Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me select a GPU upgrade to play Baldur's Gate 3  (Read 2335 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Help me select a GPU upgrade to play Baldur's Gate 3
« on: January 26, 2024, 08:00:27 pm »

Hello! Thanks for checking this. I've been very interested in playing Baldur's Gate 3, but I balked at the system requirements. I think I can handle it for the most part, except that my graphics card is kind of a brick. If you would, please take a look at my specs, at BG3's specs, and recommend to me what I should get to run it without costing too much. Mainly, I want to know if I will need to change my motherboard to get a video card capable of running this beast. I'm not good about computer hardware.

My budget is around $300.

I will not be playing multiplayer of any kind. I'm not planning to stream gameplay. I don't need super high-quality graphics with bumpmapped water and wavy grass or anything like that; just "good enough" is fine with me, so long as faces don't turn out like wax dolls, etc. etc.

My specs

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Z170-HD3P
Processor: Intel Core i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM (DDR5)
DirectX 12
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 360 Series (18385 MB 2 GB total memory)

BG3 requirements (minimum)

Processor: Intel IT 4690 / AMD FX 8350
RAM: 8 GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 / RX 480 (4GB+ of VRAM)

BG3 requirements (recommended)

Processor: Intel i7 8700K / AMD r5 3600
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Nvidia 2060 Super / RX 5700 XT (8GB+ of VRAM)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 10:06:34 pm by Xvareon »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Help me select a GPU upgrade to play Baldur's Gate 3
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 02:44:36 am »

Changing the motherboard today, will mean that you'll have to get a new cpu as well but I don't think that is necessary.

Your CPU is better than the minimum requirements, so your CPU should be good enough.

For graphics, you motherboard supports PCe 3 which is adequate for the game (judging from the gtx 970 min requirment). AFAIK PCe 4 is backwards compatible with PCe3 so I think any GPU from 2015 and newer should be compatible. With that in mind I think your motherboard is still good enough.

About choosing a specific GPU , you'll have to take a few more things into consideration which we can't really help you with.

1) Does your case have the necessary space for the bigger GPUs or should you look for a low profile one?
2) What kind of connection does your monitor have? HDMI? DisplayPort?

With those two and the recommended requirements you should be able to somewhat narrow down your choice for GPU, and after that you'll have to consider the power supply, which might also narrow down your choices.

3) Can your power supply, supply enough power for your new GPU? Does it have the necessary connectors if the GPUs you are looking for need external power?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 06:23:56 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 09:30:15 am »

You should go to the pc parts shop that is down down down by the river
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 12:37:51 pm »

But be wary of buying hardware from singing maidens by a river.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 07:58:01 pm »

Changing the motherboard today, will mean that you'll have to get a new cpu as well but I don't think that is necessary.

Your CPU is better than the minimum requirements, so your CPU should be good enough.

For graphics, you motherboard supports PCe 3 which is adequate for the game (judging from the gtx 970 min requirment). AFAIK PCe 4 is backwards compatible with PCe3 so I think any GPU from 2015 and newer should be compatible. With that in mind I think your motherboard is still good enough.

About choosing a specific GPU , you'll have to take a few more things into consideration which we can't really help you with.

1) Does your case have the necessary space for the bigger GPUs or should you look for a low profile one?
2) What kind of connection does your monitor have? HDMI? DisplayPort?

With those two and the recommended requirements you should be able to somewhat narrow down your choice for GPU, and after that you'll have to consider the power supply, which might also narrow down your choices.

3) Can your power supply, supply enough power for your new GPU? Does it have the necessary connectors if the GPUs you are looking for need external power?
Thank you for these insights! I'm using a simple 15-pin cable, but I can probably find HDMI easy enough. Thanks for reminding me that was a thing. I'll keep an eye open for a GPU that can still fit with my current board, if at all possible.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 10:46:07 am »

This is not the worst moment for a small upgrade like this. I sometimes browse deals just out of boredom.

GPU: AMD Radeon R7 360 Series (18385 MB total memory)

That VRAM statement has me very confused.

