Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132276 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2014, 03:49:38 am »

There are no good romantic comedies. I don't have as strong feelings as you do about them, but I definitely don't like watching them. :p

EDIT: Well, I did like Mamma Mia, but only because it was entertaining seeing Pierce Brosnan in a such a tame role after watching him slaughter bad guys in all of his 007 films.

Barfi! - Bollywood film, no big dance sequences, funny, good story, interesting characters
Coraline - "family" type film based on Neil Gaiman's novel, cool animation, good dark/funny combo, excellent cat character
Himmel Uber Berlin (Wings of Desire is the English title) - German surreal film, starts out slow but give it time, you'll get into it
Kuky se Vraci (Kooky is the English title) - Czech stop-motion film about a teddy bear trying to get home, my favorite Czech film
Abre Los Ojos (Open Your Eyes in English) - another surreal film, quite dark
Otesanek - another Czech film, this one is considered a dark comedy by Czech people but I consider it closer to horror
The Secret of Kells - Irish film, really beautiful animation
Indie Game the Movie - documentary about indie game developers and the insanity that is their lives
The Man Who Planted Trees - short film, amazing watercolor animation
Paprika - anime film that Inception's concept was stolen from
I have seen none of those, and only heard of Coraline.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 03:52:50 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2014, 03:56:45 am »

I have seen none of those, and only heard of Coraline.

Sounds like you have some films to watch, then. ; )

I can't say I know of any good romantic comedies. I've seen quite a few, but they're just too formulaic to hold my interest. I prefer less predictable plots.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2014, 03:57:46 am »

The Holiday is a nice Romantic Comedy (which I KEEP calling "The Vacation")

But I need more then 3 good Romantic Comedies... of which I don't even like all three of them.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 04:06:07 am by Neonivek »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2014, 04:52:19 am »

How would you define romantic comedy anyway? In my mind it includes being dreary, so a good rom com is an oxymoron.

Himmel Uber Berlin (Wings of Desire is the English title) - German surreal film, starts out slow but give it time, you'll get into it
It's worth noting that the second one has been remade by the soulless Hollywood industry into Vanilla Sky with Tom Cruise as the lead. With a predictably milquetoast result. Not a terrible film, certainly not a good one. It still has got Ms Cruz playing the love interest, so that's a plus.

The first one got remade into City of Angels, with Nick Cage and Meg Ryan. The remake is veeeeeeeery looooooose though. Basically, they took the surreal, introspectivelly poetic original and tried to go the "Romantic comedy with Meg Ryan"[TM] way, ending up in some odd no-man's land in between.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2014, 04:55:40 am »

It's worth noting that the second one has been remade by the soulless Hollywood industry into Vanilla Sky with Tom Cruise as the lead. With a predictably milquetoast result. Not a terrible film, certainly not a good one. It still has got Ms Cruz playing the love interest, so that's a plus.

The first one got remade into City of Angels, with Nick Cage and Meg Ryan. The remake is veeeeeeeery looooooose though. Basically, they took the surreal, introspectivelly poetic original and tried to go the "Romantic comedy with Meg Ryan"[TM] way, ending up in some odd no-man's land in between.
Aw, I like Vanilla Sky! D: I didn't know it was a remake though. Open Your Eyes is the original?

I despise Nick Cage.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2014, 05:05:03 am »

I despise Nick Cage.
You take that back, he is the greatest actor of our generation. :P

But seriously, I can't bring myself to dislike Nic Cage. The thing about Nicolas Cage is, he's actually 2 different actors. There's serious Nic Cage, his bleh, mediocre side. But then there's... this Nic Cage. The man is a misunderstood comedic genius.

But you said you hate camp, so eh. It's an acquired taste.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2014, 07:46:02 am »

If you ask me, "campy" is how people who like bad movies describe bad movies they like but don't want to admit they like bad movies.

Also

Coraline
That movie freaked the shit out of everybody but me, as it would seem.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2014, 08:32:49 am »

Cloud Atlas. Hard to understand, but that Scottish-pub scene still makes me laugh.

