Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 131835 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1395 on: December 02, 2023, 02:18:13 am »

I've always preferred the hand drawn animation to the CGI shit fests that they make these days, I mean with some of these movies they use so much CGI I don't get why they use live actors when they could just make the entire thing CGI.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: December 03, 2023, 03:36:47 am »

Maybe they got burnt by the expensive alien ghosts..?  8)

(I remember seeing that, and was impressed. Clearly my patronage didn't quite scrape its income high enough to keep it out of the red, though. Haven't ever seen it on TV, or had any more recent opportunity to reappraise by more modern standards, so maybe it's... scratchy? Uncanny-valley? Something. And different from Monsters, Inc., with the perhaps more reliably forgiving "cartoon computer imagery", yet still famously having all that CGI fur! And Shrek. Which is... Well... Shrek. The original.  ...and these three all date to 2001, hence referencing them all against each other.)

Things do have their time, but pure-CGI tends to be use for a certain style of fictional worlds: The Incredibles. Cars. Bugs Life/Antz/Bee-Movie. Beowulf. Big Hero Six. Polar Express. Wall-E. Finding Nemo(/etc). The whole Toy Story thang, just to add to that list the lineage that probably inspired many of the rest of them... All 'photo unrealistic' (compared with even Luxo Jr., the two-minute short that made Pixar's name). And then there was that Tintin movie (deserved a sequel/series, IMO).

And then further played about with by increased and averted realism in the Spderman/Multiverse type of thing. Clearly far more accurate 3D modelling, but rendered/post-textured with 'cartoon/comic skin', dithered-halftoning effects and snap-cut exchange of filters as a 'practical effect' rather than a careless mouse-click on a toolbar. (I bet it's an expensive and time-consuming business to create a "does not look at all real" film like that, compared to something... 'softer' on the eye. Maybe even trying to go hyper-realistic isn't these days as complicated as aiming for this kind of 'hypo-realistic', it just depends upon the libraries of procedures you've inherited from the last big project, and whether Andy Serkis has some time free in his calendar.)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: December 15, 2023, 07:38:10 pm »

I recently watched the first and second parts of Miles Morales: Spider-Verse.

First part was certainly one of the more novel SpiderMan reboots, of which there have been many. Miles gets bitten by his radioactive spider just in time to replace the deceased Peter Parker, and a colorful array of Spiders Man arrive from across the multiverse to initiate him. Each of the different Spiders have their own unique and colorful aesthetic style, which clash and blend in some fun ways.

The second part turns the unique aesthetic styles up to 11, making the entire movie an absolutely stunning work of art. Beyond the aesthetics, the general composition of this movie is very well balanced, with exciting action scenes and intriguing story woven together fluidly so that nothing is ever too much or too little.

I had high expectations going in, but the second movie exceeded all of them. Really just a very enjoyable watch. Very much looking forward to the next part.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: December 17, 2023, 07:25:56 am »

just watched Dream Scenario, I thought it was pretty terrible — it didn’t have very much emotional power and just generally kind of wasted the really interesting premise, both in dialogue, which was stilted at times, and in plot, where the character does a bunch of things but then none of them really end up mattering
they’re supposed to be a tragic downfall brought on by extraordinary circumstances but they just kinda fade into irrelevance after they’re done happening, and then never really matter to anything again

only worth watching for Nic Cage acting something out of his usual sort of role pretty well and maybe a little decent horror, or if you delight in dollops of absolutely painful awkwardness
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: December 20, 2023, 08:48:22 pm »

...thought it was either here or the TV Shows thread where there was mention about the merger of 'studios', but can't find it. Perhaps it was in passing on another thread.
But, anyway, WB and Paramount look to be planning to merge-and-consolidate... Which could fold in a number of interesting properties into the same shop.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1400 on: December 21, 2023, 04:37:32 pm »

Godzilla Minus One - sick movie. Ridiculously emotional and amazing, scary version of Godzilla. Even when I predicted the ending the emotional payoff was felt deep in my soul. You could probably remove Godzilla from this movie and it would still be amazing. And Godzilla is amazing.

