Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where is the prospect of learning how to be a Pharmacist?  (Read 1816 times)

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
Where is the prospect of learning how to be a Pharmacist?
« on: August 04, 2023, 11:28:20 pm »

Dear friends on the bay12 forums , I would love to say that I am going to learn medicine in a college in China . However , the prospects of learning medicine here in China is nearly similar to the prospect of learning 生化环材(biology,chemistry,environment ,materials),the 4 bad undergraduate major in China which has the worst prospect of earning money.
Where there any advices about it, my friends?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 09:29:01 pm by zhijinghaofromchina »
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the prospect od learning medicine?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 12:58:38 pm »

Sorry, are you asking which places pay well for doctors?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 07:24:47 pm »

Sorry dear ChairmanPoo , the medicine what I mean is the medicine (drug) we have when we had some diseases. According to the rules here in China, students who learn the medicine are unable to be a doctor, what I want to ask is whether the prospect of learning medicine or working for medicine is better in the western countries than here in China.
By the way I am also very interested in the payment of the doctors in the western countries .
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 02:08:34 am »

I think that Pharmacist is the right word. Sometimes "medicine" is used to refer to anybody who works in healthcare, so that's why ChairmanPoo thought you were talking about doctors.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 05:03:08 am »

In China, it's possible to get a bachelor's degree in Pharmacology. In the US, you would do a bachelor's in some sort of chemistry or biology. After that, you would do another 2+ years of university to get a medical degree in Pharmacology.

So, it might actually be a good idea to study in China, if you can find a country who will take you with just the bachelor's degree. That would save you at least two years, and the price of masters/doctorate programs. But, it is likely other countries will require additional qualifications.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Where is the prospect of learning how to be a Pharmacist?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2023, 03:10:20 pm »

I don't know how it compares to China, but in the UK becoming a pharmacist is difficult and expensive. In the UK to become a pharmacist you have to study an MPharm or Masters of Pharmacy, which is an undergraduate level integrated Masters (you don't need to have a bachelor's degree to apply directly to study the MPharm).

However it is expensive. For international students it can cost £28,740 a year to study (over a period of four years). This only covers tuition fees - the cost of living in the UK has also gone up considerably, in my city in London it can cost £33,000 a year just to live here. Some other cities famous for their universities, like Oxford, Edinburgh, Manchester or Bristol are cheaper than London (London is most expensive), but there are few places in the UK that are "cheap" to live in. It is very common for international students to share rented accommodation to help pay for things!

The other thing to consider is visas. In order to work and stay in the UK legally you need a visa, and in order to study in the UK you need a student visa. When you graduate, if you wish to work in the UK you will need to convert your student visa into a work visa, though this process is easier for people working in the National Healthcare Service, it is not guaranteed to happen! After graduating you then need to complete a foundational training year (you do get paid £25,000 for this at least), and if you pass the pharmacist's registration assessment, then you can work as a qualified pharmacist (making around £40,000-£60,000 a year). Also note that UK tax is very high, so if your salary is £60,000 - you would make £43,849.40 after tax ;[

If you decide to study something equal to Masters of Pharmacy in China, it is possible to work in the UK as a pharmacist. You can do this by passing an overseas qualified pharmacists' assessment program, but be aware places on these courses are highly competitive. Generally speaking, most Western countries in the European Union/North America/Australia/UK/New Zealand should have similar systems where you can check what courses are "equivalent" to local pharmacy qualifications. Many times you can still work abroad using a Chinese degree, but you often have to pass more exams / get your degree recognised as equivalent / take a training year in order to practice pharmacy in that country, and each country usually has a different process. Some processes are easier, some are harder!

Also don't overlook scholarships, bursaries and company graduate schemes/sponsorship schemes. These are all highly competitive and super difficult to get (I have never met anyone who actually got one!) but if you can get one, they can save you a lot of money. Some company graduate or sponsorship schemes can also lead to employment straight after training.

Hope this was helpful!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 03:12:15 pm by Loud Whispers »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 09:47:12 pm »

Dear friends on the bay12 forums , I would love to say that I am going to learn medicine in a college in China . However , the prospects of learning medicine here in China is nearly similar to the prospect of learning 生化环材(biology,chemistry,environment ,materials),the 4 bad undergraduate major in China which has the worst prospect of earning money.
Where there any advices about it, my friends?

How come you can't make any money in those majors?
China has a TON of untapped resources, and being the one that can unlock those resources should be profitable.
China also has connections with other countries, where they'll let you keep more of the wealth.

Which does beg the question: If the ability to identify and extract valuable resources is a "bad undergraduate major" in China, what majors DO earn you money?

In the US, those are the ONLY profitable undergraduate degrees!

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 07:30:41 am »

Dear EuchreJack , thank you for your encouragement !

Although China has a ton of untapped resources , but the working environment for the workers is so worse that nearly every college freshman is unwilling to learn these subjects , the jobs which can earn much are mainly monopolized by the sons of the officials . If you get the master level of pharmacology ,your only choice in hospital is to dispense the medicine at the pharmacy , however if you get the master level of medicine , you might get a high pay .

The devotion of learning to be a biologist ,chemist  is both high and difficult , but the repay is low . If you want to get a high repay you would better to learn to be a doctor .

Maybe the better choice for me is to go to the USA , the UK , or some other countries except China
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023, 10:30:05 am »

Bear in mind that in order to work in healthcare in a country you have to be fluent in that country's vernacular
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2023, 10:35:25 am »

Doctor job = hard, stressful

Many people burn out, doctoring.

If you can't handle doctoring, you won't make more money.

Just warning you. not easy.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2023, 01:00:54 pm »

Doctor job = hard, stressful
Doctor work hours = long, hard like Russian winter!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2023, 09:23:27 pm »

I'm just making sure it translates easily *shrug

I should probably have more faith in google translate, but I haven't used it in ages.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2023, 09:41:39 pm »

Dear EuchreJack , thank you for your encouragement !

Although China has a ton of untapped resources , but the working environment for the workers is so worse that nearly every college freshman is unwilling to learn these subjects , the jobs which can earn much are mainly monopolized by the sons of the officials . If you get the master level of pharmacology ,your only choice in hospital is to dispense the medicine at the pharmacy , however if you get the master level of medicine , you might get a high pay .

The devotion of learning to be a biologist ,chemist  is both high and difficult , but the repay is low . If you want to get a high repay you would better to learn to be a doctor .

Maybe the better choice for me is to go to the USA , the UK , or some other countries except China

Yeah, probably.
The jobs you are describing pay well in the US.
They also generally don't require a security clearance, for which you are unfortunately unlikely to qualify.

But I will add that my college buddies in the sciences were the hardest working students at the college. They're not easy degrees.

I think Doctors in the US are also losing their return-on-investment. New technology and regulations makes it harder for them to work without a hospital, so they're forced into salaried jobs with hospitals or lower-paying specialities.  In the next 20 years, being a Doctor probably won't be considered a "Rich" profession.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2023, 05:19:02 pm »