Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 105358 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #675 on: December 28, 2021, 11:09:44 pm »

Shit, that Witcher is kinda terribad. The first season wasn't good either, but it was still bingeable as a sort of guilty pleasure. This one is just ugh. At least so far, after two episodes. Bad acting, shit direction, confused script, generic visuals.

I just finished the second season.

First couple of episodes do have some issues. They are only loosely connected to the main arc of the season, and not super interesting on their own.
The rest of the season does get better though. Not amazing, but there's a lot of building up of the characters and factions which I feel could lead to more impressive seasons down the line.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: December 29, 2021, 10:39:19 am »

So far, it's not as good as the first season. But I agree with Folly: there's a lot of build-up here which I expect will see later development.

Honestly, I mostly appreciate how they've managed to evoke the Continent's culture and fears. That's a strength of both series.

Edit: Is it bad that Geralt actually talking feels wrong to me? :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 31, 2021, 11:34:24 am »

A while ago I noticed this LoL show on Netflix, called Arcane. Game inspired shows are never good, so it was odd to see a 100% score on rottentomatoes. Went and checked it out. And boy, is it beautiful or what.

Since this seems to have not be discussed much over here(not nearly as much as it deserves), I shall bring it up again

Watch Arcane. Give it a try, at least the first 3 episodes.
You may be concerned because you are not familiar with the source material (league of legends) or because you are, but in truth they did a great job of making it accessible and it should be considered on its own merits.

The art is quite interesting and I find it wonderfully animated. It adopts a painterly look which allows to blend the 2D and 3D seamlessly, in addition of making most frames look like paintings. And there is in fact a lot of 2D and 3D interacting: all the backgrounds and many objects are purely 2D, with 3D being reserved for characters. The special effects like fire smoke and similar are also 2D. Overall, it is quite peculiar and in my opinion frankly wonderful to look at.
Special mention goes to the expressions of the characters. It is all hand animated (as opposed to motion capture) but despite the style not being hyperrealistic, the work done on microexpressions and in general the "aliveness" is amazing. The characters are never really still: they breathe, they move, they shake, all in a very believable way. Unlike most animated products, they didn't cut any corner to reduce the work.
With the benefit of very strong visuals and style, the show is very much in the "show don't tell" camp, with many things inferred from what we are shown without being told about it.

As for plot, it is pretty standard rich vs oppressed plot, but its focus is on the characters, and they are fairly solid ones. You can see where they come from and the reasons why they behave in a certain way and you never get the feeling that they are bent out of character for plot convenience but rather due to their personality and history it wouldn't make sense for them to behave in a different way no matter what we as the detatched audience see as the best way to act. This is complicated by heroes having flaws and villains having virtues or at least understandable motivations. The central conflict is explored from many different angles and you can pick almost any 2 characters and find some interesting dualism to argue on.

The camera work is pretty great, above many works which actually have a camera. They use their freedom in positioning the shot well and frequently for greater impact. The camera changes focus, shakes, rotates as needed for the scenes without actual physical limitations but mimicking the real camera feeling.

Fights are definitely not the focus of this work (the best fight scene is mostly flashback and most of the other fight scenes have deeper involvement than just the action itself), but one thing I want to say is that they are pretty raw. The show never resorts to an excess of gore (there is some, but sparingly used to make it impactful) but the great work done on expressions, body language and movement combined with the fact that in an animation characters can actually make contact unlike live action makes the violence feel... very violent. the punches hurt. The characters get bloodies, get tired, get sloppier as the fight go on.

In short: amazing art and animation, great character driven story, good overall direction and acting, no knowledge of source material required.
it is an opinion and yours may differ, but I invite you to give it a chance

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 31, 2021, 12:57:52 pm »

Haha Jayne Cobb makes a guest appearance on SG-1! It's kind of funny because he's like the same character.

