Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709]

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1287955 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #10620 on: May 07, 2024, 11:55:26 pm »

I beat the Final Horizon free DLC for Sonic Frontiers, effectively meaning I merely beat the game and got the true ending.

Spoiler: Rant (click to show/hide)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10621 on: May 08, 2024, 01:06:16 pm »

Semi-related, I'm over parrying mechanics. Feels like every game has them now, and when whole bosses are built off of parrying, it feels like it's missed the point of the mechanic. Parries are supposed to be high-risk, high-reward. Not "you must do this or you lose." I just watched some indie game showcase where parrying was a core mechanic. Like, you get a shield to parry with before you even get a permanent weapon, and parrying does damage to the enemy. It instantly killed my interest in the game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TurboDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pangolins are kind of dwarfy, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10622 on: May 08, 2024, 01:20:18 pm »

parrying existing is the reason why I play wizards in souls games. I can't hit parries, i always do them too early. Sometimes i dip my toes into melee play and get humbled though lol.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10623 on: May 08, 2024, 01:59:49 pm »

Parries basically aren't necessary in any souls game, especially because there's a ton of attacks you just can't parry at all. Enemy has to be a humanoid attacking you with a weapon in melee, which doesn't actually happen that often. Not all that many bosses apply, and the little human guys who you can parry, you can also just... stunlock em and kill em.

I much prefer the parry mechanic in Sekiro. If you do it too early you just get a normal block. In that game you probably can't beat it without learning how to deflect, but there's also room for not being perfect at it.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10624 on: May 08, 2024, 02:42:33 pm »

Yeah, Sekiro getting away from the whole concept of "critical attacks" and just moving to posture, and changing parrying to go along with that, is probably the best iteration of the system to date.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

TurboDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pangolins are kind of dwarfy, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10625 on: May 09, 2024, 01:25:34 am »

I've been meaning to play Sekiro for a long time, but have never got around to it. I just don't have a ton of free time anymore, sadly.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10626 on: May 09, 2024, 02:12:35 am »

parrying existing is the reason why I play wizards in souls games. I can't hit parries, i always do them too early. Sometimes i dip my toes into melee play and get humbled though lol.
As the others have said parries are very much not needed for melee runs in any of the soulslikes aside from Sekiro. Honestly parrying is kind of a trap since you need to get the timing perfect compared to blocking (no timing window) or dodging (much more generous timing window).
As someone that also sucks at parrying I have beaten all the games with melee chars, dodging/blocking is more than enough.
As someone who has also beaten all the soulslikes with magic (sans blood-borne) melee is generally substantially easier than magic.
I've been meaning to play Sekiro for a long time, but have never got around to it. I just don't have a ton of free time anymore, sadly.
The game is a masterpiece. If you like soulslikes its certainly worth a try when you have some time for games.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10627 on: May 10, 2024, 07:47:03 pm »

Completed an imaginary scenario, "Imperial attack on rebel Clone holdout". After many attempts across several days.

That's me, wearing full Stormtrooper armor, wielding an E-11 blaster, and a pack of thermal detonators. Plus a vanilla basic knife, which I always have on me. Magic was forbidden, obviously, I'm not a Jedi(that run* was in fact just as hard). Outpost map was set to Clone Troops to spawn.

This one is especially hard because the E-11 is basically the worst blaster ever. Poor accuracy, poor damage, and poor fire rate. The Clones' pistol is a better weapon.

Nearly lost at the midpoint room, which happened to be the Farm/Smithy area. Immediately on my left was a Shield Trooper(carries a big riot shield). Whiffed multiple attempts at stabbing his throat. Finally got him, but two of his buddies, Clone Troopers with rifles, were approaching me from behind. I tried to grab the shield, but couldn't reach it, so I ran at one of the troopers, grabbing his gun and shot him in the face with mine. I didn't have time(nor inclination) to try to get my hand on the trigger of the rifle, so I used it as a shield while firing my E-11... which worked far better than it had any right to(like, better than a lightsaber). The last guy was camping in the smithy, so I kicked him into the spot below the mill-hammer, and dropped a thermal detonator. Almost died because the door jammed when I tried to leave.

Got to the finale, which was the one with one exit. That battle was me staying up at the top of the wall, dropping grenades below and ambushing anyone who made it up the stairs. At the end of it, I grabbed a fallen riot shield, charged down and finished all the remaining Clone Troopers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10628 on: May 12, 2024, 04:03:48 pm »

I miss precision games like 3d ninja guidan.  You could get away with not know exactly how to perfect parry every time on normal, by chugging down all your healing, but the game expected you to learn the bosses and play well

Thats probably a lot of nostalgia goggles, but before games expected you to parry everything, there were games that were built on having a finely tuned sense for the game.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10629 on: May 14, 2024, 01:31:25 pm »

My last memory of Ninja Gaiden 3d was it autosaving me in the middle of a boss fight with zero heals left.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10630 on: May 15, 2024, 04:37:20 pm »

First time I played this game, Marcy kicked my ass. Several times. This time though, she got hit in the face with several fireballs(her weakness). She tried to heal, but that was undone and then some by a magic wand being teleported into her intestines. She ganked Guile right after, but another couple of hits finished her right after.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10631 on: May 16, 2024, 09:38:15 pm »

Got the "That's How It's Played" cheevo in Theseus Protocol.

... for reference, TP is a slay the spire style deck builder. You get the cheevo when you win a run without playing any cards :V

Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709]