Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 105298 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #165 on: October 13, 2018, 09:20:52 pm »

Watched a couple episodes of a show called Maniac the other day. Very... interesting.
I think I'd need to watch more to really get into it, but it menaces with spikes of psychology, drug use and is adorned with hanging rings of Vaporwave. The setting is pretty much fascinating, though I didn't get much of a feel for it. The show doesn't hesitate to go off on seemingly-bizarre tangents.

It's apparently by that guy with the name that sounds like a string of cuss words, who worked on True Detective and probably some other shit.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 14, 2018, 12:14:23 am »

Maniac is very fun, but also frustrating. It often stumbles, hitting the wrong notes, which keeps it from being great. I couldn't quite put my finger on whether it's the writing or the direction that's the issue.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 14, 2018, 07:42:37 pm »

New Doctor Who is good.

Spooky evil!therapist bandages of death = most hilarious DW villain ever.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #168 on: October 14, 2018, 08:15:50 pm »

New Doctor Who is good.

New Doctor Who worth looking into? I started with Christopher Ecclestone (pretty fuckin good one), David Tenant (obviously the best), didn't watch Matt Smith or the specials then (real life time constraints more than anything), got back into it for Peter Capaldi (Ehhhh... Either I grew less forgiving or the writing of the show declined. Heaven Sent blew me the fuck out however). When I saw they had a femme Doctor for the new season I was concerned that they were going to be gimmicky on the casting, but then I realised that they got Whittaker, who I saw from Attack the Block when it came out, and I think she's perfect for DW's range of high sci fi in council flats style. Attack the Block is fucking great, it's also one of those films where you can see loads of actors like Boyega before they became super famous

Anyways what I'm asking is the new seasons any gud, if yes or no y so

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 14, 2018, 09:15:01 pm »

I'm not a fan of the current Dr Who season.
Season premiere had lame aliens, weak special effects, and did very little for the greater story arc of the season. The bicycle thing was super cringy. And I couldn't understand half of what was said because of thick accents. Also, we apparently have three companions this season, and none of them are fun or interesting in any way.
Second episode was utterly predictable. 5 minutes in I called everything that unfolded over the rest of the episode. And why is the new TARDIS a giant beehive?

In other TV news, Titans recently began. It's a live-action version of DC's Teen Titans.
Starfire is an absolute travesty. Apparently someone decided that the young cute naive orange alien girl should be played by an old fat black french whore who has amnesia. Probably the most popular character from the series, and they completely ruined her.
Beastboy was just thrown into the mix with no backstory, when clearly he is the character who needs backstory the most. Hopefully they will address this with some flashbacks, and not just leave him as the unexplained comedy relief of the show.
Raven is a bit different. In past iterations she tends to be a broody girl who has found balance with her demonic side. Here she's more of a nice girl who is haunted by a demon who occasionally comes out to paint the walls red. It will take some getting used to, but I think it could work.
Robin is pretty much exactly what you would expect. They've kinda merged a few of the different Robin's together, but it's nothing terribly new.
Overall, I'm cautiously hopeful for the future of this show.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #170 on: October 14, 2018, 09:16:34 pm »

Is Titans at least enjoyably bad, a la "Fuck Batman?"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 14, 2018, 09:43:44 pm »

I'm not a fan of the current Dr Who season.
Season premiere had lame aliens, weak special effects, and did very little for the greater story arc of the season. The bicycle thing was super cringy. And I couldn't understand half of what was said because of thick accents. Also, we apparently have three companions this season, and none of them are fun or interesting in any way.
Second episode was utterly predictable. 5 minutes in I called everything that unfolded over the rest of the episode. And why is the new TARDIS a giant beehive?

Notably, on Rotten tomatoes 95% of critics are in favor however only 63% of the audience is positive. My guess is that no critic would be willing to ruin their own career by saying they didn't enjoy it, and thus getting bombed on social media about it.

I'm not sold on the concept. The main question I'd have is whether this is going to hit the core demographic that they think it will. My take on this sort of thing is that looking across 50 years worth of television and movies gives a pretty good idea of the types of things that are actually popular with women and hitting those points pretty much ensures you have a hit - that's behind things like Twilight and 50 Shades' success. Meanwhile, women will also tune into to see a cute guy or two doing adventures, and guys will also watch as well which explains the phenomenal success with women of things like Supernatural or all those detective shows, despite, or perhaps because of their male lead characters.

