Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 105301 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #435 on: January 29, 2020, 05:50:11 am »

Has anyone here seen the Watchmen series and care to share opinions? Is that like a sequel or an independent retelling?
I've only seen the Snyder film, and loved it (fite me), for what it's worth.

The movie was a pretty close representation of the original comics, with one significant difference.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The new series follows the comic book version, and is set some years in the future. It reveals some interesting history of the original masked crime fighters, and brings closure to Veidt and Manhattan, while also introducing a new generation of characters.

The series has enjoyed generally very positive critical reception. Personally I had some minor issues with the choice of storytelling mechanisms, but otherwise enjoyed the story and appreciated the general quality of the show.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 29, 2020, 06:09:07 am »

Yeah, the movie version is one of the few Synder films where he wasn't detrimental to the adaptation of the thing. Not sure if it was because of the source material being a bit different in nature to most comic books he tried doing later on so it took to his particular approach a bit better or if there was more at play there.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 29, 2020, 06:13:13 am »

He likely had other people reigning him in more at that point. The "no you can't have a psychic giant squid, that's silly, people will laugh" decision is probably the best adaption improvement decision in Hollywood history, I refuse to believe Snyder "I will rape Batman" McSnyderson was capable of that kind of good judgement.
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 29, 2020, 01:53:07 pm »

I'm getting around to watching Dark Angel in my free time. Pretty good so far.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 29, 2020, 02:32:40 pm »

...The one from the early 00's? Or did they remake it? Or is it another one with the same name?
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 29, 2020, 04:47:22 pm »

...The one from the early 00's? Or did they remake it? Or is it another one with the same name?

Yeah, I'm not exactly on the bleeding edge of media.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 29, 2020, 07:22:41 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Angel
Dark Angel may refer to:

The Dark Angel (1925 film), a silent film starring Ronald Colman and Vilma Banky, now a lost film
The Dark Angel (1935 film), a film starring Fredric March and Merle Oberon
Dark Angel (1990 film), or I Come in Peace, a science fiction thriller featuring Dolph Lundgren
Dark Angel: The Ascent, a 1994 film starring Angela Featherstone
Dark Angel (1996 film), a TV detective film starring Eric Roberts
Bettie Page: Dark Angel, a 2004 biographical film
"Dark Angel", a 2009 short film tribute to Sophie Lancaster

Dark Angel (2000 TV series), an American science fiction series starring Jessica Alba
Dark Angel (2016 TV series), a British true crime television mini-series
"Dark Angel", a 1972 episode of Kung Fu
The Dark Angel, a 1987 UK serial based on Uncle Silas by J. Sheridan Le Fanu

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 30, 2020, 06:48:55 am »

I liked it a lot when it went (I was in the early teenish years, don't remember what years it aired in Sweden. Thinking back I still think the environment design was top for it's time. I'm very rose-tinted-glassedly about it. Jessica Alba might have something to do with that.

As for tv-series of my own, I watched My Brilliant Friend, the adaption of the book by that Italian Pseudonym (Ferrante?). Enjoyed it greatly, fantastic time piece and great acting. It's definitely worth a check out -- it's HBO length, so I think it was 8 episodes.
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 30, 2020, 11:47:50 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Angel
Dark Angel may refer to:

The Dark Angel (1925 film), a silent film starring Ronald Colman and Vilma Banky, now a lost film
The Dark Angel (1935 film), a film starring Fredric March and Merle Oberon
Dark Angel (1990 film), or I Come in Peace, a science fiction thriller featuring Dolph Lundgren
Dark Angel: The Ascent, a 1994 film starring Angela Featherstone
Dark Angel (1996 film), a TV detective film starring Eric Roberts
Bettie Page: Dark Angel, a 2004 biographical film
"Dark Angel", a 2009 short film tribute to Sophie Lancaster

Dark Angel (2000 TV series), an American science fiction series starring Jessica Alba
Dark Angel (2016 TV series), a British true crime television mini-series
"Dark Angel", a 1972 episode of Kung Fu
The Dark Angel, a 1987 UK serial based on Uncle Silas by J. Sheridan Le Fanu

Even narrowing it down to TV shows, there are 3 series with that name. Impressive.