First of all, are you absolutely sure it doesn't run on your current system, here is the thing, if you are going to play the game anyway, and you are willing to upgrade too. Well you might as well just buy the game and check and see, you know? But sure it would be a pretty degraded experience presumably looking by the recommended specs.

The thing with the pcie generations is very true, something to keep an eye out on when it comes to low end cards release since 2022'ish.

If I were you I would try to stick to something with very comporable power draw to your old GPU, your power supply is old, and allthough this is just anecdotal evidence, I've seen two old systems die (mainboard went out in both cases) some time after upgrading gpu+psu, and these are like the only desktop computers I've ever seen die under my supervision.

I'm going to go with european prices (mostly german prices)... If you're in the states you should be able to find even better deals, I think. I shall avoid intel gpu's for the reason that, going by your current specs, I presume you play a fair amount of older direct x9 titles, and intel deals with these through a "translation layer", the support for these games is less optimal when compared to nvidia and amd. One further note... Since you are on skylake (the last intel CPU generation to support windows7) you might be running/want to dualboot w7; in that case your support ends at the nvidia rtx2000 series and the amd rx5000 series.

Ok what can you actually buy new. Weird thing some lower end cards reappeared on the market that weren't exactly available during the corona/mining craze price hikes.

Rx560 --- 75watt
Rx570 --- 150watt

They do not constitute a big upgrade for your, but they are probably the cheapest (unused) cards you will be able to find, and they do fall within minimum specs, but don't quite make it to recommended.

https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/6854717_-radeon-rx-5700-challenger-d-oc-8gb-gddr6-asrock.html

I don't know why this rx5700 was nowhere to be found two years ago, but this is a pretty ok deal. It does draw up to 180 watts though. Given who is selling it (3 aggregators in the style of amazon) I would not expect this offer to stay up super long. Also technically it's pcie 4.0 - but contrary to say a rx6400 it has the 16 lanes (x16), so it is much less of an issue.

On nvidia side:
gtx1650 -- 75watt these go around the price of that rx5700 offer tho you can find slightly cheaper, they don't pack the same oomph, but it's a neat card
gtx1660 -- 120watt still well below your stated budget, a little hard to justify given the deal above since it's a little slower
rtx2060 -- 160watt probably your cheapest buy-in into raytracing, dlss, superressolution and a bunch of other stuff that is cool, but that I wouldn't get to hung up about
rtx3050 -- 130watt honestly if you can find it below 300€, it's fine... fastest of the bunch, your problem is, that it's pcie 4.0 x8, that is really suboptimal

Same problem presumably goes for the whole rx6000 and rx7000 lineup, over at amd... Check in detail and you might be able to find something that is pcie4.0 x16 and below 300 bucks, but I'm pretty sure you are looking for special offers at that point.

ti and XT, and super variations of these models might differ vastly or barely at all, allways look at how many watts they draw, that + what year it came out, gives you a good idea of what "tier" of gpu we are talking about.

Yeah the whole pcie4 thing really puts a nasty stick into your wheels, but if you are not happy with those choices and concessions, there still is the used market, rx5600, gtx 1060,1070,1080, and rtx2070 might all be worth looking into. To reassure you tho: I'm running a 2080ti which outclasses all these cards on pcie3.0 and it's fine. See they're cutting costs because pcie4.0 x8 is the same bandwith as pcie3 x16, but if you constrain pcie3 at x8, you are at half the bandwith. In real life that does translate to perfomance losses tho tbf, even then most stuff remains still perfectly playable.

Hope that was more helpful than confusing, lol.

https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/7020630_-radeon-rx-5600-xt-phantom-gaming-d2-6g-oc-asrock.html

appeared, it's 30 bucks less than the 5700
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 06:11:23 am by dragdeler »
let

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 10:01:18 pm »

Sorry, I screwed up the VRAM count. My AMD Radeon R7 360 series only has 2 GB of it. Yeah, this thing's a brick from 2015, lol. XD