Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132275 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Recommend a movie thread!
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2014, 12:55:26 am »

I love this thread. I watch all the movies. ALL OF THEM. Except the bad ones. I don't like campy, cheesy stuff. Makes me sick. >:c

Wild Geese is a fantastic movie about mercenaries. Rediscovered it just today while watching some 007 flicks. God those older ones are so cheesy.
This one's pretty great. Suffers from standard mook syndrome, but definitely good overall.

That reminds me. Forbidden Planet is an excellent ancient movie. Supposedly it helped inspire Star Trek, which isn't hard to believe. If you like original Star Trek, you'll probably like Forbidden Planet.

Speaking of ancient space films, Galaxy of Terror gets my vote as well. If you couldn't tell from the name, it's a bit, erm... well, it's a horror movie, among other things, but one that I'd say is pretty well-written and interesting.
I have to disagree.

*writes down name*

I am watching that as we speak. Will return with verdict. *runs away*

---

Watch The Raid. Best new action movie, with pants-shittingly awesome action. Gunfighting and knifefighting and people getting smashed on things and punched. It's begin to end nonstop fighting. No gore which makes me happy, but there is still killing, which I'm fine with. There's a second one which I've heard is just as good, but I haven't seen it and I don't vouch for it.

Speaking of horror, everyone ought to watch The Thing, with Kurt Russel. Watch the older one first if at all possible though it isn't necessary, as there was a prologue-sequel of the same name made a couple years back which is also very good. They're not connected narratively, I just think they're better viewed in that order.

I recommend War of the Arrows and Little Big Soldier for some traditional fighting action and a good story.

On to kung-fu: Ip-Man is the fantastic true story (with wire fighting, but deal with it the whole thing looks great) of Bruce Lee's master back when the Japanese occupied China. Very good movie. There is also a sequel, Ip-Man 2, which you should read nor hear nothing about until you've seen the first one. The lead, who plays the titular character, Donnie Yen, is also in some other fantastic movies and he's worth checking out. There is also a third film, which I think is a prequel, and does not star Donnie Yen. I do not vouch for that one.

Anything with Jackie Chan barring his American movies (though the fighting is very good in Rush Hour 1/2 and Shangai Noon 1, I don't much like the story in any of them at all) is amazing: Operation Condor 1/2, Project A/A2, Shinjuku Incident, Gorgeous, DRUNKEN MASTER, Legend of the Drunken Master, First Strike, and Who am I? which also has one of my favorite fight scenes of all time. God damn does Jackie Chan put on some kick ass performances in all of these.

ALL of the Ong-Bak movies are fucking epic, though it's been a long time since I've seen them. Watch them all.

All the above barring The Thing are foreign movies so unless you're watching a Jackie Chan flick (which he's dubbed all of them himself) you're stuck with subs my friends. But if you're watching these you're here for the action.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2014, 01:59:28 am »

I have to disagree.

Ip-Man and Ong-Bak I recognize but don't believe I've seen. May have to correct that. Can second the original The Thing for being a very good horror movie.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2014, 02:21:07 am »

Speaking of horror, everyone ought to watch The Thing, with Kurt Russel.
This. One of the best horror movies I've ever seen.
Anything with Jackie Chan
Jackie Chan is criminally underrated in the US, probably because nowadays people know him best for Rush Hour and nothing else. He's like the Charlie Chaplain or Buster Keaton of kung-fu movies. I would strongly suggest checking out his whole filmography; guy's an amazing athlete and comedian.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2014, 02:24:51 am »

Jackie Chan is criminally underrated in the US, probably because nowadays people know him best for Rush Hour and nothing else.

It is because ALL his recent movies stink... and badly.

Heck they had a movie sold on the basis of "Jet Li versus Jackie Chan" and the movie still sucked... and it also cast badly.

Don't get me wrong, people know how great Jackie Chan can be... Even in his bad movies he often had such an energy that you can love the fights even if the movie itself is dull... but not recently... Recently even his fighting has taken a toll.

The last good thing to come from Jackie Chan if I remember correctly is Jackie Chan Adventures.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2014, 02:30:04 am »

@Gatleos The more he gets hurt in his movies, the better they are. In one, I think one of the Project A movies, he actually fractures his neck or something during a stunt where he falls from a couple stories up. Then finished the movie. o_o

He also fractured his skull during the Armour of God, and you can actually see him being taken away on a stretcher during the credits where they usually play the bloopers, a tradition in most of his films. I really respect him.

@Neonivek Only his American stuff.

Yeah, and it was awesome.

Wow you could spoil the entire movie with one three minute video, hah! :-D That's pretty impressive they actually wrote and sang that though. Very nice.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:40:07 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2014, 02:32:57 am »

Only his American stuff.

He did stuff after the Tuxedo that was good... outside America? (ignoring that I honestly consider the Tuxedo to be the definitive line of suckage where everything coming from Jackie Chan sucks)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2014, 02:35:05 am »

Jackie Chan is criminally underrated in the US, probably because nowadays people know him best for Rush Hour and nothing else.

