Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 105288 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2018, 03:45:38 pm »

hey i found a thread i can bomb netflix shows in

loving altered carbon, it reminds me of a sci fi movie that i just can't get to gel right now. blade runner? not quite but it does have elements of good ol' blade runner in terms of environment and tone. it also gets a bit strange at points (wtf r u doin, poe?!) but it does it with this sort of camp that i can't quite explain. it also uses it's own setting for great jokes: the basic premise is that humans can swap bodies and live forever cuz we dl' our brains into these disks in our necks. so how do you invite your 120 year old, long dead grandma to a birthday party? you get her a middle age skinhead body! i wont spoil anymore, just give the show a chance. plenty of nudity, i give it a solid 8/10.

also on teh block is GLOW. goddamn that brings back good memories. im a early 90's/late 80's kid; from that weird time in 1994 when i remember my sister still liking new kids on the block and wearing aviators without hipster flair. and of course wrestlin'. i remember my older brother had actually recorded most episodes of the original GLOW. god it was shitty quality but amazing. anyone remember little egypt? how about big bad mama? or mt.fuji? there was this one amazing match between matilda the hun where mt.fuji actually manages to lift matilda. matilda probably weighed like 300 pounds back then.
the show captures all of what made that great; the preparation, the threadbare budget and casting, and it tells a fictionalized version of what really happened with identifiable expys of the original glow girls. also we get to see alison brie's tits: gg, 9/10.

and finally the last kingdom. if you've played the warband dlc: viking conquest, you're dead on for setting and time. its set in the 800's during the times of wessex, mercia and vikings of northumbria and danmark. its surprisingly good, the first few episodes feel a little low budget but that somehow fits with the setting. this was the time of petty kings and constant danger for anyone not a lord. it starts with the personal issues of Uthred of bebbenburg; one of the 3 christian kingdoms in northhumbria before they get taken over by the danes. it then shifts into a grand overarching story about the guy who would become King Alfred, the Great. as the show picks up steam, we get to see some fairly realistic portrayals of how things were back then, with the big battles taking place between 2 shield walls instead of just a bunch of dudes crashing into each other in barely a formation. moderately light nudity that fades as the series gets more serious. can't decide between 8 or 9, so 8.5/10.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2018, 04:42:13 pm »

i remember my older brother had actually recorded most episodes of the original GLOW.
Holy shit, that was based on an actual wrestling show?
Go home, America. You're drunk.

BTW, I managed to get past the first episode of Altered Carbon. Got stuck on the second. Obviously it works for some people, but I'm just not buying it. It has this feel to it like it would all kinda work in the book version, where suspension of disbelief tends to be easier. But on film everything but the visuals feels threadbare, and the silly is shining through.
The actor playing the main character, though - that physique is seriously crazy.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2018, 04:54:46 pm »

indeed it was; try searching glow on netflix, you'll get the show with alison brie and a biography about glow. watch that biography, it's pretty neat.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2018, 10:26:50 pm »

Decided to scratch my doctor who itch with broadchurch, and I've only watched the first episode so far, but it's looking great.

As for Altered Carbon, the show was great, but there's one issue with the immortality system. Where do the new bodies come from? There's only so many criminals to go around.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2018, 11:53:55 pm »

It's implied that there really aren't enough bodies to go around, with people renting out their sleeves for various reasons, and a lot of people's stacks just gathering dust in some warehouse or with their families. Of course, conventional birth is still a thing, cloning, synthetic bodies, and other things that are mentioned. Real death. I.E. Stacks getting blown out.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2018, 11:23:49 am »

I think i might have mentioned it in another thread, but also Ash vs evil dead is on my list. Its an incredible throwback sequel series to the movies with bruce campbell reprising his role as ash. Srsly, if u liked the movies (even just army of darkness), give at least the first episode a try

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2018, 03:23:50 am »

I've jumped up the Dragon Ball Super bandwagon when it start two years or so ago. Please don't judge  :D, anyway it has become my sunday morning ritual and that's cool because given their release schedule apparantly that stereotype about the japanese overworking themselves must be true... But I also get how hard it has to be to watch 150 of these in a row.