However, a small subset of women - the 9% of women who identify as feminists on the UK suveys think they know better than the 91% of women what those women should like, so they push for "agendas" in media that's already popular with women. Hey, maybe think for a moment that if only 9% of women identify with your ideas, and a particular show is already popular with women, then changing it in accordance with your statistically unpopular ideas might just backfire and turn more women off the show?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:54:50 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #172 on: October 14, 2018, 09:54:32 pm »

I always find it intriguing yet disturbing whenever publicly liking or disliking something is a commercial and politically significant act

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 14, 2018, 10:01:07 pm »

Yeah, saying that you don't like the first female Doctor is like saying 'I hate feminism'. Very few real critics will be willing to poke that hornet's nest.

I have no issues with the actress or her performance. My beef is with the script and supporting cast. The season premiere was literally 'Toothface and his pet flying spaghetti monster hunt humans for sport'. Dr Who is supposed to be campy bad, but this is just stupid bad.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #174 on: October 14, 2018, 10:03:24 pm »

Yeah, saying that you don't like the first female Doctor is like saying 'I hate feminism'. Very few real critics will be willing to poke that hornet's nest.

I have no issues with the actress or her performance. My beef is with the script and supporting cast. The season premiere was literally 'Toothface and his pet flying spaghetti monster hunt humans for sport'. Dr Who is supposed to be campy bad, but this is just stupid bad.
Reminds me of one of the Tenant ones where the enemy was literally a CGI scribble ball. Hopefully it's anomalous

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 15, 2018, 11:22:17 am »

New Doctor Who is good.

New Doctor Who worth looking into? I started with Christopher Ecclestone (pretty fuckin good one), David Tenant (obviously the best), didn't watch Matt Smith or the specials then (real life time constraints more than anything), got back into it for Peter Capaldi (Ehhhh... Either I grew less forgiving or the writing of the show declined. Heaven Sent blew me the fuck out however). When I saw they had a femme Doctor for the new season I was concerned that they were going to be gimmicky on the casting, but then I realised that they got Whittaker, who I saw from Attack the Block when it came out, and I think she's perfect for DW's range of high sci fi in council flats style. Attack the Block is fucking great, it's also one of those films where you can see loads of actors like Boyega before they became super famous

Anyways what I'm asking is the new seasons any gud, if yes or no y so

I think it's a lot better than previous seasons so far, love that they went proper Northern with it. Whittaker's Doctor seems pretty Tennant-ish so far but I get the feeling that it's sort of a mask from the 2nd episode. It's really weird not having Murray Gold do the soundtrack but the new one is surprisingly good tbh.

Also crystal tardis is best tardis. IT HAS A CUSTARD CREAM DISPENSER.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2018, 04:28:03 pm »

Also crystal tardis is best tardis. IT HAS A CUSTARD CREAM DISPENSER.
Teletubbies crossover wen?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 16, 2018, 05:13:29 pm »

Finally finished Star Trek up to Enterprise. Enterprise wasn't actually *too* bad considering I went in expecting it to be really bad. Definitely had its moments. I especially liked the Mirror Universe plotline in the 4th season (however those are only really fun if you know what the characters are like normally). So now I've seen TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and all the movies up to 2002. Time to take a break from Trek. My Trek marathon started in mid-2014, and I'm pretty sure all that adds up to somewhere around 700? episodes worth of material.

After that I've caught up a couple of other old shows I wanted to watch for ages. Twitch City is an "anti-sitcom" from Canada that was around in 1998-2000. It's a bit similar in concept to the BBC comedy Spaced, though the tone and humor are quite different. I'd recommend both those shows if you like quirky unusual comedies.

Now I'm going to watch the 1978 TV series Quark. It's a single-season Star Trek parody that was created by one of the creators of Get Smart. After that, I'm going to watch the UK version of House of Cards from circa 1990. I never saw past the first season of that originally. I guess it sucks for a lot of people that the Kevin Spacy stuff happened before the remake was finished, and that whole debacle doesn't incline me towards checking out the American version whatsoever.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 05:23:40 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #178 on: October 16, 2018, 05:16:34 pm »

American version is about an amoral manipulator abusing their power to sexually assault their underlings, makes Kevin Spacey's performance rather more horrifying in hindsight

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 16, 2018, 05:42:24 pm »

So now I've seen TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and all the movies up to 2002. Time to take a break from Trek.

All of that, and you're not going to start watching Discovery or Orville? Or are you waiting for each series to be completed before you watch?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 67