Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 104821 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #960 on: November 17, 2023, 10:14:06 pm »

I just finished watching the second season of Good Omens, after rewatching the first season since it's been a while and I hardly remembered what happened.

This season suffered from a really underwhelming main arc. The first season had the whole antichrist ushering in the apocalypse arc, with major stakes to keep me engaged. Second season had an Archangel lose his memory, and spend the whole season faffing about a bookshop while people wondered wtf was wrong with him. There was no real danger, and barely any progression of the mystery.

Aside from that however, the sideshow angels and demons returned with banter every bit as amusing as the first season. And the finale teed up a third season, which has not yet been officially announced but seems to be highly expected. This was far from my favorite show in recent times, but I'll certainly return if they do.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: November 17, 2023, 10:17:39 pm »

Just finished that last night myself.

I personally enjoyed the nod to Pratchett with the bit about seamstresses.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 08, 2023, 02:10:52 pm »

The Winter King reimagines King Arthur, his Round Table, legendary sword Excalibur, Wizard Merlin, and so forth. The Saxons are invading, but the kings of Britain can't stop fighting each other long enough to mount a defense. Will Arthur be able to unite them? Or is he destined to rise above them all? Only time will tell...

I enjoyed the first season well enough. Though if I had to list one complaint, it would be that this show feels very much like any of the other myriad early-Britain war shows and movies we've seen many times before.

No second season announced yet, but I'm optimistic.

AppleTV's Silo gives me major Snowpiercer vibes. A mini-civilization shoved into a very confined space where mysteries abound surrounding their origins and the activities of their leadership. Then a nobody from the Dregs is suddenly lifted up to assume a law-enforcement role, giving them opportunity to begin unraveling these mysteries, which naturally arouses the ire of the shadowy figures pulling all the strings.

There are some clever misleads that kept me guessing throughout the season, right up to the very end. Second season has been approved, and although the Writer's Strike caused a delay we still hope to see it come out sometime in 2024. I'm looking forward to more Silo!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #963 on: December 10, 2023, 07:37:02 am »

Does the Winter King do that annoying thing where they add blue filters to just suck all the colour and life out of anything that's supposed to resemble Britain

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 10, 2023, 09:39:58 am »

Does the Winter King do that annoying thing where they add blue filters to just suck all the colour and life out of anything that's supposed to resemble Britain
are there any series that does not have a blue filter ?
seems to me every series or movies i have watched on a tv in the last 10 years have used a blue filter, though some have the blue filter setup more potent than other.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 10, 2023, 09:43:51 am »

are there any series that does not have a blue filter ?
seems to me every series or movies i have watched on a tv in the last 10 years have used a blue filter, though some have the blue filter setup more potent than other.
10 years is limiting, but I'm pretty sure there's still black and white series being made out there, somewhere. They wouldn't use a blue filter by dint of not using blue at all :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 10, 2023, 10:10:44 am »

Forgot that there's also a yellow filter used on the some series/movies, even more annoying to me than the blue one.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #967 on: December 10, 2023, 11:28:14 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thick orange filters for classical med or indian ocean shows, thick blue filter for medieval north sea shows. I know there's also the meme of any mexican scene hit with the yellow filter

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 10, 2023, 12:12:01 pm »

but I'm pretty sure there's still black and white series being made out there, somewhere. They wouldn't use a blue filter by dint of not using blue at all :V
Well, they use red, green and blue filters, then..!;)

(Yeah, I know that's not true. Although, in fact using <hue>-filters in front of monochrome film-stock/recording equipment, or preprocessing prior to the zero-saturation conversion, can be a very useful way of highlighting/supressing key features that you can't do once you're in the luminosity-only model and which would make the non-greyscale version look positively weird. Or indeed do it with physical lighting/colouring that makes things look weird (red mascara and eyeliner to get the desired deepest-black on old film stock, seemingly moreso than the actual black).

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 13, 2023, 12:35:27 pm »

Netflix's Blue Eye Samurai is really good. Arcane-level good. So much quality in the animation and the voice acting and the everything.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 15, 2023, 07:44:37 pm »

I'm still making my way through JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Holy smokes are there a lot of episodes!

And it keeps getting more bizarre. I'm actually surprised.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 15, 2023, 08:23:03 pm »

That sure was a thing.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 16, 2023, 12:36:08 am »

just finished the first season of Invincible, it was really good
very rough in patches, especially at some points with the animation or dialogue, but when it hit hard, it hit really hard
my verdict so far is that the very strong emotional core and interesting plot mostly make up for certain slips or failures
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: December 16, 2023, 01:27:56 pm »

Netflix's Blue Eye Samurai is really good. Arcane-level good. So much quality in the animation and the voice acting and the everything.
Well, that turned out disappointing towards the end. It was so close to being great. Turns out the writing doesn't quite hold up to the level of animation, even as it starts strong. Starting roughly in ep. 6 (of eight) it falls apart at the seams - weird tonal shifts, odd music choices, lapses of logic, relying on tired tropes, power creep, plot holes and contradictions to move the plot forward. To be fair, it's on a level of your average anime in all of that. But it could have been so much more.
The first five episodes make for a really good samurai flick, with only an occasional hiccup or two. And it remains some of the best naturalistic animation I've seen, with quite a bit of visual flair.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: January 07, 2024, 10:19:03 pm »

I finished watching the first season of Severance, another really solid show from AppleTV.

This one is set in an office space, at a corporation that does stuff so super secret that they require their employees to undergo a process called 'severance', effectively splitting their memories so that they have one life at work and another when they leave. This creates the interesting situation where if the outside person ever decides to quit their job, the inside person effectively dies! On top of that, there are some mysteries surrounding the true nature of the corporation and the secret stuff they're hiding.

Second season is well underway and hopefully will arrive soon.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67