Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 105345 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #570 on: September 28, 2020, 09:04:50 am »

Hey, is anyone watching Raised by Wolves? It's all the good and bad of Prometheus, in TV format.

I've been watching Raised by Wolves. Only halfway through the first season, but definitely hooked.

Premise is great. Believers and Atheists went to war, Believers pulled out an army of super deadly androids and were well on their way to wiping out the Atheists, then the apocalypse came along to wipe them both out. Before the end, both sides sent Arks to a new world to repopulate, and now these last vestiges of humanity are struggling to survive amongst each other and a deadly environment.

Special effects are flashy when they need to be, and sleekly stylish the rest of the time. Theme music is somber and poignant. Actors are all excellent. Everything about this show is really top-notch. Would recommend.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 28, 2020, 10:32:30 am »

I mean, it's kinda cringy too.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 05, 2020, 07:21:44 am »

Couple days ago I started watching Orange Is the New Black, probably since some Netflix documentary in a similar setting made me think of it.   
I'd always been under the impression that it was a really niche kind of a show and probably just overwhelmingly unpleasant, but I'm actually rather enjoying it. Definitely a pleasant surprise. Also it has seven friggin' seasons at this point, so assuming it doesn't abruptly go to shit like some shows do I will have plenty to keep myself entertained for some time.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 05, 2020, 08:48:15 am »

Started watching the "The 100" on netflix.

The show starts with humanity having bombed itself to (almost) extinction and with what's left of them living in some space station orbiting Earth. The life support there is failing and they try to get back to Earth only to find that some humans have survived there and are now savages and they don't like them...yadda yadda yadda. So far the show isn't anything spectacular or mind blowing but it's decent enough to pass a couple of hours at a time.

Spoiler: minor spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 05, 2020, 11:48:10 am »

Ah yes The 100, equal parts bad writing, good characters, and pure cheese--just wait til you get to the later seasons lol
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: October 05, 2020, 12:33:17 pm »

It gets worse doesn't it?  :o :o  :D

It's true about the characters, some of the stuff they do is questionable (if not stupid) but they are usually good enough to pick up the slack from the bad writing.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 08, 2020, 08:17:28 pm »

Couple days ago I started watching Orange Is the New Black, probably since some Netflix documentary in a similar setting made me think of it.   
I'd always been under the impression that it was a really niche kind of a show and probably just overwhelmingly unpleasant, but I'm actually rather enjoying it. Definitely a pleasant surprise. Also it has seven friggin' seasons at this point, so assuming it doesn't abruptly go to shit like some shows do I will have plenty to keep myself entertained for some time.   
I am up to the final episode of season two and I have to say, I really undersold it here.   
This show is actually fantastic. Pretty much all the characters are total onions, some of them somehow managing to dance a jig of heel-face and face-heel turns until they seem both a heel and a face at the same time. Its funniest moments really sneak up on you most of the time, which makes them so much better - I literally laughed 'til I cried at one point. Also there's this one line that really resonated with me, "I'm not an alcoholic, I'm Australian!".   

Quite a few good songs (not the theme song), too, especially in the end credits. Gonna have to look some of them up.   

Edit: okay, after three full seasons I think the show's quality has finally hit a noticeable decline with the fourth.   
'Twas a good innings, right? Still, I'm only two episodes in, so maybe it will pick back up. Also, why does this thread not see more activity? I couldn't bring myself to double-post, since my previous post was so recent already.   
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 07:21:07 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 18, 2020, 07:20:29 am »

I just finished watching the first season of the Night Manager last night. It was pretty good. Most of it's enjoyability comes from the actors being who they are though. Loki infiltrating the business empire of Dr House is a great premise.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 18, 2020, 09:08:50 am »

I enjoyed The Night Manager immensely. It was tight, expertly crafted, and moving along with a sense of purpose. IMO one of the best series out there, period.
But for me, having Laurie as House (and his comedic personae, perhaps more so) in the back of my mind was distracting. Subconsciously expecting some irreverent quip would occasionally undermine the intended sense of dread. For some reason Loki wasn't that much of an issue.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 23, 2020, 08:05:43 am »

Just finished the second-last season of Orange Is the New Black. Damn.   
Season 5 was a little bit silly at times (although some of that is understandable due to the subject matter), but season 6 was good, despite the loss of a whole heap of established characters. Maybe it didn't amaze me as much as the earlier seasons, but I enjoyed it, and it worked slowly but surely towards a dang fantastic ending. That's a truly great season finale there, by any show's standards.   

Now, I've heard that the seventh and final season is crap, but I've heard various people say bad things about different seasons and none of 'em have really proven true so far, in my opinion. In any case I'll probably take a break to digest the one I just finished.   
And then, of course, there's that dread sensation of knowing you're near the end of the show and its stories, and that it's anyone's guess whether you'll find anything new to watch that's anywhere near as good... mind you, I feel that way pretty much every time I like a show enough to finish the whole thing, but y'know. Still sad.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 25, 2020, 06:38:59 pm »

There's an interesting, uh, sports drama(?) on Netflix - The Queen's Gambit.
As its backbone it has a solid - if sometimes soapy - coming of age story embellished with great cinematography and well-captured period. What's impressive is how it manages to keep one's involvement over seven hours of what's essentially people thinking at each other real hard, in a way that feels natural, exciting, and mostly free of cliches. Apart from the last episode - that one falls back on tropes a bit too readily. I suppose in an effort to provide a sense of closure.
Very bingeable. Quite digestible. Probably not terribly memorable. A good way to spend an evening or two.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 14, 2020, 12:35:56 am »

After 15 years of battling the Supernatural, the Winchester boys have finally driven off into the sunset.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 15, 2020, 01:53:31 pm »

Just finished the second-last season of Orange Is the New Black. Damn.   
Season 5 was a little bit silly at times (although some of that is understandable due to the subject matter), but season 6 was good, despite the loss of a whole heap of established characters. Maybe it didn't amaze me as much as the earlier seasons, but I enjoyed it, and it worked slowly but surely towards a dang fantastic ending. That's a truly great season finale there, by any show's standards.   

Now, I've heard that the seventh and final season is crap, but I've heard various people say bad things about different seasons and none of 'em have really proven true so far, in my opinion. In any case I'll probably take a break to digest the one I just finished.   
And then, of course, there's that dread sensation of knowing you're near the end of the show and its stories, and that it's anyone's guess whether you'll find anything new to watch that's anywhere near as good... mind you, I feel that way pretty much every time I like a show enough to finish the whole thing, but y'know. Still sad.   

I don't think it was *bad*, but it's pretty depressing and really different from the beginning of the show which was basically a comedy. But I get why they decided to get political about it. A lot of people wanted it to wrap up with happy endings for all but given that it's a tv show about prison it's just not gonna happen.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 19, 2020, 09:06:37 pm »

The Expanse is back with season 5! First 3 episodes are available now.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 19, 2020, 11:28:25 pm »

Rewatching Community. Not quite as funny as the first time, still funny enough. Heard Dark, on the Netflix, is good.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 67