Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 105185 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #900 on: April 21, 2023, 12:58:07 pm »

It’s a sequel.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 22, 2023, 05:16:16 am »

Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: May 27, 2023, 09:53:33 pm »

Just finished Star Wars Rebels.

Didn’t think I’d particularly enjoy it, but the characters do really grow on you, particularly later on. They bring back a handful of other characters from Clone Wars also, which I appreciated. Also the whole Thrawn deal was something I liked, and he does appear to be… the word escapes me, something like honest or loyal to the character from the book, even if the book is not canon anymore.

It does have a bit of a loose end, but I imagine that was to possibly get more content out of it, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

I’d recommend.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: June 11, 2023, 02:56:14 pm »

I finished the second and final season of Carnival Row.

The final episode felt rushed, of course, with all of the outstanding drama being hastily resolved, completely skipping all the details. Still, that's better than leaving things unresolved after the show's cancelation.
The rest of the season managed to introduce new lands and factions, expand upon the backstories of existing characters, and wrapped up unresolved plot points from the first season. Overall Carnival Row made quite the enjoyable little adventure.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: September 02, 2023, 09:34:49 am »

I've binged the first season of the One Piece Live action, it's... I want to say "good" for a manga/anime adaptation but I think I'll settle on "decent at best" as a show overall. I mean, it's clear that they put a LOT of effort and care in its making but it also has some serious flaws.

The good:
 - The story is mostly intact. Understandably there's been some changes (some characters were cut, some were introduced earlier, a few new plot points were added) but they mostly serve to condense the story, not change it.
 - Like the story, the characters are mostly true to their manga/anime counterparts, there are few visual alterations (Luffy doesn't wear chanclas, Ussop doesn't have such a long nose etc) but the mannerisms, motivations, goals, attitudes are there.
 - Details! LOTS of details! From the characters in the background to the main characters' outfits (they change clothes every few episodes but they still use the outfits they would wear in later arcs). Even the figurehead of the Going Merry, they could have make it look like the original but instead they changed it to a far more expressive one that looks like it was hand carved by some really skilled craftsman.

The bad:
 - There is some tonal shift between episodes, like they haven't made up their minds how they want to portray the world. Zoro is introduced cutting a person in half which isn't really in the style of the source material or the following episodes either. Similarly Buggy (a clown themed pirate) at first feels more like the Joker (from Batman) but later settles to his true, goofy persona.
 - The world feels a lot more grounded to reality than in the manga/anime. By itself that's not a problem but, to me, it makes the more fantastical elements feel jarring when they come in screen.
 - Most of the special effects are good but the fishmen look BAD, like something out of Hercules/Xena or even the Power Rangers.
 - The biggest problem in my opinion, is that they seem to have some screenwriting or, i should say, pacing issues. While watching I felt that a lot of the emotional beats fell flat, like there wasn't enough build up, to justify and make them feel earned.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: September 07, 2023, 12:55:51 pm »

Just completed the 3rd season of Ragnarok and ... that ending episode ...

It makes sense in some way sure, but it really disapointed me so much as it truly felt like a complete cop out, as if they're telling the spectator that everything he watched in those 3 seasons never happened, at some point of the end sequence i was wondering they're pulling a Dallas again ?
Would have prefered they stopped at the episode before the finale then, as it would still be an ending with some satisfaction.

I wonder if Ragnarok was just going to be axed so they decided to do that in the finale to "wash the board".
Oh well, at least up to the finale it was an interesting take on the germanic/norse mythos and all the actors that i never saw before that series were very good in their roles.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 03:53:28 pm by Robsoie »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: September 07, 2023, 01:06:10 pm »

Just finished Star Wars Rebels.

Didn’t think I’d particularly enjoy it, but the characters do really grow on you, particularly later on. They bring back a handful of other characters from Clone Wars also, which I appreciated. Also the whole Thrawn deal was something I liked, and he does appear to be… the word escapes me, something like honest or loyal to the character from the book, even if the book is not canon anymore.

It does have a bit of a loose end, but I imagine that was to possibly get more content out of it, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

I’d recommend.

If you haven't read it already, I strongly recommend a new canon Thrawn comics series from 2018
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: September 09, 2023, 02:56:37 pm »

I have zero history with One Piece but wanted to try it out, since it looked like a light diversion.

So far it's... interesting.  It is a really odd mix of reality and fantasy...but I like that it doesn't take itself seriously.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: September 09, 2023, 03:44:35 pm »

Just completed the 3rd season of Ragnarok and ... that ending episode ...

