Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132221 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2014, 03:21:29 am »

I'm gonna recommend Chicago, for it's absolutely wonderful 20's vibe, and amazing musical numbers. Also, Joss Whedon's Much Ado. It's a great, great adaptation of the play.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2014, 03:29:01 am »

I'm gonna recommend Chicago, for it's absolutely wonderful 20's vibe, and amazing musical numbers. Also, Joss Whedon's Much Ado. It's a great, great adaptation of the play.

Oh, Chicago, I need to rewatch it. Good movie.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2014, 03:58:40 am »

I don't go to many forums other than this, so I'm afraid I can't suggest a good movie thread :P

Jokes aside, Les Intouchables (or Untouchables because America and French don't mix) is a really good movie. Touching and funny at the same time. A black man from the ghettos of Paris gets offered a job as caretaker for a paralyzed rich white man after a rather unorthodox solicitation, and they become good friends.

And Pulp Fiction, but that's a given. I didn't actually like it that much when I first saw it, but the genius of the movie slowly seeped into my mind afterwards. It's a bit like abstract art, I guess. Once you "get" it...

As far as that's concerned, anything Tarantino, but that's a given too :P
Inglorious Bastards is one of my other favorites.
Hans Landa is one of the scariest movie characters ever. And I could listen to an entire film worth of Tom Cruise trying to speak Italian.

Oh, and Limitless. Probably one of the best action movies of recent times. A failed writer gets offered pills that increase his mental capacities a hundredfold, but they are addictive and he doesn't know where to get more.

Nobody has mentioned Moon yet, which is my WTF of the day. Moon is literally the best sci-fi movie of the past few years and you should watch it. Don't look up anything about it. It's about a man who's alone (except for a somewhat adorable robot companion) on the moon to keep an eye on Helium 3 harvesters for fusion reactors back home. His three year contract is almost over, after which he can go back home to his wife and baby daughter.
Naturally, not everything goes to plan.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 04:18:46 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2014, 04:33:57 am »

Tom Cruise isn't in Inglourious Bastards.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2014, 04:57:19 am »

I ment Brad Pitt, my bad.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2014, 05:02:10 am »

I ment Brad Pitt, my bad.
My nitpick aside, yeah that part near the ending is pretty hilarious. c: I was disappointed at first because I was expecting more gratuitous Nazi killin', but the scenes are all very compelling.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2014, 11:11:07 am »

I tried watching that movie, but it just made me feel so bad for the Nazis :x

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2014, 11:54:09 am »

#1 on my list always as a movie recommendation is Mind Game.  It's one of my favorite movies.  Very unique in style and the most life-affirming/motivational film I've ever seen.  An incredible emotional journey.  But I don't know anyone else who has ever seen it.  Received much critical acclaim, but almost zero exposure outside of Japan.  You're not going to find it for rent or sale, so I wouldn't feel bad about resorting to other means.

I'm also a fan of creepy asian horror.  I cannot stand western horror that's all based on jump scares and special effects.  #1 on my list there is Ju-On.  Also Audition.

Not going to bother cluttering the thread with stuff that's well-known.

50 First Dates (YES, even though it has Adam Sandler of all charisma-sucking black holes in it)

But I will second this one.  It surprised me.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:03:22 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2014, 12:20:09 pm »

#1 on my list always as a movie recommendation is Mind Game.  It's one of my favorite movies.  Very unique in style and the most life-affirming/motivational film I've ever seen.  An incredible emotional journey.  But I don't know anyone else who has ever seen it.  Received much critical acclaim, but almost zero exposure outside of Japan.  You're not going to find it for rent or sale, so I wouldn't feel bad about resorting to other means.
Yeah, I've seen it alright. I'm pretty sure there was some talk about it in the anime thread back when.
Anyway, how emotional an emotion-evoking film feels is more often than not a function of what is going on in one's life when he sees it. So while I appreciated it on many levels, it certainly didn't leave me speechless.

And come on, four reviews on RT is hardly "much critical acclaim". :P

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2014, 12:38:50 pm »

Yeah, I've seen it alright. I'm pretty sure there was some talk about it in the anime thread back when.
Anyway, how emotional an emotion-evoking film feels is more often than not a function of what is going on in one's life when he sees it. So while I appreciated it on many levels, it certainly didn't leave me speechless.

And come on, four reviews on RT is hardly "much critical acclaim". :P

Well... I didn't want to link the Wiki page due to spoilers.  And I didn't see that there were so few reviews on RT... just that it had a really high rating.

Note: It beat Miyazaki in the animation category at the Japan Media Arts Festival.  That seems pretty impressive to me, considering how much weight reputation can have at events like that, and Miyazaki is very highly respected in Japan.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2014, 12:40:50 pm »

I'd watch it, but I feel like me not doing drugs would hamper my ability to properly experience the movie.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2014, 12:44:44 pm »

I'd watch it, but I feel like me not doing drugs would hamper my ability to properly experience the movie.

The collage of animation styles makes it quite bizarre, but the trailer seems to focus on the most psychedelic bits.  There are only 3 scenes in the film that are really acid trippy, but those scenes seem to make up 80% of the trailer.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2014, 05:16:16 pm »

I saw Mind Game... To be honest it didn't really do much for me, even though I love the surreal/psychedelic stuff in general.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2014, 10:48:48 pm »

Also to any horror fan (or fan of a good movie really), Cabin in the woods. Just watch it, don't read up on it, don't research it, don't ask people about it, just watch it, a fresh watching is mindblowingly fun and awesome, trust me on this one.

Have to disagree on just the point of no preparation being required. The first two acts will seem quite generic and unfunny if you haven't seen the first Evil Dead (both are on Netflix), so while you may still get a good payoff by the third act, most of it probably won't seem very good. Still a good/great movie, and aside from that, yeah, avoid all spoilers.

I've got one question before I decide to watch any "horror" movie. Is it actually a horror movie, or is it a gore-fest? I don't mind movies which are scary (The Others is a good one) but I have a serious problem with gore unless it's intentionally so cartoonish as to be funny (like Evil Dead). If it looks at all realistic, I'm out.

Yeah, I agree. Fear is a cool mechanic that can be used well in a movie, but movies that just abuse gore, jump scares, and abrupt sound cues feel like a waste of time to me if there isn't some other substance. For this reason most horror films I like are more like suspense movies than straight horror, which is how I'd describe something like Pontypool, which uses some gore and horror but largely relies on suspense. Evil Dead I think was trying to be a straight horror film more or less (though they definitely went crazy into humor with the sequels), but I found it pretty enjoyable as such.

Maybe Evil Dead specifically isn't needed to enjoy Cabin in the Woods, it's just the most directly related and gets some specific references. You could probably get the same effect even from something like Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (since they share the same origin in Evil Dead), or just a wide base of the somewhat formulaic teenage horror movies that get churned out every year.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2014, 11:19:21 pm »

movies that just abuse gore, jump scares, and abrupt sound cues
Unfortunately, this is at least 90% of "horror" movies out there. Zombie films that are more like action movies, slasher films that actually turn out to be dark comedies... I've just gotten tired of the whole genre, because it's so difficult to find a movie that actually inspires horror. Laughing at the creative ways some psychopath finds to murder some dumb teenagers is not horror. Instinctively flinching when a loud noise plays is not horror.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 96