Also, no to romantic comedies. I prefer Last of the Summer Wine stuff. That's very witty and funny at times.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2014, 02:13:49 pm »

Adam's Apples

Danish movie. First time I literally laughed myself to tears via a movie.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2014, 04:01:08 pm »

Yeah, I don't really know how 'romantic comedy' is defined, either.
If it's a comedy based solely around boring-ass romance, sure it's going to be boring- but what about comedies which happen to have romance in them, amongst other things? Safety Not Guaranteed (which I recommended earlier and you totally need to watch) is a good example.

Re: Coraline, pretty sure that movie gave most of the annoying little brats in my family my young relatives nightmares.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2014, 04:12:22 pm »

I'm re-watching Coraline now. It's definitely darker than I remember. Probably not great for little kids. More geared towards teenagers and up. It's good, though. The book is really good, too.

EDIT: Yup, just finished the film, and I can easily see how that would terrify the shit out of some little kids. I maintain that the cat is excellent, though. Gaiman really knows how to write a cat.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 04:34:41 pm by Sappho »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2014, 05:11:07 pm »

Yeah, I don't really know how 'romantic comedy' is defined, either.
If it's a comedy based solely around boring-ass romance, sure it's going to be boring- but what about comedies which happen to have romance in them, amongst other things? Safety Not Guaranteed (which I recommended earlier and you totally need to watch) is a good example.
Alright, I can work with that definition.

Let's see:
Chungking Express - One of the more cheerful(the most cheerful?) of Wong Kar-Wai's movies. There's actually two practically separate stories in there, about some random people's romantic affairs in one of Hong-Kong's huge apartment blocks. It's very kinetic, doesn't whitewash over the cramped, often dreary setting, nor over human foibles and quirks. It's somehow super cute without being even a tiny bit saccharine. It'll leave you feeling good.

Girl on the Bridge - About a suicidal nymphomaniac and a down-on-the-luck knifethrower. It's French, it's black and white, it's both artsy and shallow, probably intentionally. It doesn't take itself seriously, and it makes you empathise with the fucked up characters. It's not great, but it's different enough to make you feel like it's more than the sum of its parts(one of which is Vanessa Paradis' arse, if you're into that).

In July - A guy chases a woman to another country, with the help of another woman, for which he inevitably falls in the process. Predictable plot? Yes. What's fun about it is the execution, which - this being a road trip movie - takes the characters from Germany through some dodgy Balkan countryside and nightlife to Turkey. Often feels like one of Kusturica's films, if you've ever seen one.

Huh, it's surprisingly hard to remember any great ones. Even of those three, only the first one is really great, the other two being just good.

You know what's fun? Weird films. Like "A Field in England". It's about an alchemist, his master, a bunch of 17-century soldiers, magic, magic mushrooms, and the power of friendship. It all happens on a field. In England.
It's sooo weird.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2014, 05:34:45 pm »

Ooohh. Watch Oldboy if you dig a good old fashioned action thriller. Good fights. Great acting. Mind-blowing ending.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2014, 05:43:25 pm »

I didn't like "A Field In England," actually. I expected to, but it just... didn't do much for me. Maybe my expectations were just too high.

Actually, I thought of a romantic comedy that I really liked. It's a Bollywood one: Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani. One of the highest-grossing Bollywood films ever, apparently. Very funny, lots of singing and dancing, good acting. "Feel-good" type of film, really. Always gives me energy to watch that one.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2014, 05:58:28 pm »

I've yet to see the Field but the one trailer I saw for it a while back got me quite interested in it, it just keeps slipping my mind :C

Also, as far as rom-coms go, I'm not a big fan myself, but you've gotta see some of the classics atleast, well, not sure if they're really classics but they're kinda oddballs in the genre, which I guess makes them so good.

Anyways, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (one of Carrey's best roles imho), Amelie, 500 Days of Summer I guess, and yeah, I think that's mostly it.

Also to any horror fan (or fan of a good movie really), Cabin in the woods. Just watch it, don't read up on it, don't research it, don't ask people about it, just watch it, a fresh watching is mindblowingly fun and awesome, trust me on this one.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 96