Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 105253 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #825 on: December 01, 2022, 07:55:52 pm »

The second Witcher season was okay. But definitely much blander than the first.

I also feel they mischaracterised Geralt in places.

As for Wednesday, it was definitely worth watching. My only gripe is that the family members seem like discount-Addamses. With the noteworthy exception of Thing, the rest simply lacked the chemistry I've come to expect.

Particularly between Gomez and Morticia. There was none of the wild, desperate love I expected - instead I was given plastic, simpering dependence. Flashback Gomez was more on point, actually. Or... en garde?  :P

Which is not to say I wouldn't recommend it. Thing, Wednesday herself and the new characters more than ably carry the plot. And that dance....!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 01, 2022, 09:16:10 pm »

and have some distaste for the BladeRunner movie because it also doesn’t follow the book quite so much.
Compared to the so-called I Robot, it positively hugs Do Androids Dream Of Electronic Sheep in a death-clinch!

(Also, which version of Blade Runner? The original release, the Director's Cut or another version..? Seriously, I once saw it on TV, and it was a seemingly rejigged version that matched neither of the main versions and they somehow messed the plot(s) around even more. I suppose I could IMDb for the details, but this was before IMDb (well, before its Cardiff incarnation) and I didn't have that kind of resource at hand, right then.)

And what do you think about 2001: A Space Odyssey, book (of that title) vs. film? ;) ...especially given that the 2010 book uses the 2001 film variations in backstory!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 01, 2022, 09:55:59 pm »

I think I have the biggest issue with the director’s cut because that’s the one that most insinuates Deckard is a replicant, and I think it also doesn’t focus on replicants entirely lacking empathy as much, which is a major component of the book.

However, it has been a while since I have read the book and seen the movie, and I am horribly sleep deprived at the best of times these days so my memory ain’t what it used to be to have a well-reasoned discourse on it.

I think it’s an example to myself that I shouldn’t allow my feelings on the source material to influence on something created from it, since (at least in this specific instance) they’re each enjoyable in their own way.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: December 02, 2022, 08:48:19 am »

Did you know that Bladerunner was also a book called Bladerunner, which has nothing to do with Electric Sheep, but which the director found and liked the name of so he bought the movie rights to it and later used the name for his Electric Sheep filmatisation?

I've always felt a little bad for that Bladerunner.
Love, scriver~

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 03, 2022, 04:33:43 am »

Disney first shortened the third Owl House season into three specials, and cancelled the four. You know why? Because the officals are homophobic bitches and they did it because Lumity exists. And after ALL that, seeing the gargantuan backlash and their missed chance to capitalise on the popularity, they are now all "sowwy" about it.

Yeah, it turns out a significant amount of people have no qualms about queers.

BRING MY GAY WITCH SHOW BACK YOU WRETCHED ANTHROPOMORPHIC SEWAGE RAT!

I WANT NEED MY BEACH EPISODE AND HUNTER GETTING THERAPY!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 03, 2022, 01:28:59 pm »

(Hadn't heard of the series, went to Wikipedia, foremost/leading voice-artist is the most obviously unlinked subject of the article. So clearly someone new on the scene and not from the usual repertory company/overused central-casting. Hopefully she'll have her foot in the door now, and earn the wikipage with a filmography/TVography of some kind. Though not at too much expense for the very next hopeful. Assuming she's any good, but I presume there wouldn't be the complaints at its cancelling if she was so bad... ;) )

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: December 04, 2022, 06:46:16 pm »

Disney first shortened the third Owl House season into three specials, and cancelled the four. You know why? Because the officals are homophobic bitches and they did it because Lumity exists. And after ALL that, seeing the gargantuan backlash and their missed chance to capitalise on the popularity, they are now all "sowwy" about it.
Yeah, it turns out a significant amount of people have no qualms about queers.
BRING MY GAY WITCH SHOW BACK YOU WRETCHED ANTHROPOMORPHIC SEWAGE RAT!
I WANT NEED MY BEACH EPISODE AND HUNTER GETTING THERAPY!

I'm not going to claim that it's impossible homophobia had anything to do with their decision...but the given reason was that Owl House did not fit Disney's brand of targeting younger children. And to be fair, Owl House does have some relatively mature themes, including an aggressively bigoted antagonist, some confusing time travel stuff, creepy slime monsters, human cloning, and I'm sure I'm forgetting more. And the cancellation was not abrupt as is often the case in these situations; they gave ample forewarning so that the creator could wrap up the biggest story points.

Also, Luz is bi witch, not gay witch.

I enjoyed Andor's first season. Second season is already in production and planned to conclude the series.

Star Wars show without the space wizards. First half is a Heist, second half is a Prison Break. Both arcs are fairly by-the-numbers without any major surprises, but well done otherwise.
My biggest complaint is that the series is intended to show how and why the Rebels were formed; they did a pretty good job on the 'how', but failed on the 'why'. The conditions in which Andor was sent to prison and how he was treated inside are some major black marks against the Empire, but it's all done quietly without them ever showing word spread about what's happening. Other than that, people seem to be upset with the Empire and ready to rebel without any real reason.
Aside from that, the show can be just a bit slow paced at times.