Spoiler: mega spoiler (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: December 22, 2023, 03:23:50 am »

As much as I've liked these most recent Godzilla movies I wish they'd focus on Godzilla more than the people.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: December 23, 2023, 07:29:13 am »

Kermode was raving about this one, and that's usually a good sign. But he does have some blind spots too, imo.
Are the actors any good? I'm reminded of Shin Godzilla, with its most excellent monster design and interesting concept (sort of Kaiju vs bureaucracy), made nearly unwatchable by the wooden, affected acting.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1403 on: December 24, 2023, 06:31:23 am »

I'm normally someone who wishes they cut 99% of the human scenes from the godzilla movies and it was just 45 minutes of kaiju explosions with occasional ken watanabe ruminating. But this one was a rare exception. I didn't expect to actually care about the humans in a godzilla movie

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: December 24, 2023, 11:38:02 am »

I'm going to the theatre Tuesday for the first time in years to see Godzilla Minus One thanks to you guys!
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: December 27, 2023, 05:32:54 am »

Kermode was raving about this one, and that's usually a good sign. But he does have some blind spots too, imo.
Are the actors any good? I'm reminded of Shin Godzilla, with its most excellent monster design and interesting concept (sort of Kaiju vs bureaucracy), made nearly unwatchable by the wooden, affected acting.
Were you watching a dub because wooden acting is the plague of all dubs.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: December 27, 2023, 09:02:48 am »

I'm going to the theatre Tuesday for the first time in years to see Godzilla Minus One thanks to you guys!
The movie was pretty good, although the human story was actually the highlight of it for me. The monster was a bit over-done with CGI with the tail & back spikes popping out unrealistically before his heat breath, and his insta-healing from large naval gunfire was silly. The characters were well developed and their stories were better than I expected.

I continue to be disappointed in moviegoers, as expected, with their self-absorbed lack of consideration for anyone else.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: December 27, 2023, 10:27:23 am »

Nah, subtitled. There's actually a few tiers of terribad performances in there, as at times the Japanese speak English, and there's a few scenes with American actors (or at least white, hard to tell their provenance through layers of badly written and clunkily delivered dialogue).

Still, the monster is absolutely fantastic. Weird and alien and disturbing. I'd recommend to anyone checking the monster scenes on YouTube. Just ignore the actual film.

I continue to be disappointed in moviegoers, as expected, with their self-absorbed lack of consideration for anyone else.
Ah, the quintessential moviegoing experience.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1408 on: December 27, 2023, 07:30:14 pm »

The movie was pretty good, although the human story was actually the highlight of it for me. The monster was a bit over-done with CGI with the tail & back spikes popping out unrealistically before his heat breath, and his insta-healing from large naval gunfire was silly. The characters were well developed and their stories were better than I expected.
Lol one of my friends said you shouldn't look too hard at godzilla because once you notice them reusing the walk animation it becomes impossible to ignore. But yeah I was pleasantly surprised by how attached I was to the human characters and I still loved the godzilla nonetheless, especially with the original OST

I have witnessed

People using the toilets

To film tiktoks

Why

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: December 28, 2023, 03:41:06 am »

Nah, subtitled. There's actually a few tiers of terribad performances in there, as at times the Japanese speak English, and there's a few scenes with American actors (or at least white, hard to tell their provenance through layers of badly written and clunkily delivered dialogue).

Still, the monster is absolutely fantastic. Weird and alien and disturbing. I'd recommend to anyone checking the monster scenes on YouTube. Just ignore the actual film.
I've never really thought that the acting was that bad, but then again the acting has to be really shit for me to even notice.

Also I do agree that the monster is fantastic and so are all the sets in those portions of the movies, the practical affects and miniature sets they use in the older movies will always look better than the CGI they use these days.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96