Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132327 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #150 on: June 08, 2014, 06:20:45 pm »

So, in my research into Studio Ghibli for this academic paper, I keep seeing ominous references to a project called "Little Nemo" in these books. Is there anything of note about that one?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 08, 2014, 11:50:46 pm »

I watched The Good The Bad and The Ugly.

Was good, reccomended.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2014, 11:52:23 pm »

I just finished watching The City of Lost Children. The story is a bit confusing at times, but it has a great retro sci-fi aesthetic (some may call it steampunk, though I think it might actually be more dieselpunk; regardless, it probably deserves the -punk suffix more than most works known as such).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2014, 11:58:16 pm »

Don't watch any 007 film with Roger Moore in it. DO watch Timothy Dalton in "The Living Daylights", because that movie rocks.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 09, 2014, 12:10:05 am »

Don't watch any 007 film with Roger Moore in it. DO watch Timothy Dalton in "The Living Daylights", because that movie rocks.

Hey Hey! Moonraker was bad-good! I mean, space Bond! Also The Spy Who Loved Me was pretty decent
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #155 on: June 09, 2014, 12:20:18 am »

Hey Hey! Moonraker was bad-good! I mean, space Bond! Also The Spy Who Loved Me was pretty decent
Oh no those are the exception because they have huge gunfights at the end and I love them. And the underwater battle at the end of Thunderball was pretty cool.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #156 on: June 09, 2014, 01:27:23 am »

I just finished watching The City of Lost Children. The story is a bit confusing at times, but it has a great retro sci-fi aesthetic (some may call it steampunk, though I think it might actually be more dieselpunk; regardless, it probably deserves the -punk suffix more than most works known as such).

If you liked that one, try Delicatessen.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 09, 2014, 03:25:05 am »

I watched The Good The Bad and The Ugly.

Was good, reccomended.

Now watch The Good The Bad and The Wierd, it's korean, it's awesome and  I can't reccomend it to enough people :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 09, 2014, 06:33:43 pm »

Holy Trinity of Mindmaker:

A Beautiful Mind
Road to Perdition
The Green Mile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #159 on: June 09, 2014, 06:40:59 pm »

The Green Mile
Great flick. Too bad the big guy's dead now.. :c

Now watch The Good The Bad and The Wierd, it's korean, it's awesome and  I can't reccomend it to enough people :D
YES. This, and Let the Bullets Fly. They're both hilarious and the action's pretty great.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 09, 2014, 09:32:43 pm »

Perfect Blue
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 10, 2014, 11:55:48 am »

My recently watched films that I would definitly recommend watching:

The Wrestler:

Watched this movie kind of by accident, but I'm definitly happy that I watched it. The storyline itself is rather short, but the way it is represented is just marvelous. The movie really excels at providing the right atmosphere with non-verbal methods. Sadly, I personally found the end scene to be lacking a bit.

We Are the Night: (original title: "Wir sind die Nacht")

I can't really describe why I like this movie. Basically, it is a vampire movie set in modern times, but it's not one of those horrible twilight copies. It really manages to capture the vibes of hedonism, eternal youth and the inevitable feeling of getting bored by your everlasting life. The cast is all female (and the movie basically depicts a female-only society) so it may be more appealing to women.

Let the right one in: (orinigal title: "Låt den Rätte Komma In")

Talking about vampire movies, you absolutely have to watch this film (the swedish original, not the Hollywood remake). I can't really say anything about the movie without spoiling to much, but it is a very emotional, dark movie, combining elements of a horror movie with a tragic romance. It's just a prime example of the goodness that swedish independant movies are.

I can also second the recommandations of "Book of Kells" and "Abre los ojos". If you like the latter (or surrealist movies in general) you should definitly check out "Lost Highway" and especially "Mulholland Drive".

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #162 on: June 10, 2014, 12:52:40 pm »

The cast is all female (and the movie basically depicts a female-only society) so it may be more appealing to women.

This sort of thinking always makes me scratch my head. There are loads of films featuring all-male or mostly-male characters (the majority of films, actually), but no one ever assumes such films are only of interest to men. I generally find that both men and women are interested in stories about people, not only their own gender. Why would men not like something just because it doesn't feature men? Women obviously don't have a problem watching films that don't feature any women.

In any case, speaking of good German films, here are some older ones I can heartily recommend:
Erbsen auf Halb 6 - actually a very good romantic comedy/drama about a blind woman and a man who becomes blind (very funny)
Die Fetten Jahre Sind Vorbei ("The Edukators") - drama about young activists trying to reconcile their values with the world, political vandalism goes wrong...
Was Nuetzt die Liebe in Gedanken ("Love In Thoughts") - drama based on the true story of a young poet (Paul Krantz) and a crazy party with a lot of unstable young people in 1927.

EDIT: By the way, I've been trying to find a copy of Erbsen Auf Halb 6 for years and I haven't found one anywhere. If anyone can locate it, please share with me. : ) Nevermind, found it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 12:58:37 pm by Sappho »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 10, 2014, 12:56:35 pm »

Adam's Apples. German-Danish, though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 10, 2014, 01:29:52 pm »

The cast is all female (and the movie basically depicts a female-only society) so it may be more appealing to women.

This sort of thinking always makes me scratch my head. There are loads of films featuring all-male or mostly-male characters (the majority of films, actually), but no one ever assumes such films are only of interest to men. I generally find that both men and women are interested in stories about people, not only their own gender. Why would men not like something just because it doesn't feature men? Women obviously don't have a problem watching films that don't feature any women.

You did get me wrong. As a male, I definitly enjoyed the movie. However, the film reminds me a bit of "Sex and the City" in some scenes, with some "girl talk" going on etc. I just though that that could appeal to a certain audience. My bad for wording it a bit too general.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 96