Better than T'Pol's guest appearance. I never cared for her to be honest.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 02, 2022, 01:53:14 pm »

You may be concerned because you are not familiar with the source material (league of legends) or because you are, but in truth they did a great job of making it accessible and it should be considered on its own merits.
If I had to complain about something, I'd say the show falters when (towards the end) it tries to align itself with the game logic and looks. At that point the characters start drifting away from well-written and fleshed-out people inhabiting a fantastical but believably grounded world, and take on excessive aspects. The game-appropriate oversized gear looks comically impractical (the hammer, the gloves, the minigun), the effective plot immortality of main characters defuses a lot of tension, and the wholesale slaughter of disposable mooks begins to replace ensouled characters and actual stakes in fights.
To be clear, coming in I thought this gamey reality is all the show would be. But it only appears as barely an afterthought in an otherwise excellent character drama. And, on the other hand, one needs to credit the lore and art style of the game for the general aesthetics of the show. Still, I wish it would be able to divorce itself from its roots a bit more.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 02, 2022, 05:35:58 pm »

Honestly, the gloves and the hammer don't bother me much. They are heavy machinery, which is only wieldable because it has built-in antigravity (note when one gauntlet was damaged and it fell to the ground like the huge piece of metal it is, completely unuseable). The gauntlets in particular should be compared to a jackhammer rather than boxing gloves, considering they are mining tools. The hammer at least has a symbolic reason for why it is a giant hammer, impractical as it is (also, I would classify it as an heavy gun rather)

The minigun stretches my suspension of disbelief quite more. There is eventually a reason why it can be used handheld like that, but it happens at the end of the story after it has already been in use. I believe the authors were also aware of that, since it is very often not on screen while not shooting, to the point that on the first watch I thought it just appeared from nothing and I went back to check if it was actually present all the time

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 02, 2022, 10:23:12 pm »

S1 of Cobra Kai was pretty good. Not happy about later seasons . . .
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 02, 2022, 10:25:44 pm »

S1 was very good. S2... decent but nowhere near as good as 1 . S3 was hollow. S4 so far is better than S3, but still... mreh.

I´d agree that S1 had some themes and undertones that were missing from the rest of the seasons
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 05, 2022, 06:48:16 pm »

So I know that SG-1 has 10 seasons, but

Spoiler: Real Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 06:52:50 pm by McTraveller »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 05, 2022, 07:28:27 pm »

Spoiler: Disappointment inside (click to show/hide)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 05, 2022, 08:53:15 pm »

I never had an interest in playing the games or reading the books, but a couple of friends have roped me into watching (well, for them it was a re-watch of the 1st season in preparation for the 2nd) The Witcher with them and, while it is pretty much as dumb and trope-ridden as I expected, it has made for entertaining enough viewing. *shrug*   
Real love/hate thing with Jaskier, though. He can be pretty damn funny until he opens his mouth and starts singing. Eugh.  :-\   

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 06, 2022, 02:28:00 am »

Spoiler: Disappointment inside (click to show/hide)
Oh shit I'm near the end of Season 8.  I haven't watched in a month or so - it's a popcorn show for me but I very much enjoy it, when I'm feeling lazy and wanting some pro-colonialist sci-fi :P  I guess I sorta burned out recently (S8E8 was the last I saw, apparently, I truly don't remember it.  I think it was more real life factors that paused my watching).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 06, 2022, 02:42:51 am »

It's in the A-Team and McGyver category in my mind - super fun to watch if you don't think too deeply on the themes - which might just be necessary for any TV show that's at least 10 years old at this point, but that's also my own growing sensitivity and cynicism, so who knows.

Definitely recommend wrapping up Season 8 at least.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 06, 2022, 02:49:31 am »

It's not nearly as problematic as TNG season 1, haha.  It's generally fine, it's just easy to read certain USA expeditionary propaganda into it.  On the whole it's a very solid show.  Good representation for women and minorities.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 06, 2022, 08:41:27 am »

EDIT:
Spoiler: More impressions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 07:27:48 pm by McTraveller »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 67