It is because ALL his recent movies stink... and badly.

Heck they had a movie sold on the basis of "Jet Li versus Jackie Chan" and the movie still sucked... and it also cast badly.

Don't get me wrong, people know how great Jackie Chan can be... Even in his bad movies he often had such an energy that you can love the fights even if the movie itself is dull... but not recently... Recently even his fighting has taken a toll.

The last good thing to come from Jackie Chan if I remember correctly is Jackie Chan Adventures.
Oh yeah, he hasn't made a good movie in quite a long while. I guess I should have specified his older filmography. It's unfortunate, but the guy's just getting old. And his career was built on physical comedy.

@Gatleos The more he gets hurt in his movies, the better they are. In one, I think one of the Project A movies, he actually fractures his neck or something during a stunt where he falls from a couple stories up. Then finished the movie. o_o

He also fractured his skull during the Armour of God, and you can actually see him being taken away on a stretcher during the credits where they usually play the bloopers, a tradition in most of his films. I really respect him.
Yeah, he does his own stunts in a lot of places where lesser men would use a double or special effects. He's probably broken every bone in his body at some point.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2014, 02:45:55 am »

Only his American stuff.

He did stuff after the Tuxedo that was good... outside America? (ignoring that I honestly consider the Tuxedo to be the definitive line of suckage where everything coming from Jackie Chan sucks)
The Myth, Shinjuku Incident, and New Police Story are all great. CZ12 is only worth it for the action (Jackie also won two guinness world records with that film: most credits in one movie, and most stunts by a living actor). Compared to all his Chinese films, no he hasn't done much at all in America. Some of his worst films were in Hollywood, but his achievements far outweigh them.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:49:58 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2014, 02:56:34 am »

Yeah, and it was awesome

Welcome to the only good fight in what was otherwise a bad movie (as well IMO it is subpar for Jackie Chan). Though I cannot really identify the one reason why the movie was so bad... It wasn't painfully bad, it felt more like... it just couldn't be good.

But if I had to guess... Little Savior kid + Rushed plot + Not enough great fights + Neither Jackie nor Jet Li's signature style come out strong in this movie.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2014, 03:03:10 am »

Welcome to the only good fight in what was otherwise a bad movie (as well IMO it is subpar for Jackie Chan). Though I cannot really identify the one reason why the movie was so bad... It wasn't painfully bad, it felt more like... it just couldn't be good.

But if I had to guess... Little Savior kid + Rushed plot + Not enough great fights + Neither Jackie nor Jet Li's signature style come out strong in this movie.
No you're right, movie was bad, but was it worth it as an excuse to have Jet Li and Jackie Chan fight?
Spoiler: Answer (click to show/hide)

That's spot on.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2014, 03:10:49 am »

I will say Jackie Chan has had good American movies... quite a few of them.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2014, 03:15:12 am »

I will say Jackie Chan has had good American movies... quite a few of them.
Yep. I've seen all the Rush Hour and both Shanghai movies. They're all pretty good. Rush Hour 1 is my favorite, and Shanghai Noon has some memorable scenes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2014, 03:27:46 am »

I know many people won't agree with me...

but I STILL think the Tuxedo was a decent movie. Sure it was dumb, but I think it was entertainingly dumb.

Much more fun to watch then that Jackie Chan Versus Jet Li movie.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2014, 03:43:07 am »

Some good ones you might not have seen:
Barfi! - Bollywood film, no big dance sequences, funny, good story, interesting characters
Coraline - "family" type film based on Neil Gaiman's novel, cool animation, good dark/funny combo, excellent cat character
Himmel Uber Berlin (Wings of Desire is the English title) - German surreal film, starts out slow but give it time, you'll get into it
Kuky se Vraci (Kooky is the English title) - Czech stop-motion film about a teddy bear trying to get home, my favorite Czech film
Abre Los Ojos (Open Your Eyes in English) - another surreal film, quite dark
Otesanek - another Czech film, this one is considered a dark comedy by Czech people but I consider it closer to horror
The Secret of Kells - Irish film, really beautiful animation
Indie Game the Movie - documentary about indie game developers and the insanity that is their lives
The Man Who Planted Trees - short film, amazing watercolor animation
Paprika - anime film that Inception's concept was stolen from

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2014, 03:48:52 am »

Ok... here is a challenge I guess...

I am tired of always ragging on Romantic Comedies just because they are predominantly garbage and the few ones that manage to crawl from that pile of garbage are usually mediocre or basically an exploitation film. I need to pad out my exposure to this genre so I have some good ones to think of whenever people mention this genre.

I mean... Horror is in just as much of a trash heap as romantic comedies are AND I am a horror wimp... but I still could probably mention 10 good ones.

Does anyone know any GOOD, legitimately good, romantic comedies that aren't: The Wedding Singer OR When Harry Met Sally OR The Vacation (My favorite is "The Vacation", one of the few movies with Jack Black where I LIKE Jack Black)

Preferably where both characters are legitimate characters (As in, one isn't a wish fulfillment character or a blank slate)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 96