Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 105292 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #180 on: October 16, 2018, 06:33:30 pm »

American version is about an amoral manipulator abusing their power to sexually assault their underlings, makes Kevin Spacey's performance rather more horrifying in hindsight

Emphasis on more horrifying. It was unpleasant and creepy even before all this stuff came out. Now it looks a little like the Kevin Spacey fantasy hour, knowing what we know.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 16, 2018, 06:53:38 pm »

So now I've seen TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and all the movies up to 2002. Time to take a break from Trek.

All of that, and you're not going to start watching Discovery or Orville? Or are you waiting for each series to be completed before you watch?

I don't have any services to watch those without pirating them, and pirating airing TV shows is too much effort for little gain.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 17, 2018, 12:03:11 am »

American version is about an amoral manipulator abusing their power to sexually assault their underlings, makes Kevin Spacey's performance rather more horrifying in hindsight

Literally? Well, shit.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 17, 2018, 08:31:19 pm »

I'm watching How I Met Your Mother now. Started watching it with a girlfriend on TV. We broke up though so I never saw past about season 3. The hook of who the effing mother is kinda bugs me so I'm going to finish it. It's actually brilliant from a marketing point of view to make the entire show be about something that hasn't even happened in the show yet. The typical sitcom is just about a static situation but HIMYM has a story dynamic built in.

What strikes me about this shows is that it's kinda like the last big Gen-X sitcom series. Some people call it a show for Millennials but it really isn't. The culture in that show is definitely pre-internet. Their main form of mass-media is TV ffs. And characters worrying about turning 30 in circa 2005 is not a show about the millennial generation. By the end of season 9 in 2014 the characters would be edging towards 40 years old.

It's about a bunch of tail-end Gen X people moving on from the party days and thinking about settling down. Things like the constant references to 1980s TV shows (Who's The Boss referenced in the episode I just saw), and the fact that the internet is still kinda treated as a novelty in that show (Robin's teenage sister noted to be blogging on MySpace) really cements it as being Gen-X.

The Big Bang Theory would be the Millennial equivalent.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:03:11 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #184 on: October 18, 2018, 01:45:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anon's summary of new doctor who has me intrigued

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 18, 2018, 01:53:09 pm »

AHS: Apocalypse is... interesting so far. It's like they mashed together the ideas of several seasons.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 23, 2018, 03:36:28 pm »

I finished watching Daredevil Season 3.

The season started out a bit weak, with no suit and no special effects and a lot of moping as Daredevil recovered from injuries in the previous season. Things really picked up when Kingpin's plan started coming together, and there ended up being lots of surprising twists and several good fight scenes. Then the ending was a bit disappointing, with an unbelievable compromise being reached which never should have worked. Still, overall an enjoyable season.

Sadly, Marvel's Netflix series have been dropping fast lately, with both Iron Fist and Luke Cage being canceled. So there's a very real possibility this will be the end of Daredevil as well.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 23, 2018, 03:53:55 pm »

I can't believe they dropped Iron Fist.  Especially since it ended with fricking kickass chi-guns and gave me a nerd-boner.

I'm rewatching Castlevania on netflix in preparation for season 2 on friday. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 23, 2018, 09:26:58 pm »

Started watching Hilda on netflix.

It's adorable, that is all.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 27, 2018, 05:27:47 am »

Apparently there was a huge drop in the viewer numbers on episode 3 of the new Dr Who season:
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/doctor-who-season-11-ratings/

A 40% drop in the core demographic between episodes 2 and 3. In previous seasons the biggest drop between any two consecutive episodes was about half of that. Now the current Dr Who ratings are already back into the range of the weak 2017 season.
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/doctor-who-season-10-ratings/

Also, while the idea is nice to have a Rosa Parks episode, the entire premise seems a bit ... racist in the "great white savior" sort of paternalistic way. Time-traveling (mostly) white people have to make sure the Rosa Parks incident occurs properly. GTFO.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 05:33:14 am by Reelya »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 27, 2018, 07:00:36 am »

i've heard good things about the female doctor, makes me happy. she reminds me of 11, which was my favourite doc so i'm onboard for that shit

more importantly, i've been watching my cat from hell the most important show ever made
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2018, 09:01:27 am »

Also, while the idea is nice to have a Rosa Parks episode, the entire premise seems a bit ... racist in the "great white savior" sort of paternalistic way. Time-traveling (mostly) white people have to make sure the Rosa Parks incident occurs properly. GTFO.

Only half of them are white.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2018, 08:42:16 pm »

Honestly, I got tired of the whole "It was terrible for black people" getting smashed over my head constantly, and quit the episode halfway through.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 27, 2018, 08:50:39 pm »

The main one is white. Arguing that only half of them are white so it's not racist is like arguing that the Doctor's companion is a woman so having a male Doctor all the time is not sexist. Fact is, a white (male or female) Doctor has no place setting up the Rosa Parks incident any more than a male Doctor would be ok to go back and save the Suffragette movement.

Honestly, I got tired of the whole "It was terrible for black people" getting smashed over my head constantly, and quit the episode halfway through.

Yeah,  one of the articles I read was saying that previous episodes had touched on racism, but now we get a proper entire episode about racism. Sounded like complete overkill, and very preachy. Also, presenting a specific group as always being victims all the time, and nothing good or happy happening, ever, can in fact diminish the fact of how resilient those people really were.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 09:04:02 pm by Reelya »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 27, 2018, 10:50:06 pm »

(mostly) white people...
The main one is white. Arguing that only half of them are white so it's not racist...

I think he was arguing that half does not constitute a majority.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 67