It makes sense in some way sure, but it really disapointed me so much as it truly felt like a complete cop out, as if they're telling the spectator that everything he watched in those 3 seasons never happened, at some point of the end sequence i was wondering they're pulling a Dallas again ?
Would have prefered they stopped at the episode before the finale then, as it would still be an ending with some satisfaction.

I wonder if Ragnarok was just going to be axed so they decided to do that in the finale to "wash the board".
Oh well, at least up to the finale it was an interesting take on the germanic/norse mythos and all the actors that i never saw before that series were very good in their roles.
I wasnt liking this season very much and was hoping for a payoff by the end. I think you saved me time and disappointment.

I kind of liked the series beforehand so a bit disappointed. Also the actress playing the principal... rawr.

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: September 09, 2023, 04:39:20 pm »

I've watched the first season of Heartstopper on Netflix. It is adapted from the comics of the same name, and it is still behind it in terms of progression.

It is +18 here in Turkey (because of course it is), but since I am almost 20 now, I have access to it. Suck it, RTÜK!

It pretty good by far and the pacing is as slow as it can be under the platforms and genres content standards. It did made me realised that shows of its kind are not really my thing though. I prefer the slowness of text and comics, and being able to fill gaps between the letters and simple, gray images with my imagination. That should be pretty obvious to everyone from the fact that I use this forum. I don't like these newfangled stuff. Back in my day-

Alice had to exclude almost all of casual swearing and making out scenes from the comics to keep it as PG as possible, so the show could achieve maximum exposure. It makes the narrative a bit more plastic, but no big loss. She did keep Harry saying the f-slur, though. Which is pretty good in my opinion as him saying that is a plot drive. She also excluded alot of other stuff from the comics, and added characters and events that weren't in the comic. Which is kinda weird, but I guess a show needs drama to get going.

8/10. Good shit.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 04:41:08 pm by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: September 11, 2023, 08:35:00 pm »

So I quite enjoyed the live-action One Piece.  Enough that I'm now watching the animated version.

Pretty... well it definitely is something.  Surrealism? I don't even know what to call it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: September 11, 2023, 09:10:17 pm »

I've seen a bit of one episode. Was kinda surprised by how not shit it was. Still an anime adaptation, so nothing high-brow. But all the actors seemed intent on making it work in spite of all its silly trappings (props to the admiral guy or whomever - I don't know the source material - for managing to act serious while wearing a teddy bear hat).
Now that I think about it, the CGI and the fantasy make-up were better than what poor Geralt had to contend with.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: September 26, 2023, 10:39:48 pm »

Foundation recently wrapped up it's second season.

This season saw the math-genius girl from the first season turn out to be some sort of psychic, and just one among many with varied powers. The arc surrounding her this season was full of deus ex machina events where every shocking downfall would simply be revealed as an illusion, or something that could be conveniently reversed by one of the powered people. Pretty unsatisfying.

The other major arc surrounded Empire, the mysteries surrounding their past, and their ongoing feud with the Foundation. This story was much more enjoyable, and led up to a fantastic climax at the end of the season.

Season 3 not yet announced, but the creators have already revealed some of their plans and I very much hope that they see fruition.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: September 27, 2023, 12:36:23 am »

I'm currently re-reading (spliced with re-listening) the actual original Empire and Foundation books. I'm so out of what various broadcasters/streamcasters are doing that I only learnt that Foundation was a thing from the announcement of its much anticipated second series...

It all sounds like it's a "based upon", departing quite a bit from the base material. Not just prequelling/postquelling/infilling established canon. But, if you forget that, would you say it has a stand-alone promise?

(e.g. I had a soft spot for The Watch, despite it not being the CSI Ankh-Morpork that was promised, and has been effectively disowned by Pratchett's own daughter. Though depicting within it that there is a multiverse of existences, it's definitely a "multiverse next-door" in an even more meta-way. But I actually thought it looked interesting. Except for the dwarven racelift, which I'm sure they could have done better. Actually given short-stature actors a decent opportunity, with dignity and scope for making the 'omnigendered' bits work without the beard-thing.)

Not that I'm probably going to sign up to Apple/Amazon/Paramount/whoever-it-is to watch it, but eventually it'll perhaps arrive somewhere I'll see it (ironically, more likely if it becomes obviously less good and less useful to keep exclusive). By then, of course, I'll be overwhelmed with even more 'must (eventually) watch' items on my mental wishlist.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: September 29, 2023, 03:54:22 pm »

Not a TV show exactly, but there are more episodes than for some many series on Netflix, so I'm gonna post it.

AI-voiced Presidents (and others) playing various sports games.  It's strangely engrossing.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 67