Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 67

Author Topic: what tv shows are you currently watching?  (Read 105229 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: what tv shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #945 on: October 23, 2023, 01:35:41 am »

Spiderverse start? What about Alien vs Predator and Hockey Mask vs Knife Fingers? They deserve their earned positions
Love, scriver~

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: October 24, 2023, 03:26:12 am »

Ring vs the grudge, is a thing.

Also Star Wars lore seems like a confusing mess of contradictions and dropped plot lines.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: October 24, 2023, 07:51:52 am »

It's why I thought the "layers of canonity" of the old Star Wars Canon was a genius thing. It's one of the few instances of fantom actually understanding the purpose of fiction canons rather than treating them as holy scripture in my opinion.
Love, scriver~

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: October 24, 2023, 01:37:49 pm »

It's why I thought the "layers of canonity" of the old Star Wars Canon was a genius thing. It's one of the few instances of fantom actually understanding the purpose of fiction canons rather than treating them as holy scripture in my opinion.

I am afraid that Disney will "fix" it with a hard reboot and remake the original trilogy
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: October 25, 2023, 03:32:39 am »

Oh god that's be awful, and haven't we had enough shitty remakes recently, I mean where's the creativity gone?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: October 25, 2023, 03:30:50 pm »

Oh god that's be awful, and haven't we had enough shitty remakes recently, I mean where's the creativity gone?

People watch remakes, people pay for remakes, and people pay more for nostalgia and familiarity than for creativity.

One funny thing here is that AIs are bad (and probably will be for a long time) in true creativity. But AIs are becoming better than humans in remakes. I think that we are not that far away from a film-making AI that will easily complete requests like "remake Star Wars Episode IV as if it was filmed in the year 2008 with the following cast of actors:"
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: October 25, 2023, 04:27:24 pm »

"Remake Episode I... But better."

(Actually, "Remake Episode I, and onwards, following the Darths & Droids version of the plot." That'd be interesting.)
((Oh, ye gods, I just effectively caltropped[1] myself! I decided to reread a few pages, then a few more, then...
[1] https://xkcd.com/2467/

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: October 25, 2023, 11:13:22 pm »

"Remake Episode I... But better."

(Actually, "Remake Episode I, and onwards, following the Darths & Droids version of the plot." That'd be interesting.)
((Oh, ye gods, I just effectively caltropped[1] myself! I decided to reread a few pages, then a few more, then...
[1] https://xkcd.com/2467/

If I had such an AI, my first Star Wars request would be "Remake and expand the prequel trilogy into new episodes of The Clone Wars with corresponding style and characterizations"
_________

BRW, I believe that animated series are the best medium for the Star Wars universe. The Ahsoka series, (aka 5th season of Rebels), would lose nothing from staying animated except being cheaper to produce and allowing more hours in the series to develop the plot.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: October 26, 2023, 03:42:23 am »

People watch remakes, people pay for remakes, and people pay more for nostalgia and familiarity than for creativity.
Guess I'm the weird one then because I don't watch the remakes I'd rather watch the original, and if I'm gonna pay for something I'll get the original one rather than a crappy reproduction.

Maximum™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL_SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: October 26, 2023, 09:33:17 pm »

I've binged the first season of the One Piece Live action, it's... I want to say "good" for a manga/anime adaptation but I think I'll settle on "decent at best" as a show overall. I mean, it's clear that they put a LOT of effort and care in its making but it also has some serious flaws.

The good:
 - The story is mostly intact. Understandably there's been some changes (some characters were cut, some were introduced earlier, a few new plot points were added) but they mostly serve to condense the story, not change it.
 - Like the story, the characters are mostly true to their manga/anime counterparts, there are few visual alterations (Luffy doesn't wear chanclas, Ussop doesn't have such a long nose etc) but the mannerisms, motivations, goals, attitudes are there.
 - Details! LOTS of details! From the characters in the background to the main characters' outfits (they change clothes every few episodes but they still use the outfits they would wear in later arcs). Even the figurehead of the Going Merry, they could have make it look like the original but instead they changed it to a far more expressive one that looks like it was hand carved by some really skilled craftsman.

The bad:
 - There is some tonal shift between episodes, like they haven't made up their minds how they want to portray the world. Zoro is introduced cutting a person in half which isn't really in the style of the source material or the following episodes either. Similarly Buggy (a clown themed pirate) at first feels more like the Joker (from Batman) but later settles to his true, goofy persona.
 - The world feels a lot more grounded to reality than in the manga/anime. By itself that's not a problem but, to me, it makes the more fantastical elements feel jarring when they come in screen.
 - Most of the special effects are good but the fishmen look BAD, like something out of Hercules/Xena or even the Power Rangers.
 - The biggest problem in my opinion, is that they seem to have some screenwriting or, i should say, pacing issues. While watching I felt that a lot of the emotional beats fell flat, like there wasn't enough build up, to justify and make them feel earned.
See this is weird to me, I've been regularly reading One Piece since Marineford, I watch it occasionally on adult swim, I've shown her some of it, I was giddy showing her the Gear 5 stuff, and later showing her the animated version was fun.

Nerd cred to her for going "so basically he's Popeye level broken?" because yeah, toon physics > everything else.

So she jumped in knowing the show later on, had only seen a bit of Koby and Buggy and Garp but it hooked her straight away (even though strictly speaking Garp didn't show up/grand-dad reveal til Enies Lobby/Water Seven) and I had a blast pulling up panels from the early chapters to show her that as a general rule, if you see an odd clothing pattern/style, a weird background statue, strange facial hair, odd boats, it's pulled straight from the manga.

Still, with little background in the early story it got her up to speed and invested easily, to the point she wanted to space them out a bit instead of just binge them, so we wouldn't run out too fast. The last episode has both of us psyched for more to come, Smoker and Tashigi will be great, it'll be fun seeing them reach Reverse Mountain, Little Garden, Cactus Island, set up Drum Island, Alabasta, and more.

Also, I personally love the casting they did with Koby and Garp and Garp calling him son was a nice touch.

Note that he didn't have a teddy bear hat, it was a bulldog hat.

Also: Buggy starts out seeming like a serious threat and gets the upper hand early on before the crew get serious and quickly outclass him, exactly like the live action one.

When you consider Buggy and Shanks...
...honestly the casting of both of them were perfect.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 09:43:48 pm by Maximum™ »
This is not a signature.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: November 04, 2023, 07:05:54 pm »

Three episodes into Travelers.  Interesting so far.

I'm wondering if it's going to go 12 Monkeys or a different route.

EDIT:
Spoiler: real spoilers (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 07:09:41 pm by McTraveller »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: November 04, 2023, 08:35:41 pm »

I remember that. I've only seen the first season, but it was really good. In a weird, low-key fashion. An acquaintance sat to watch it on my recommendation, and couldn't see the appeal.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: November 11, 2023, 01:51:16 pm »

Loki has concluded it's second and likely final season.

Most of this season followed Loki and some Time-Engineers trying to address the problem of an exponentially-expanding multiverse with an incremental and finite increase of bandwidth...which was obviously an ill-conceived plan from the start and fittingly failed miserably. But the effort served as a sort of training montage for Loki, allowing him to power-up and brute-force a solution that I didn't hate.

Overall, I think Loki's series provided an interesting and meaningful step forwards for the multiverse arc of the MCU.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: November 13, 2023, 07:43:48 pm »

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Yes, yes it is.

Maximum™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL_SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: November 13, 2023, 08:03:21 pm »

Missus once called it "A most ridiculous opera."
This is not a signature.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 67