to everyone. I'm actually surprised to discover that not everyone likes it or thinks it's good.

Unless you like to keep your feelings hidden carefully away, I guess, or consider showing emotion to be weak or wrong, even when you're alone. I watch that film whenever I feel the need to cry.

It's not that I think the purpose of the film is supposed to be that specific. 

I just think it explains the presentation.  I was really curious about the film when it first came out, and went looking around to see what people's reactions were.  The vast majority didn't have a clue what to think of it.  They thought it was a bunch of pointless nonsense.  Playful imagery cashing in on the book without any substance.  Whereas I could easily recognize what it was doing, and that it was intended to be very much its own story, loosely inspired by the book.  The only other people I found who got it were INFPs or people who were close to that. 

I realized it's because other types don't use fantasy to learn about the world, at least not on the same level.  I'm INXP (very strongly INP and right on the line between T/F), and much of my personal development has come from absorbing fantasy.  I read something like Tolkien and find revelations that cause pieces of my perspective on the real world to fall into place and make sense.  I've talked with some people who were all the way INFP, who described sort of the same thing, except they spent large parts of their childhood completely absorbed in their own personal fantasies (imaginary friends and the like) with the same end result.  Most other people just don't experience or process information this way.

The kid in the movie learns deep lessons about his own emotions and how he socializes them, and he does it through becoming completely immersed in his own epic imaginary fantasy.  Most people just don't relate to that.

And yeah... I think I teared up too.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 11, 2014, 12:11:33 pm »

Watch Face Off. I'm still not sure if it's a good movie or a bad movie.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 96