Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 105329 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #465 on: March 23, 2020, 01:48:02 am »

EDIT: yeah I was wrong, Netflix did put some funding into this.

Though a lot of the stuff barely passes muster as a co-production, it's mostly just licensing stuff for streaming overseas. I really only regard something as an actual co-production when both financing nations had significant input into the production in terms of story or art, not just throwing cash at a franchise that already existed.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 01:59:25 am by Reelya »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 23, 2020, 01:55:57 am »

Ah, I assumed that the "Netflix series" still meant it was actually produced by Netflix. I'd never heard of it before seeing it there.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 23, 2020, 02:00:49 am »

I checked, I have a copy of the show here. Netflix does actually turn up in the credits, so I was wrong, edited. But it's a pre-existing franchise, so my guess is that it's pretty much on the level of a funding deal. Even Crunchyroll has done a few of those: thrown some bucks back at Japan to make some shows. Also this show did air on about 6 different TV stations in Japan before going to streaming, and if it was a Netflix exclusive, they wouldn't have been able to do that. So, the deal seems to be that Netflix threw some money into the pot, and in return they get the outside-Japan streaming rights. (if they made a Japanese anime and the Japanese fans couldn't watch it without paying Netflix, the Japanese fans would have ripped them a new asshole).

like I said, when you hear co-production then it usually implies there's more of an artistic input from both sides. For example, the OG Transformers cartoon was close to a co-production (USA and Japan), as was Seven, Mysterious Cities of Gold (France and Japan). Netflix are generally clever in how they license this stuff: don't fuck with the merchandise. So they've learned the lessons of some of the ham-fisted butchery of the source material that used to go on with these kinds of deals.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 02:20:14 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 23, 2020, 07:52:06 am »

My mother and I have been watching The English Game. It is actually rather excellent!
I have no real interest in football or its history, either, so I can only imagine the show would resonate even more with someone who was into that stuff, but, believe me, it's still plenty compelling either way. Can't go wrong with a good, well-made and well-acted period piece, really. Nicely nuanced characters, too - some of them may be cads at times but there aren't really any two-dimensional villains or what have you.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 23, 2020, 01:03:23 pm »

It's not a show I am watching, but I have heard they are telling the contestants on the German version of Big Brother about the Coronavirus.

Now, if you were on a gameshow that kept you from knowing about the outside world for an extended period of time, what are the odds you would think they're building up to a zombie apocalypse fakeout?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 23, 2020, 01:24:13 pm »

Hey I saw that movie, it was british
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 25, 2020, 07:51:34 pm »

Aqua Teen Hunger Force is still hilarious. They even kind of solved a case once.

Edit: Also, it is important that those of you using light therapy claim to be a reverse vampire that craves the sun, and that your family comes from Tansylvania.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 09:17:00 am by Iduno »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 26, 2020, 04:39:10 am »

Hey I saw that movie, it was british

Googled it, it wasn't a movie it was a mini-series: Dead Set

Wholly unremarkable, I remember it mostly because it was the first time I encountered the name "Pippa" which is a hilarious name because it is Swedish slang for fucking and I am a 12-year-old boy at heart
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 26, 2020, 07:54:06 am »

The Picard show could have been great, but then they decided they needed to make what they did.

https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1242907914676908032

Edit: In their defense, it's still like the 3rd or 4th best tv show he's been Picard in.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 03:52:23 pm by Iduno »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 26, 2020, 02:08:20 pm »

I've been watching Criminal:UK, Criminal:Spain and some more Criminal: <insert country name>  on Netflix.
It's a nice take on a crime series. It's all about interrogation room psychology.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: March 26, 2020, 03:25:51 pm »

The Picard show could have been great, but then they decided they needed to make what they did.

"Picard S1E9: Not Again! Picard hit his head and believes he's been living in another simulation. Can the villagers convince him they're real in time for the fair?"
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 26, 2020, 03:53:31 pm »

"Picard S1E9: Not Again! Picard hit his head and believes he's been living in another simulation. Can the villagers convince him they're real in time for the fair?"

"An early frost freezes many of Picard's grapes. Luckily, he discovers ice wine is actually not that bad."

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 27, 2020, 07:41:47 pm »

Well, Picard has ended.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I kinda hope to see a spinoff/sequel, focused on the new captain whose name I never bothered to learn. Maybe with Deanna's daughter stowing away on his ship somehow. Vulcan ninja guy can come too, since he's got nothing to do now.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 28, 2020, 09:11:19 pm »

I just finished watching Locke and Key Season 1.

This is a Netflix show about some kids who find a bunch of magical keys with suspiciously specific powers, and then get chased by a monster who wants the keys.
Unfortunately the story is full of plot holes and ridiculous coincidences, on top of the absurd premise. I'm going to call this one barely watchable.

Apparently Netflix has already greenlit two more seasons. I may or may not continue watching, depending on if anything else is on at the time.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 28, 2020, 09:20:13 pm »

I watched the first episode of Ozark season 3 yesterday!
Had to stop myself from watching more, since I've been excited for this for so long and I don't want to blitz through it and have to start waiting for a new season all over again. So far it's pretty bloody good, though one would expect nothing less.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 67