Now what I wanted to say: I like how their persistent use of music has gained so much meaning over time now when I hear those tacky mainthemes pop up at an epic moment it's like BOOOM.
let

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 04, 2018, 05:09:51 am »

apparantly that stereotype about the japanese overworking themselves must be true...

Heh, reminds me of this baseball anime (Diamond no Ace: Ace of Diamond) I watched that was meant to run for 6 months. Then, it got bumped to 12 months, then to 18 months. And then on the final episode they said "stay tuned for Season 2! Which starts next week".

At this point, however, the animators had clearly had enough. Season 2 started with three recap episodes back-to-back, which I've never seen anyone do before. Basically, even the hardworking Japanese animators were demanding holidays at that point, but the network wouldn't let them take any sort of break with the show because of the huge amount of money it was bringing in with advertising.

To compare, Dragon Ball Super (which I'm not up with, I'm not a DBZ type person) has 131 episodes in 143 weeks of runtime, whereas Ace of Diamond produced 126 episodes, but in only 130 weeks. It's one of the longest animes I've watched - but by accident, since I started it on the understanding that it was going to be a fairly short show :/
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:17:53 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2018, 09:29:25 am »

That is pretty crazy.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2018, 10:41:12 am »

After all that talk about Altered Carbon - if somebody wants to see a properly done cyberpunk film on Netflix, go watch 'Mute'. It's a new feature film by Duncan Jones.

(Holy shit, how in the world is this only 12% on Rotten Tomatoes?)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:43:41 am by Il Palazzo »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2018, 12:26:54 pm »

I'm looking forward the the witcher show that's going to be on netflix, but I think that the show should be animated instead of live action (just worried about the cgi for the monsters being garbage or very uncanny)
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2018, 12:49:41 pm »

Can't wait for them to bring out Water world next XD

Lost in Space does not have a great track record for reboots, but I think a Water World TV show could be okay!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2018, 01:52:27 pm »

I'm looking forward the the witcher show that's going to be on netflix, but I think that the show should be animated instead of live action (just worried about the cgi for the monsters being garbage or very uncanny)
Just watch the 2002 Polish tv series first, and you'll appreciate as high art any crap that's not literally a rubber basilisk.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2018, 03:21:46 pm »

Season 2 started with three recap episodes back-to-back, which I've never seen anyone do before.
The only thing that comes to mind is the Endless Eight, which will likely never be surpassed as an example of just how lazy Japanese animators can be.

In other news, I recently started watching Black Lightning. Big surprise, it's about a black superhero fighting for racial justice in a black neighborhood being oppressed by white assholes.
Other than this predictable and utterly worn-out premise, the show is fairly average among other superhero shows currently being produced. I feel like the vocal music is entirely excessive, playing loudly in every scene, but other than that it's totally watchable.

The second half of The Tick season 1 was recently released. Spoiler Alert: Tick is not a robot.
There was some criticism, mostly that it failed to live up to expectations set by the original cartoon, and I can understand that. Still, on the whole, I enjoyed the show and hope for renewal. EDIT: I just checked, Amazon has green-lit The Tick for season 2! ETA 2019.

Counterpart. It's a show about a universe that split into two timelines, with the division occurring relatively recently. One side is basically identical to our real world. The other side has suffered some harsh setbacks in recent decades, leaving them less developed technologically and economically, and making them somewhat jealous and suspicious of our side, and resulting in spies and assassins being sent across. The show dramatically reveals stories of various individuals, their histories, motives, and experiences. Some viewers have given the show rave reviews, claiming it's the best thing on TV right now. Personally, I find the episodes extremely hit-or-miss. Some episodes just bore me...but others can be very interesting.

The Opposition. I binge watched episodes from recent months, and now look forward to the new episodes most weeknights. It's basically Comedy Central's long overdue response to The Colbert Report ending.
Comedy Central has been going downhill ever since they lost Colbert. Jon Stewart bailed on The Daily Show, then Nightly Show bombed, then they lost Chris Hardwick and for a while it looked like the channel would never recover. But now they finally have something humorous in their lineup again.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 67