Still, I'll be looking forward to the conclusion next season.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: December 05, 2022, 07:16:22 pm »

I enthused about the first episode of Inside Job here months ago, and recently I watched more of it!

Episode 6 introduces a James Bond expy, and Episode 7 (007) is all about the main character trying to break up with him.  It's fantastic, and not just because she accidentally goes full Bond Villain hehe.

It really has a lot to say but mainly it's hilarious.  I wonder if Kill James Bond might comment on it in the next Q&A if I ask nicely.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 23, 2022, 01:20:53 pm »

Hahah I've finally watched Don't Look Up.

Why don't we get more stuff like this, instead of the other nonsense we get.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: December 25, 2022, 03:55:04 pm »

Tempted to make a thread of its own, for this, but first just the general thought behind the comment...

Whilst here watching TV in a relative's place (with a bit of a different TV watching policy than my own), I gather that the "knockout craft competition" series is about to get one for snowmen (being created, that is, I think by celeb contestants...).

So, off the top of my head, there's an expanding range of these things: baking, cooking, sewing, pottery, painting, make-up, drag-queening, metal blades*, Lego, snow...

((* - the only one of these not having had a "Great British <Foo>-Off", or other similar substitute name. Though the Lego Masters (UK) only did a couple of seasons, I think, with US and then Aus versions taking over.))

I'm sure there's many more, especially from the profligate and ideas-hungry US networks.

And if someone hasn't actually compiled a list of them all, perhaps I should make a thread for a) Examples, b) Humorous and ridiculous suggestions, c) Those ridiculous suggestions being proven to be actually already having been made.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: December 26, 2022, 03:02:10 am »

I've watched a lot of those weird contest shows, there's a new one about playdough I saw advertised somewhere.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: December 27, 2022, 12:01:54 pm »

Netflix execs :
Ok we got lots of tomatoes sent our way after Witcher season 2 but still we make money so who cares, let's make more by making a new serie "Blood Origins" and add the name Witcher on it for more laugh and giggles.
People threw tomatoes at us because the guys we put in charge of the tv adaptation of the books decided to ignore the books completely.
So this time we'll make the serie taking place 1000 years before the books to avoid that, that's a great idea right ? Nothing can go wrong.

Netflix execs  :  Hold my beer !
- Let's hire again Declan de Barra and Lauren Schmidt Hissrich , 2 of those people that hated the Witcher books obviously so much they decided to make their own terribly bad fan faction on the Witcher show to replace anything the book was building. But as it's 1000 years before the books they can now put any kind of their mediocre fan fiction in the front, there should be no problem.

Declan de Barra and Lauren Schmidt Hissrich : Hold my beer !
- Let's ignore absolutely and completely that in the witcher universe before the Conjunction of the Spheres, the elves had their own culture, their species had different world view, mindset and attitude toward everything, different sensibility, philosophy and etc.. than humans.
Instead in our show 1000 years before the elves are now simply human with pointy ears, they react to things exactly as humans, we'll make absolutely no difference other than ears at all, they behave exactly like low brow versions of humans, think like humans, have human-like culture ! Nothing can go wrong.

Netflix execs : Hold my beer !
Let's hire again the mediocre CGI and SFX people we had before, Witcher CGI and SFX looked like crap in comparison to other heroic fantasy tv shows but that's no problem, we'll do the exact same ! There should be no problem see that cheap flying monster in episode 1 !

de Barra and Schmidt Hissrich : Hold my beer !
the mini series is taking place 1000 years before our other show, let's use the exact same type of costumes so they don't look from 1000 years before ! And let's show how creative we are in our dialogue : "fuck that fucking fuck , i'll fuck up that fucking fuck and fucking fuck out!" ... yeah not even kidding, such fantastic writing with incredibly creative at trying to come with different type of cursing fitting ancient times ...

/facepalm, why did i even watch that first couple of episodes thinking that maybe out of their fan fiction they could do better ...

It's not like it's impossible to make something in a book universe but outside of the book constraint, while making really good CGI and SFX and making your fan fiction story still fit.... just check House of the Dragons, for a fan fiction they did really good (out of the costume that were too GoT-like era).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 01:35:22 pm by Robsoie »

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: December 28, 2022, 07:11:33 pm »

I started watching Transformers: Prime.

Man, Starscream was much gayer than I remembered him to be.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: December 28, 2022, 08:01:52 pm »

Currently watching Alice in Borderland.

Interesting. Also, it does a good job of making things just enough of a twist that I've not actually been able to guess everything yet, though I did know the one Diamonds one* and the 10 of Hearts I was able to get easily enough.

I'm actually digging all these non-English shows.

Spoiler: *True Spoiler (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: December 29, 2022, 03:21:57 am »

I started watching Transformers: Prime.

Man, Starscream was much gayer than I remembered him to be.
From what I hear he gets gayer every new show.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 67