Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132309 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2014, 11:20:27 pm »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:28:32 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2014, 11:36:34 pm »

I think my brain just ignored it because it subconsciously reminded me of this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: hopefully that link works now
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 12:04:49 am by Gatleos »
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2014, 12:02:32 am »

Broken link there

Going on the recommended Ghibli list from earlier I must thank Il Palazzo for recommending Princess Mononoke. The characters were so deep and complex, the plot just so perfectly constructed and tragic with 100% grey morality. Quite a great take on the environmental message, too. Definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Man, this puts me in the mood for some really good historical fantasy. Got any recommendations?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2014, 12:14:17 am »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:23:56 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2014, 12:19:41 am »

I've heard good things about that movie, will totally check it out when I have time. Got any others?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2014, 12:43:40 am »

Man, this puts me in the mood for some really good historical fantasy. Got any recommendations?
Hero (the Jet Li one because goddamn there's a lot of films with that name) is a good wuxia film set in ancient China.

Also seconding Pan's Labyrinth.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2014, 02:48:50 am »

Also to any horror fan (or fan of a good movie really), Cabin in the woods. Just watch it, don't read up on it, don't research it, don't ask people about it, just watch it, a fresh watching is mindblowingly fun and awesome, trust me on this one.

Have to disagree on just the point of no preparation being required. The first two acts will seem quite generic and unfunny if you haven't seen the first Evil Dead (both are on Netflix), so while you may still get a good payoff by the third act, most of it probably won't seem very good. Still a good/great movie, and aside from that, yeah, avoid all spoilers.

I've got one question before I decide to watch any "horror" movie. Is it actually a horror movie, or is it a gore-fest? I don't mind movies which are scary (The Others is a good one) but I have a serious problem with gore unless it's intentionally so cartoonish as to be funny (like Evil Dead). If it looks at all realistic, I'm out.

Yeah, I agree. Fear is a cool mechanic that can be used well in a movie, but movies that just abuse gore, jump scares, and abrupt sound cues feel like a waste of time to me if there isn't some other substance. For this reason most horror films I like are more like suspense movies than straight horror, which is how I'd describe something like Pontypool, which uses some gore and horror but largely relies on suspense. Evil Dead I think was trying to be a straight horror film more or less (though they definitely went crazy into humor with the sequels), but I found it pretty enjoyable as such.

Maybe Evil Dead specifically isn't needed to enjoy Cabin in the Woods, it's just the most directly related and gets some specific references. You could probably get the same effect even from something like Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (since they share the same origin in Evil Dead), or just a wide base of the somewhat formulaic teenage horror movies that get churned out every year.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

^ kind of spoilerish for Cabin in the woods.

Also unrelated, Sky Captain and the world of tommorow is awesome, go watch it now guys :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2014, 04:09:11 am »

Ong-Bak
Oh my god this was amazing. I can't claim to be a martial arts connoisseur of any description, but this had hands-down the absolute best "realistic" fight choreography of anything I have ever seen. The detail and flow some scenes had was absolutely riveting in a way you really wouldn't expect from two people punching each other.

It makes me legitimately sad that I have no way to hand these people money.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2014, 04:46:24 am »

Ong-Bak
Oh my god this was amazing. I can't claim to be a martial arts connoisseur of any description, but this had hands-down the absolute best "realistic" fight choreography of anything I have ever seen. The detail and flow some scenes had was absolutely riveting in a way you really wouldn't expect from two people punching each other.
Have you seen them before? They're all utterly fantastic.

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2014, 06:37:42 am »

I'd unfortunately agree with that there are no good horror movies - almost. I liked "High tension" (haute tension) quite a bit.

I also have trouble finding comedy that is funny and at the same time NOT stupid/shallow...
An example would be "The Dinner Game" ("Le dīner de cons")

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2014, 10:08:43 am »

There are good horror movies out there (Jacob's Ladder for example... Tremors as well but that movie isn't scary... Ginger Snaps... American Werewolf in London though not for being scary... SEVERAL Are you Afraid of the Dark Episodes... I still think the first two Alien movies were good)

But Horror is in the same situation as Romantic Comedies in that the vast majority of them are just such garbage that it is hard to find any good ones... to the extent that many people believe good ones just don't exist.

Also you are missing the larger issue with horror movies... and it isn't their gore fascination. It is that most horror movies try to outright make you hate the characters in the movie so you can revel in their destruction.

The vast majority of horror movies are extremely formulaic.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 10:30:50 am by Neonivek »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2014, 11:39:42 am »

I also have trouble finding comedy that is funny and at the same time NOT stupid/shallow...
An example would be "The Dinner Game" ("Le dīner de cons")

I love that movie. The ending is amazing

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2014, 12:23:35 pm »

Finished watching old boy not that long ago (Korean, not spike lee) and boy if you don't know spoilers it's great
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Pranz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2014, 12:39:42 pm »

Ong-Bak

This reminded me of Oldboy, so I will go ahead and recommend it. For someone who doesn't like fight scenes all that much this movie has one of the best ones in my opinion, but not because of the skills displayed but the directing of the scene.
DF Valentine
I punched a hamsterwoman in the mouth and her teeth exploded out of his head like gory shrapnel and littered the ground. Happy Valentines Day.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #149 on: June 08, 2014, 04:18:43 pm »

Ong-Bak

This reminded me of Oldboy, so I will go ahead and recommend it. For someone who doesn't like fight scenes all that much this movie has one of the best ones in my opinion, but not because of the skills displayed but the directing of the scene.
Yeah Oldboy did have that one great fight scene.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 96