I liked it a lot when it went (I was in the early teenish years, don't remember what years it aired in Sweden. Thinking back I still think the environment design was top for it's time. I'm very rose-tinted-glassedly about it. Jessica Alba might have something to do with that.

I think it actually is good quality. I can imagine they ran out of stories and the last season is probably uneven (as it is with these things), but until then it is entertaining.

Other thoughts: Chuck D did the intro. Also, "It's okay Eric. You saved my life and gave me a case of motor oil. I can honestly say no man has ever done so much."

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 06, 2020, 10:25:04 am »

I just finished watching Marvel's Runaways.

It's a mashup of a bunch of different themes, none of which are executed well. The story manages to be just okay, but is marred by poor casting choices and some really bad dialogue.
Hard to recommend this one...but it's far from the worst TV show Marvel has made recently.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 06, 2020, 10:51:22 am »

Inhumans inhumifies?

Was that one dropped after the first season?
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 27, 2020, 11:20:42 am »

Anyone watching the Picard show? Is it any good?

I just finished watching Marvel's Runaways.

It's a mashup of a bunch of different themes, none of which are executed well. The story manages to be just okay, but is marred by poor casting choices and some really bad dialogue.
Hard to recommend this one...but it's far from the worst TV show Marvel has made recently.

I loved Lita Ford in that.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 27, 2020, 11:33:50 am »

Haven’t watched Picard but I’ve been following Red Letter Media’s take on it.

Basically it’s not Star Trek to them. It’s the Star Trek universe recast in a dystopian, grim dark, edgy, action-oriented fashion, complete with concepts like Fate, Destiny and maybe even a touch of magic. Ridiculous plot threads dry humping TNG plots in implausible ways. The federation is now some unenlightened, class-warfare based society where black characters come after Picard for being white and privileged.....it’s basically the same edgy, woke garbage you can find almost anywhere else now, with a hefty dollop of high production action scenes.

It’s nothing like any other Star Trek in terms of themes and motivations. Honestly the most interesting part of it is watching a very aged Patrick Stewart try and keep up.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:29:18 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 27, 2020, 05:46:53 pm »

We talked a bit about Picard on the previous page of this thread.

I've been watching and enjoying it. Yeah, it's not the classic Trek's, despite bringing back the actors from those shows; but it's a respectable tribute to what came before, while trying to move forward.

I have to disagree with some of what Nenjin said. There are action scenes, but they don't try to carry the show any more than in the classic Trek's. The Federation has become corrupted, but it's ideals were always flawed, and it makes perfect sense to me that it would eventually struggle because of those flaws. I don't really see the racist and 'woke' aspects at all. I will admit that some of the plot threads are a bit ridiculous though, particularly in regards to the AI's...but Trek science does stretch suspension of disbelief at times, so I give it a pass.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 28, 2020, 11:27:15 am »

I don't really find recasting Star Trek in to the same "all our entertainment needs to bum us out and be awful just like the real world is" mode a respectful tribute. I think this generation of writers just doesn't know how to do anything any other way. They don't know how do to anything without making it about evil governments, gender and race politics and "Fate". It was the same shit with Star Wars. Take something people liked, cram as much politics and agenda in to it as possible, then be confused why you lost your audience.

FWIW, older Star Trek dealt with all these issues but it did it from the outside looking in as a way to explore our own real life issues through the lens of an enlightened culture. "We" were the alien cultures with problems and issues to be resolved, the Federation was our detached, enlightened way of coming to understand ourselves.

That kind of subtlety is gone. And for the record, the entire scene from the rooftop fight is 17 minutes.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 04:50:08 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 67