Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 105202 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #450 on: February 28, 2020, 04:05:02 pm »

Yea, I tend to agree with Nenjin's and RLM's take on "New Trek".

Picard isn't ~bad~, but it's not really trek either. Personally, I would cite the writing (both technically and stylistically), the design/prop/cg aesthetic, and in some cases the casting and/or acting styles as being too divulgent from the Star Trek universe. On one hand, obviously, you can write any story any way you want, BUT (also a lot like Star Wars) you can't just insert that same story into whatever universe you want without attempting to conform to (or consciously subvert) that universe's conventions and expect it to ~work~.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 28, 2020, 04:59:35 pm »

Ironic there's another RLM on Picard posted today. I appreciate how "Treky" a whole scene about drilling out a dude's eyeball in gory detail is.

"All the problems of the 21st century are back: poverty, crime, drugs, homelessness, rape, murder, racism, corruption, greed, homophobia."
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 05:20:46 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 01, 2020, 09:46:35 pm »

Ironic there's another RLM on Picard posted today. I appreciate how "Treky" a whole scene about drilling out a dude's eyeball in gory detail is.

"All the problems of the 21st century are back: poverty, crime, drugs, homelessness, rape, murder, racism, corruption, greed, homophobia."

Cool. I can save on the price of cable or whatever and just look out a window.

Also, the eye scene in The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance was better.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 09, 2020, 08:35:55 am »

Started watching something called The Break, on Netflix. It's a Belsh show, in whatever language they speak in that part of the world - a bastardised form of French, I believe?

Anyway, at first it seemed kind of mediocre and the only thing that really caught my eye was the very clearly True Detective-inspired intro, but I suppose it's interesting enough that I'll watch it a bit further and see if it keeps on doling out enough tasty tidbits to hold my attention.   
These "cop with troubled past moves to small town for a quieter life only to stumble upon something horrible" shows are a dime a dozen these days and aren't usually my thing, but we'll see.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 09, 2020, 03:07:32 pm »

It's a Belsh show,   

Welsh, or from part of Albania?

Edit: Also, the only cop show I've enjoyed was Cyber City Oedo.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 06:40:45 pm by Iduno »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 10, 2020, 02:15:49 am »

It's how intellectuals say "Belgian". :P

Also I'm not entirely sure what classifies as a "cop show". I've seen a few (widely varied) shows about different kinds of cops over the years that I have enjoyed, but I don't know if they count as your typical cop show. Stuff like The Wire, True Detective, Brooklyn 99, The Good Cop, etcetera... all shows with various kinds of cop as main characters, but I don't know if they follow the usual formula.   

Edit: oh, and it's got an actor (a minor one) from A Very Secret Service in it, which is a favourite show of mine.   
He'd been bugging me for a while with how familiar he looked - though he plays a fairly small role in this show as well, at least so far - and I only just now realised just where I'd seen him before, a few minutes into episode eight.   
How interesting. Are there any major differences between French French and Belgian French?   
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 05:03:20 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 10, 2020, 07:50:33 am »

It's how intellectuals say "Belgian". :P

Also I'm not entirely sure what classifies as a "cop show". I've seen a few (widely varied) shows about different kinds of cops over the years that I have enjoyed, but I don't know if they count as your typical cop show. Stuff like The Wire, True Detective, Brooklyn 99, The Good Cop, etcetera... all shows with various kinds of cop as main characters, but I don't know if they follow the usual formula.   

Edit: oh, and it's got an actor (a minor one) from A Very Secret Service in it, which is a favourite show of mine.   
He'd been bugging me for a while with how familiar he looked - though he plays a fairly small role in this show as well, at least so far - and I only just now realised just where I'd seen him before, a few minutes into episode eight.   
How interesting. Are there any major differences between French French and Belgian French?   

Yeah, cop shows are pretty much just "here are cops, shooting the bad guy, aren't they great?". There's a formula, and Brooklyn 99 is probably making fun of that, but I'd have to watch to know.

I assume there is a difference, because Belgian French is Flemish, from the (now non-existent) Flanders.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 10, 2020, 11:36:50 am »

Flemish aren't French, Flems are a kind of Germanians living there.

The French Belgians are the Waloon, from Waloonia.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 10, 2020, 11:13:51 pm »

Well, whoever they are, they can make a damn good television show.   
Also I don't think any of my favourite shows about cops fit the "cop show" descriptor after all, in that case.   

The Break is great, though. Finished the first season and it actually managed to surprise, or even shock me. And I'm pretty inured to twists. I'm kind of tempted to just jump straight into the second season, now...   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 12, 2020, 03:55:48 pm »

Anyone seen Altered Carbon S2 yet???
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 18, 2020, 06:05:41 am »

I kept watching Star Wars: Rebels despite my dislike of it, because I'm a glutton for punishment. Little did I know in the last episode of S2 they would get rid of almost everything I disliked about the series, while bringing its general style and presentation more in-line with Clone Wars. It's not great, but it's okay.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 18, 2020, 06:11:06 am »

Then you start season three and IT'S BACK WITH A VENGEANCE
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 18, 2020, 06:49:37 am »

Watched an episode of Final Space S2 despite having kinda forgotten where I was up to, but I hadn't missed much since season two honestly doesn't seem as good as the first, so far. Has its moments and is fun enough, though.   

Mostly, though, I just can't wait for Ozark season three, which drops in a few dang days or so!
Also I have season two of The Break to dip my toes in and see if it's as good, plus that weird, kinda young adult-ish Ragnarok show I've watched a few episodes of. Still not sure if I like it or not, haha.   

Oh yeah, and this is a re-watch, but the other day I tracked down and purchased a beautiful Blu-Ray copy of Danger Five, the full series. Comes with various special features and a set of postcards featuring various characters and themes from the show. Hell yes.   
If you haven't seen Danger Five, fix that. I would recommend maybe skipping the pilot for new viewers, though, since it doesn't have the dialogue and comedic timing quite as down-pat. Heck, I believe I started with Season 2, since it happened to be on the telly all those years ago when I first had my mind blown by it.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 18, 2020, 08:42:40 am »

I don't know what countries it works in, but apparently adult swim put all of Aqua Teen Hunger Force on their website for free to keep people home.

It's a comedy about 3 detectives who are a shake, an order of french fries, and a wad of meat. Watch as they face off against enemies like each other, their neighbor Carl who doesn't want them in his pool/life, stupid aliens from the moon who want to break stuff, a sandwich, and a time traveling turkey who might be lying about the time traveling and the turkey parts of that description.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 23, 2020, 01:27:22 am »

Beastars on Netflix. I'm on episode 3. The gender politics and metaphors are totally fucked, but it's hilarious. I can't believe Netflix deadass co-produced an anime R-rated Zootopia.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 67