Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132277 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2014, 06:02:58 pm »

Also to any horror fan (or fan of a good movie really), Cabin in the woods. Just watch it, don't read up on it, don't research it, don't ask people about it, just watch it, a fresh watching is mindblowingly fun and awesome, trust me on this one.

YES YES YES.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2014, 06:03:26 pm »

Anyways, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (one of Carrey's best roles imho)

Also to any horror fan (or fan of a good movie really), Cabin in the woods. Just watch it, don't read up on it, don't research it, don't ask people about it, just watch it, a fresh watching is mindblowingly fun and awesome, trust me on this one.
Seconded.

Seconded.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2014, 06:04:31 pm »

Well, I guess I'll have to watch it then.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2014, 06:23:50 pm »

Romantic comedies? I don't know. I like to pitch Annie Hall (and Woody Allen in general to a lesser degree) as one of the good ones but I guess it's not really a romcom. Even if there's lots of romance and I laugh at it.
I do like this one Korean film that got made in the early 2000's. It got an american remake called My Sassy Girl a few years back. I thought it was quite good -the original I mean-, but it's a teen romance so it's definitely not for all tastes. It was one of those plots where you have a shutin boy and a wild girl and then they get together and plotplotplot. Doesn't sound like much when described but I really liked it.

And in the vein of "not great" romantic/comedic films that Il Palazzo mentioned, there's I'm a Cyborg, But That's Ok. It's a romcom set in a cheery mental asylum. Pretty fun/cute/wierd little film if you're into that sort of stuff. Another which is pretty entertaining is Citizen Dog. I'd describe CD in particular as Amelie that's not quite as conventional.

And veering towards the funny/bad film territory, there's Tears of the Black Tiger. It's a western with a neat... I guess 50's aesthetic? It has some good action and hammy acting. Very entertaining if you're into its particular style of execution.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2014, 07:27:41 pm »

The best way I can describe a Romantic Comedy is as such

Imagine a Situational Comedy where the Situation involved was a Romance.

When Harry Met Sally for example is a Romantic Comedy, The Wedding Singer is a Romantic Comedy, and The Holiday is a romantic comedy (sort of...), 50 first dates is a romantic comedy, Good Luck Chuck is a romantic comedy (a TERRIBLE ONE!)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 07:40:47 pm by Neonivek »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2014, 08:12:18 pm »

What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2014, 09:42:54 pm »

Have to disagree on just the point of no preparation being required. The first two acts will seem quite generic and unfunny if you haven't seen the first Evil Dead (both are on Netflix), so while you may still get a good payoff by the third act, most of it probably won't seem very good. Still a good/great movie, and aside from that, yeah, avoid all spoilers.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2014, 12:36:16 am »

So based on a previous recommendation, I watched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

I liked it, but man that was a weird movie.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2014, 12:40:23 am »

So based on a previous recommendation, I watched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

It's pretty great. Apparently the manga is even better.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2014, 01:04:52 am »

It's pretty great. Apparently the manga is even better.
Not much of a manga person but...

Damnit, Dark Souls has a strangely infectious quality upon the mind. I am reminded of it everywhere I look. After seeing Nausicaa, I think I know where the inspiration for Ash Lake comes from.

Also, cool airships are cool. Par for the course for Miyazaki, but I love them every time. Cool giant psychic pillbugs are cool too, if trippy.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2014, 02:48:09 am »

Have to disagree on just the point of no preparation being required. The first two acts will seem quite generic and unfunny if you haven't seen the first Evil Dead (both are on Netflix), so while you may still get a good payoff by the third act, most of it probably won't seem very good. Still a good/great movie, and aside from that, yeah, avoid all spoilers.

I've got one question before I decide to watch any "horror" movie. Is it actually a horror movie, or is it a gore-fest? I don't mind movies which are scary (The Others is a good one) but I have a serious problem with gore unless it's intentionally so cartoonish as to be funny (like Evil Dead). If it looks at all realistic, I'm out.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2014, 02:51:01 am »

I don't remember, so probably not.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2014, 03:03:09 am »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:28:46 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2014, 03:05:44 am »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:28:44 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2014, 03:12:58 am »

Grand Budapest Hotel - humor
Gladiator - drama/high tragedy
Shawshank Redemption - friendship, close as I'm getting to a rom-com
Recent Les Mis movie
25-year-anniversary ver. of Phantom of the Opera
Sleepless in Seattle