Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 105231 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #330 on: September 12, 2019, 06:00:50 am »

Saw the first season of Carnival Row. I like it, it's decent enough, has an interesting world and some characters but it also has some major flaws, mostly in how certain things are written and certain people cast.

Girl playing Vignette is absolutely dreadful, while the actress has those large expressive eyes she simply cannoct act with her face to save her life and most of the show she's either in lifeless stare or some sort of rage modes with nothing inbetween. Similarly the Dahlia actress has the wierdest way of speaking, it might be an intentional quirk of character but to me it felt more like the actress had no idea what sort of accent she should be going for so it ends up all over the damn place.

Bloom was brilliant tho, even tho his initial gruff voice act was a bit odd.

And now some spoiler stuff that bugged me:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All that said, I'm interested in where they take S2 so there's that.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 14, 2019, 04:24:07 am »

I watched the first two and a bit episodes of Frontier (don't ask me why, I guess I've been playing a fair bit of Red Dead Redemption 2 lately, plus I saw the trailer which made it look more interesting than I remembered) and wow, it was even worse than I first imagined.
"Dumpster fire" is the quickest way to describe it. A shame, since the setting could have been interesting... why do all historical TV shows tend to be utter garbage? I guess anything approaching realism doesn't make for good ratings. :(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 15, 2019, 10:01:23 pm »

I've finished the second episode of The Dark Crystal:Age of Resistance. It's great so far.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 16, 2019, 03:39:42 pm »

I love me some Dark Crystal but after watching some promos, it seems more like a reboot than a sequel. That sound about right?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 16, 2019, 03:42:13 pm »

It's a prequel. It's great, too. Far superior to the original.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 16, 2019, 03:43:42 pm »

It's a prequel. It's great, too. Far superior to the original.

That's a pretty tall claim. Especially with the way things get made today.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 16, 2019, 04:06:40 pm »

Have you rewatched the original recently, though? It's very flawed in the story department, so surpassing it is not that hard, really. This one has pretty much the same level of marvellous puppetry, but with sufficient running time to build the world up and tell a tale. It's got solid direction and inventive camera work (both by the guy who made the Transporter films, of all choices).
As one watches it, it's obviously apparent that everyone involved cared a lot about what they were doing and about honouring Henson's legacy. They even hired a few of the old crew.
The 'making of' doc is almost as fun to watch as the series itself. Also, there must have been some serious cash thrown at the project.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 16, 2019, 04:55:06 pm »

I'll admit I suffer from nostalgia when it compares to modern takes. I don't remember any problems with the original story. Sure it wasn't as detailed as a miniseries but of late I honestly feel that sometimes, less is more. The way stories were told versus how they are told today can amount to a big difference in the same universe. Show vs. tell, all that stuff. I may get around to watching it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 16, 2019, 05:37:54 pm »

I'm liking Arrow a lot. Season 1 is basically Batman Begins, except done right
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 17, 2019, 01:49:19 am »

Scrubs uses so many sound effects I recognize from Daggerfall that it's actually a bit distracting. I've recognized quite a few random spell sounds and the skeleton scream so far.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 20, 2019, 09:02:12 pm »

I started watching Unbelievable after reading glowing reviews. I get the noble intent in spotlighting the subject matter, but the execution is so heavy-handed, it's barely on par with CSI-grade police procedurals. How did it get to 96% on RT is bamboozling.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 21, 2019, 02:57:23 pm »

I’ve been watching Steven Universe recently, after someone I know started watching the episodes out of order while I was in the room, and now I need to know all the missing context. I’ve learned very quickly that everyone has an opinion of this show though, so to avoid debate, I now have to avoid telling people my own opinion. Quite the show.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 22, 2019, 04:41:59 am »

I'll admit I suffer from nostalgia when it compares to modern takes. I don't remember any problems with the original story. Sure it wasn't as detailed as a miniseries but of late I honestly feel that sometimes, less is more. The way stories were told versus how they are told today can amount to a big difference in the same universe. Show vs. tell, all that stuff. I may get around to watching it.

Note that at the time, most reviews of The Dark Crystal were basically "it's shit, don't watch it". You can find good reviews of it, but those are all 20 years or so after the release. Jim Henson made it and basically went "well I won't be making any more of those" due to the negative response. Then he made Labyrinth, which addressed a lot of the specific criticisms of The Dark Crystal, and they didn't like that one even more. The Dark Crystal at least made money at the box office, but Labyrinth didn't turn a profit. So he listened to the critics then lost money because of it. So at this point Henson's like "fuck this shit. I'm going back to TV".

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/12/17/movies/henson-s-crystal.html
A lot of obvious effort has gone into this solemn fairy tale, but all of it has been devoted to the complicated technical problems involved in making a film mostly with animated puppets. The screenplay by David Odell, based on a story by Mr. Henson, is without any narrative drive whatever. It's without charm as well as interest.
Most surprising is the lack of either humor or wit, especially in the designs for the mythical creatures. More than anything else, they seem inefficient, as if no order of evolution could ever have thrown them up, even in an off millennium.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 22, 2019, 01:30:49 pm »

I recently finished the new Dark Crystal.

Story is slow at first, then eventually warms up to 'interesting' but doesn't really go any further than that. The best things I can say about this series is that it has a unique and creative aesthetic, both in terms of visuals as well as worldbuilding. Having never watched the original, everything was very much fresh and new to me and unlike anything else I've seen.

I'll be keeping my eye out for a season 2 if it happens, but I'm withholding my hype.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 22, 2019, 03:34:39 pm »

To be fair, animatronics have always been a pain in the ass. The guy who made Gremlins didn't want to make Gremlins 2 for exactly the same reason, the puppets were so difficult to work with.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 67