Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 105179 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #780 on: August 18, 2022, 05:14:55 pm »

Watching Sandman, really enjoying it. I unironically think Gwendolyn Christie was a fantastic casting choice for Lucifer.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 19, 2022, 06:33:49 am »

She is pretty damn good, especially compared to a number of the other folks who are just baffling choices. I get them wanting to be true to the comics in certain things, but in that case maybe cast folks who can actually pull off an american accent properly? The biggest offenders are in the Dollhouse arc. I get that a kid probably won't be able to pull off something like that, so why not cast a US actor, they did it with Oswalt and he's wonderful as Matthew.
Other than those nitpicks, pretty good adaptation, we need more weird shit being made like this.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 19, 2022, 07:33:48 am »

Sandman has completely failed to grip me so far. What I found myself liking the most in it, is where they recreate the look of certain panels from the books. But that's just how it feels to me - a series of nice looking scenes strung together for their own sake, rather than in the service of a story. Which is completely opposite of the books, come to think of it - the art was kinda fugly most of the time (with occasional sparks of pure genius, but still) while the story rent your heart apart.

It's nowhere near as disjointed as the Witcher, but in my mind it leans that way, which is pretty disappointing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 19, 2022, 01:20:12 pm »

Honestly I don't remember the books that well, since I started reading them in elementary school and then the library ran out halfway through and I sort of forgot all about it. But I'll probably try to read the half I didn't finish at some point. I've seen 3.75 episodes so I can't say I have a fully developed opinion.

Witcher S1 was OK but had none of the charming rants that characterized the original. S2 was an unwatchable disaster and the novels are clearly far, far better.

It's nice to see a Netflix adaptation that has at least some creative character (Sandman) but I would really like to see more of their fantasy shows making genuine creative choices.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 26, 2022, 08:25:00 am »

I was very skeptical of a Sandman series, and am cool with never watching it. A lot of the comics were also pretty psychadelic which just wouldn't translate well from page to screen.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 26, 2022, 10:31:02 am »

Watching Legends of Tomorrow. No pretense of depth but entertaining and that's good enough for me.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 26, 2022, 02:33:25 pm »

I was very skeptical of a Sandman series, and am cool with never watching it. A lot of the comics were also pretty psychadelic which just wouldn't translate well from page to screen.

FWIW I've heard nothing but positive reviews, from people that both known the comics and newcomers.

Sandman is pretty much the only comic series I read everything of. I haven't yet decided to try the series though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 29, 2022, 03:01:06 pm »

Watching Legends of Tomorrow. No pretense of depth but entertaining and that's good enough for me.
It's a good show, at least what I saw of it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: September 12, 2022, 04:40:06 pm »

I'm very much enjoying House of the Dragon. Feels like the first season of GoT, before the series got watered down with too many plots and too many faces travelling between too many places. It's focused on the affairs of a single family, with a small overall number of characters, so it can spend the limited time in each episode to develop them well.
The world is fun to be returning to - as long as one forgets about most of latter parts of the GoT. Which makes the insistence on periodically attempting to link the two series with portentous and foreboding talks of prophecies rather unnecessary. Can't we just focus on the here and now? Still, that's a minor nitpick.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 13, 2022, 12:33:20 pm »

I just finished the first season of She Hulk.
Hopefully also the last.

I hated the premise. Bruce Banner and his lawyer cousin just happen to get in a car wreck together, causing a small amount of Hulk blood to splash onto Jenn, which is enough to make her a hulk. Also she gets to skip the whole angry alter ego phase purely by virtue of having a vagina.
Most of the season has absolutely no villain or greater plot to keep things going; just episodic courtroom stories juxtaposed with Jenn adapting to being a figure in the public eye, none of which was the least bit compelling.
Most of the season also had Jenn breaking the fourth wall, until the final episode saw She Hulk literally smash through it in a plot twist that would make Deadpool cringe. After that little fiasco, all of the loose plot threads from the season were simply glossed over or ignored completely, quick cameo with classic Hulk to promote his new movie, and roll credits.

I really disliked Falcon+WinterSoldier, but I think She Hulk has dethroned them as my new most hated MCU series.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 13, 2022, 12:42:48 pm »

Wait you... watched more than one episode of She Hulk?   :o

Impressive.

I recently watched Cursed, and I'm disappointed it fell into the chasm of discontinued shows. It was a pretty unique take on Arthurian legend, and I found it entertaining enough.

I'm also fairly enjoying Rings of Power.  I am not super-familiar with the source material, and am just taking it as it is. It's an entertaining enough, well-produced show: music and visuals are fantastic.  The worst part is, even though I know what has to happen, I'm always like "ugh, couldn't you have stopped it!?"  Makes me wonder what I do in my life, that I think is obvious, but I'm missing...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 13, 2022, 12:58:13 pm »

Huh, was just about to write about it, tho my takeaway was vastly different than yours.

Like you I disliked the initial episodes because they felt like almost every other thing the MCU has done in the past couple of years, except with an extra thick layer of wokeness and gurrl power on top (by which I mean incredibly poorly written and hamfisted attempts to make strong and compelling female characters that tend to boil down to girls just being better and all men being shit).

But the show evolves past that, like first off, it's not really a superhero show, it's more a slice of life that just happens to have a superhero in it. A female one at that, and it deals with her approaching it from that angle and everything that would entail. What I'm still trying to figure out tho is whether or not the start of the show was made intentionally bad or not, because that shit leads directly into the stuff that happens later on. And it's rather surreal to have the show panned for that as it's introducing a storyline about the exact same shit happening to the heroine of the show where a group is trying to 'cancel' her because they think she doesn't deserve her powers because she's female.

The rest of it is pretty wild as well, without going too spoilery, but I really like the handling of the ending as it takes the by now very worn out MCU ending formula and turns it on its head. It ends up feeling like a show where the protagonist is aware of it and is actively struggling against the wishes of the writers. Granted, I don't think this can work more than once without it feeling cheap or lazy, but I'm interested in where and how they take the characters from here. Which is more than I can say for most of the rest of the MCU stuff that's coming out.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 13, 2022, 02:49:52 pm »

She Hulk is absolutely not a slice-of-life. At most, you could say that it's a show about a protagonist who wishes she was in a slice-of-life, but is instead stuck in a poorly written superhero saga.

And the ending does not get to be good purely by virtue of being different, no matter how much they literally brag about how great they are just for doing something different.
The entire show was terrible, literally just so that at the end they could call themselves out for being terrible and then claim that they're actually great because they recognize how terrible they are. No. I'm not buying it. That's not great, it's just terrible.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 14, 2022, 05:08:05 am »

She Hulk is absolutely not a slice-of-life. At most, you could say that it's a show about a protagonist who wishes she was in a slice-of-life, but is instead stuck in a poorly written superhero saga.

And the ending does not get to be good purely by virtue of being different, no matter how much they literally brag about how great they are just for doing something different.
The entire show was terrible, literally just so that at the end they could call themselves out for being terrible and then claim that they're actually great because they recognize how terrible they are. No. I'm not buying it. That's not great, it's just terrible.

QFT

I thiught the same. I was hoping they'd go for "slice of life" and itd be tolerable. But they went for this edgy ending that... doesnt work. It simply doesnt work for me. "Standard superhero endings  are different and we want to be different" ... well you actually have to do that ending.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 21, 2022, 09:14:43 pm »

The Pentaverate

I don't do drugs, but I imagine this is what it must feel like.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 67